PDA

View Full Version : Formula fastech going faster!!!

LiPo Power
06-21-2009, 04:56 PM
Need for speed never ends! Daren’s suggestions to detail tweak this boat will increase the speed and stability for sure so it has to be the starting point for every newbie with Formula Fastech going faster. After that she was upgraded by the new prop X642 from OSE, motor and ESC stock with second cooling line just in case. Speed went up to 38.9 MPH!!! No temperature problems, all below 90F. Next, COG was shifted back by moving the batteries farther back and prop strut was adjusted to get her nose little bit up from the water. With this set up she was fast but less stable. I went to the pond again. Alone this time because DOBY was out of reach and I could not make him join me at the pond with his GPS. This time my Formula went to water with FEIGAO 540 8XL motor and Castle Hydra-120 ESC powered by 2 x 2500mAh 25C 3S batteries, STOCK PROP! This was such a surprise I could not stop enjoying this boat on the pond. Very fast and STABLE! No GPS :doh: . After 2 round’s I have changed the prop to X642 with the same power setup. This time she was very chine walking and less stable, good environment to dive the boat on corners! Back to the shore for switch of power plant again and back to stock prop. Next setup was FEIGAO motor, CC Hydra-120, 2 x 5000mAh, 40C, 7.4V, 2S, Thunder Power batteries. She was FAST!!! No GPS :doh:. This boat was so cool to play with I could not believe it’s actually happening! I think speeds went all the way to around 40MPH for sure. I will have GPS next time to check my testing and snap few pictures or perhaps video if other guys will join the pond. I am planning to do the same testing on my BJ that is still waiting for the Fullers hardware overhaul to come back from the shop.

Conclusion:
-Larger prop like X642 with stock power plant, good 2 x 7.4V LiPo 2S batteries and micro Daren’s tweaks will get you speed’s on straight run up to around 38MPH but the boat will be less stable and slow at corners.
-much faster setup will include higher RPM motor, higher AMP Esc and 2 x 3S LiPo batteries but need to go back to stock prop! My testing with higher power plant and larger prop did not do huge magic and with higher speed’s boat was not stable enough to blink your eyes. Never mind the corners.
That is it for now. There is not too many posts of how to mod your Formula Fastech so I hope this will help a bit. I like my boat a lot. It is not as fast as my UL-1 will be or DOBYS new pet but I think Pro Boats Formula Fastech is great to have for newbie like myself getting in to it……….
:tiphat:

sn00p
06-23-2009, 05:22 AM
im running X642 prop and 5s split 2/3s with the 2s weight balanced and run in the mid to high 40's (mph) VERY stable with or without chop and all fins and running gear stock. Ive upped the steering rate by adjusting the servo linkage holes and got my CG sorted via moving my batts to suit. I personally havent found the need to adjust anything else. i can wot staright out of the hole and turn full tilt at wot as long as the boat has had time to get out of the water. If its still running a little wet i get massive over steer and the boat will dig in but still stay up right but sometimes dive under for an instant 180 lol..... man i love this boat.

LiPo Power
06-23-2009, 04:54 PM
Good news, thanks and have planty of fun, like me....

john
08-03-2009, 11:36 AM
hey lipo man , what does bending the fins do and i also used a x642 brass prop and liked stock better

LiPo Power
08-04-2009, 12:22 AM
hey lipo man , what does bending the fins do and i also used a x642 brass prop and liked stock better

more stable. On x642 my formula was faster, prop strut higher by 1/8 of an inch.

john
08-04-2009, 09:33 AM
i will raise prop srut and try again thanks, hey i am new to lipo so what can my boat hold stock i have 2 5300lipo 7.4v, but heard people putting more volts, how high can i go without damage..

Brushless55
08-27-2009, 12:26 AM
these motors will take 6s

Justiniousrowe
12-27-2009, 06:39 AM
Could someone please recommend me a brushless motor which will be compatible with a turnigy marine 180 amp esc?

cheers

Justiniousrowe
12-27-2009, 09:05 AM
And also, would it be safe to operate the boat with three 4200 mah NIMH batts at once with everything stock?
Thnx

Brushless55
12-27-2009, 12:46 PM
Could someone please recommend me a brushless motor which will be compatible with a turnigy marine 180 amp esc?

cheers

The stock motor will work great with that esc and you can use upto 6s with it

Justiniousrowe
12-27-2009, 08:12 PM
Ah k. Thnx
I've just heard people say that the esc smoked from running it on 5s so just chekin.
Cheers