PDA

View Full Version : castle esc's burning for no apparent reason

crabstick
06-20-2009, 03:23 PM
Hi Guys im interested to hear if you have had a Hydra 240 go :flashfire:

Seems to be a bit of a pattern lately
Theres a thread at RRR where three have gone :flashfire: on plugin with a fairly experienced modeller.

RMZDADDY
06-20-2009, 04:21 PM
This is the second year running a Hydra 240 in a sport 20 hydro.
8XL, x640. No problems as of yet.

wolf IV
06-20-2009, 04:32 PM
I voted once but ive had two go up for no reason, actually three ... The first was a while back and i just plugged it in and ((puff)) ...the other two i had fr a little longer.

Gary
06-20-2009, 04:50 PM
Im on 2 years in my Hydro . The trick is when I plug in the last battery conector i say. " O please Hydra Gods, dont burn up , ive been a good boy" This has worked for me.LOL But this trick does not work on Hymodels.burned up two of those LOL

crabstick
06-20-2009, 08:31 PM
the reason I ask this is I know people always speak up about problems, but not often do you hear someone say " oh i lurrve my .... it goes mint "

EPower
06-21-2009, 03:02 AM
the reason I ask this is I know people always speak up about problems, but not often do you hear someone say " oh i lurrve my .... it goes mint "

Hey m8 this might be the wrong place to start this poll you know these guys (Americans) :zip-up: if it's made in America it must be the best in the world :rofl::roflol::rofl: :beerchug:

Adrian

DISAR
06-21-2009, 03:11 AM
Oh Adrian, don't be so

I am very interested to see the results. I have burnt many others HM,ETTI on 6s but Hydra not yet because I do not have one. Thinking to buy one.

Simon.O.
06-21-2009, 03:25 AM
If this is too far off topic then a mod can remove it with my permission now.

I have not blown a CC for the same reason that I have not shagged a fat chick.
I would not touch one with a barge pole.

I can get a 200A Chinese ESC to my door (about $50 USD) for under a quarter of the price of a CC sourced locally.
If the Chi speedy goes bang it goes in the bin
If a CC goes bang I am up for about $40 USD in post to send it back and have it returned.
I can get 3 more Chi ESC's and have them here quicker than it take to send to US- repair/replace and return.

Don't get me wrong here as I have blown a few of the small Chi speedies but that was bad usage by me.

If you buy a CC then look after it. Accept the fact that it may (as any speedy can) go bang.
Consider the distance and time that it will take to have it sent and repaired or replaced, or worst case not !

Go for the CC if you want.
I'll pass thanks.

ozzie-crawl
06-21-2009, 03:56 AM
well i am going to have to go with simon on this
would cost me around $355 au for a hydra 240 to my door
for the same money i can get 5 hi model speedies
and like most escs some of these go pop, i have killed a few but only from water.
have pulled 160 amps threw these with no water cooling :banana:
only thing i cant agree on with simon is i have shagged a fat chick :tape:

Raydee
06-21-2009, 07:35 AM
I don't think anyone that lives in the US and buys a CC product is going to back them just because they are made in the USA. The main reason that they are so popular here is simply because we can get them fast with cheap shipping and the company has a pretty good warranty service compared to many other's. I have only had one CC controller burn out of the 10 or so I have run and that was because I got a bad Feigao motor that wasn't turning properly and it melted the controller down. I sent the controller in to Castle with $75 and they sent me a brand new one....pretty good service in my mind.

I don't buy products from outside the US...even used because the shipping is to expensive. That is the same reason I don't buy Lehner motors or Schulze controllers. If Schulze or Lehner were in the US that would be a different story. I know guys here in the states that have to spend up to $40 just to send a Schulze in for a update....forget that. I don't blame you guys in different countries for not wanting to buy a Castle ESC because they are to far away....that's not Castle's fault though just like its not Schulze's fault that they are so far away from me.

Now on the flip side I will say that I have not been real happy with the software in the CC esc's that have given me fits for a while. I have updated a friends 3 Barracuda ESC's to the newest firmware that all stopped working right after....2 wouldn't respond and one let the magic smoke out. All three of these controllers ran perfect before the update and did nothing right after. They are all at Castle as we speak being repaired under warranty...another reason why we love to use Castle products.

Right now I am running a HV180, and a LV240 on 1.04 and they are running great BUT I have a LV120 that is acting very weird. I am guessing that their is something starting to go in the controller that is causing my boat to run slow, I already changed the motor and cells to brand new ones and the problem is still there.

PS no fat chicks for me ;)

RMZDADDY
06-21-2009, 09:17 AM
Hey m8 this might be the wrong place to start this poll you know these guys (Americans) :zip-up: if it's made in America it must be the best in the world :rofl::roflol::rofl: :beerchug:

Adrian

You know, not all americans are that narrow minded:tiphat:
For the record, my favorite esc is still my 3-year old Hacker navy 77.

egneg
06-21-2009, 11:56 AM
The only US made controller I have is a Cermark airplane controller adapted to use for boats and all the others are made elsewhere.

Punisher 67
06-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Just tagging along , good topic and some good points...................:tiphat:

I too have had a few fat chicks in my day but prefer the marylin Munroe coke bottle big hooters figure types , you certainly do stay warn on a cold night camping...........:laugh::laugh:

U.L. HYDRO DRIVER ICE
06-24-2009, 07:28 PM
How good are etti compared to castle or are they better

bustitup
06-24-2009, 07:48 PM
If this is too far off topic then a mod can remove it with my permission now.

I have not blown a CC for the same reason that I have not shagged a fat chick.
I would not touch one with a barge pole.

I can get a 200A Chinese ESC to my door (about $50 USD) for under a quarter of the price of a CC sourced locally.
If the Chi speedy goes bang it goes in the bin
If a CC goes bang I am up for about $40 USD in post to send it back and have it returned.
I can get 3 more Chi ESC's and have them here quicker than it take to send to US- repair/replace and return.

Don't get me wrong here as I have blown a few of the small Chi speedies but that was bad usage by me.

If you buy a CC then look after it. Accept the fact that it may (as any speedy can) go bang.
Consider the distance and time that it will take to have it sent and repaired or replaced, or worst case not !

Go for the CC if you want.
I'll pass thanks.

simon do you just use the auto detect for size of lipo....like when running 4s or 5s or 6s do you set it by beeps or auto?....voltage cutoff is default auto detect also correct?

kevakov
06-24-2009, 09:21 PM
I'm all for the CC Hydra 240, I did have some problems at first but that was all on me because I was not using the Castle link to program the ESC. I ve been hammering that ESC on a Matrix rigger for months now and its great, its even been dunked in the water .

Rumdog
06-24-2009, 10:10 PM
I would never spend that kind of cash on a esc. I buy Chinese. Water cool it myself. Waterproof it myself and get it shipped to my house in 7 days for under $100.00.

U.L. HYDRO DRIVER ICE
06-24-2009, 10:18 PM
would a mystery 200amp work or is there another china esc suggestion

crabstick
06-24-2009, 10:28 PM
the Turnigy 180 amp seems to be popular at the moment

Normal price at hobby king is 129$ us but with a platinum membership like mine (just from buying a bit of stuff) its only $89 which is a pretty good discount if you ask me

Rumdog
06-24-2009, 10:29 PM
Hi-model 200amp 8s esc is fantastic! About $55.00

Brod
06-25-2009, 08:01 AM
Hi-model 200amp 8s esc is fantastic! About $55.00

Link please?
Brod..

Eyekandyboats
06-25-2009, 11:26 AM
i have great luck with all my castl products.
however a month ago i popped a hydra 120 for no reason.. i ran a small 3300 Mah 25 C lipo ( not capable of delivering 120 amps on a hacker 7L. and i rann a 35 MM prop.
but other then that i was good

DISAR
06-25-2009, 01:15 PM
One thing I would like to mention is that, the applied voltage must be 2s below the ESC's max.voltage. If planning to use 6s, buy at least an 8s ESC. Another thing is that I would never, never,never buy an ETTI 7s or a Himodel 7s or 8s to use on 6s. Burnt enough, maybe they are good for 4-5 times but after they are for the trash.
Testing the Maytech 200A monster now and so far so good.

Flying Scotsman
06-25-2009, 02:08 PM
Could this be the problem? Courtesy of ETTI. As this may be a design problem for the HV controllers. Do not get me wrong I own 3 CC controllers, not HV and have had no problems. This problem of POOf on plug in is related to the HV series controllers only !!! If you run 6S on the LV series it will probably go poof

Douggie

Simon.O.
06-25-2009, 03:52 PM
simon do you just use the auto detect for size of lipo....like when running 4s or 5s or 6s do you set it by beeps or auto?....voltage cutoff is default auto detect also correct?
Mystery 200A
I run it as it came out of the packet, well packaging as there is not even a packet or instructions.
I use it on 4S feeding a 7XL loaded on a 642 prop in my bigger rigger.
I have brass cooling tubes on the stock alloy finned plate. I ground off the outer two fins each side and use square tube on there.
It gets warm but not hot.

red6
06-25-2009, 04:05 PM
I owned a few castle escs for airplanes and helis and they never popped. I think the problem might be they way they use seperate power boards to gain amps or voltage. All my heli and plane escs were one board designs.

crabstick
06-25-2009, 04:16 PM

Ah my next cheap ESC...

can you do a bit of a review thread by chance?

red6
06-25-2009, 04:20 PM
One thing I would like to mention is that, the applied voltage must be 2s below the ESC's max.voltage. If planning to use 6s, buy at least an 8s ESC. Another thing is that I would never, never,never buy an ETTI 7s or a Himodel 7s or 8s to use on 6s. Burnt enough, maybe they are good for 4-5 times but after they are for the trash.

Which one is that the hv or regular?

bustitup
06-25-2009, 05:19 PM
Which one is that the hv or regular?
I cant find a price on these either

DISAR
06-25-2009, 05:39 PM
It is about the size and weight of a 4s lipo. NO watercooling and waterproofing, you have to do it yourself. The price is about 200$ for the 3-10s, 200a. Only run twice until now on 4s and planning the next days to 5s and 6s in a 36"mono with a 1500kv motor.
Is is just huge comparing to HM,ETTI interms of FETS and capacitors, however I want to run it at least 10 times to be sure.