PDA

View Full Version : NEW ProBoat HydroSport 48 Gas Mono!!

Darin Jordan
06-19-2009, 12:00 PM
This is really cool... NOT FE, but cool anyhow...

ProBoat has a new Gas Mono on it's way! The HyperSport 48. It's in the right size-range to perhaps be a viable G1 Race boat, and comes with the G26M Zen motor, DX3S Marine Radio with the new MR3000 Marine RX, Decent looking hardware, etc...

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Defau...?ProdID=PRB2350 (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB2350)

http://www.proboatmodels.com/ProdInfo/PRB/450/PRB2350-450.jpg

Here is a video of the boat in action: http://www.proboatmodels.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB2350_hi.wmv

I'm trying to get one of these to bring to the 2009 NAMBA Nats, but we're not sure if production versions will be available by then. Hopefully they are...

Jeff Wohlt
06-20-2009, 01:23 AM
Looks pretty nice and very nice speed from the box!

Darin Jordan
06-25-2009, 01:01 PM
I just got a call from Horizon Hobby/ProBoat and they are sending me the production sample of this boat to race at the 2009 NAMBA Nats next month!

I've only entered G1 Mono, since it's on Monday and I can afford to make it a 3-day weekend (P-Mono on Sat, P-Hydro on Sun, G1-Mono on Monday), and I've never driven a Gas boat before, so I'm not comfortable in GX-1...

I'll let you know how it works out and will post some pictures when I get it here...

Should be fun... Might even be "transformational"... ;)

Brushless55
06-26-2009, 10:49 AM
Very cool..
I would love to get into gas boats at a decent price

Darin Jordan
06-27-2009, 01:15 PM
In case anyone is interested, here is a link to the manual for this boat which shows more details.

I'll be studying this myself a LOT before July 13th!

http://www.proboatmodels.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB2350-Manual.pdf

bustitup
06-27-2009, 01:27 PM
I have been looking at gasser vids and i'm very impressed with the run times and speed also...sound pretty cool also.......much more dependable than Nitro.....and seems like its really cheap to run and if you like big rc boats its almost a no brainer compared to the price of seting up a FE large hull boat

sailr
06-27-2009, 03:02 PM
Darin,
Is G1 mono a "stock" class? I look at the gassers from time to time and think I might like to get into it too until I look at the real cost of being competitive with the big boys 'round here. If G1 is a 'stock' class, that might be fun! Looks like better speed than most of the RTR's.

Nice looking boat. Really cool use of the radar arch as a launch handle! Good for you that you get to try it as a freebie! Keep us posted on how it goes!

Darin Jordan
07-01-2009, 10:58 AM
I received the HyperSport 48 last night... Biggest box related to RC boating that I've ever received, that's for sure...

Boat looks really good. Fiberglass work is solid for a RTR, and the hull bottom is nice a rigid; well braced with structure from the inside, and the edges are crisp.

The hardware is of a very good quality. Feels solid and is very smooth, with a gunmetal gray anodizing. No slop in the strut. Looks like they've done like they do it their other boats with the flex... they use a cone piece at the nose of the strut that is attached to the flex (with set screw), so to get the flex cable out, you have to undo the coupler, and I think the nose-cone, then it'll slide out. I'll check this out tonight when I get into it further, because when it arrived, the strut was unbolted. The instructions show that you have to take the entire strut off to lube the cable, so I could be mistaken about the set-screw on the nosecone. This is something I'd like to see changed, as once the strut is set, I hate to take it loose just to lube the cable.

Boat comes with an aluminum ProBoat prop with has the exact same specs as a Prather 270. I'll play with this prop a little to make sure it's balanced and sharpened and then run it and we'll see how she does. I don't own any big Gas boat props, so this one will have to do for now. Would like to get an ABC 2614/3 or 2714/3, but I'm not sure if these will work on a bone-stock Zen motor (any advice???).

The radio is AWESOME! Amazing that a RTR boat would come with a full-blown Spektrum 2.4 system but it does! DX3S with the new Marine MR3000 RX installed.

Radio box is easy to get to. Not sure I like having to undo all the screws to get to it, but I suppose you don't have to all that often.

I'll be picking up some 2-cycle synthetic tonight and will get some gas mixed up and then see about getting some test time.

My overall impression (and I'm fairly picky), is WOW! This is COOL! I think even the vetrans out there will appreciate the decent quality of this boat. My goal is to get through all the heats at the 2009 NAMBA Nats in a couple of weeks, finishing the best I can, and see if this would be a good option for someone starting out in Gas boat racing. Would be cool if, by upgrading the motor to full G1 specs, this boat could at least be competitive and provide someone the opportunity to race and be in the mix.

We'll see!

Darin Jordan
07-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Some more angles...

Darin Jordan
07-01-2009, 11:00 AM
And yet, a few more...

Brushless55
07-01-2009, 12:26 PM
good looking gasser!

sailr
07-01-2009, 05:07 PM
Sounds good Darin. Let us know about speed. Most of the big stock gassers aren't that great in that category.

tylerm
07-01-2009, 07:17 PM
Thats not many bolts on the radio box compared to some of the proboat boxes i've seen:laugh:

Needs a pipe:bounce:

Darin Jordan
07-01-2009, 10:01 PM
Needs a pipe:bounce:

I agree... but I'm going to run it as it comes initially, just to find out what we have here...

If I find myself the proud owner of one of these, then the "upgrade" thread will begin! :thumbup1:

Tunda
07-02-2009, 09:06 AM
Darin nice boat but why is some of the parts have rust already?

Darin Jordan
07-02-2009, 09:38 AM
Darin nice boat but why is some of the parts have rust already?

These boats aren't going to be available, according to the Horizon site, until August. This is a Production Test Sample that was used for all the photo shoots and the video on the ProBoat site, so it's seen some water time. Looks like it may have had time in the salt water as well...

Eodman
07-02-2009, 09:46 AM
Hell that means we'll see it in January after the water gets hard!

Tunda
07-02-2009, 10:04 AM
Thats what i thought Darin the boat looks awsome i also have a few gas boats too........

Jeff Wohlt
07-02-2009, 11:00 AM
Ha...only Darin can get away with introducing/selling a gas boat on a FE forum and not get crap. I have seen plenty others shunned or told to go to a gas site.

More power to you... :)

Darin Jordan
07-02-2009, 11:08 AM
Ha...only Darin can get away with introducing/selling a gas boat on a FE forum and not get crap. I have seen plenty others shunned or told to go to a gas site.

More power to you... :)

HA-HA... I don't recall seeing anyone shunned...

... but just wait and maybe I'll do an FE conversion... :thumbup1:

Jeff Wohlt
07-02-2009, 11:14 AM
Hey, new market to bring some gas to the FE sites...they were needing that so I applaud your efforts. To me it looks like a marketing tactic from a sponsor but since I am a marketer then I guess I would think that.

I like the boat actually. I feel it will give all the name brands a good run for the money.

Darin Jordan
07-02-2009, 01:06 PM
To me it looks like a marketing tactic from a sponsor but since I am a marketer then I guess I would think that.

Well... no, that's not it at all... I actually called them and asked if they would have one for me to race... I've always wanted to try a Gas Mono and thought it would be cool if they'd let me. They did, so we'll see how it goes...

The only reason I posted it on here was because I know there are people here who would be interested... Plus, with the design of the hatch at all, I thought this might make a nice hull consideration for an FE conversion for someone down the road...

I don't see this hobby as FE vs. Nitro vs. Gas... I'm much prefer to see us all racing together... and playing together... they're all RC BOATS to me...

Opedopy
08-23-2009, 03:40 PM
they are finally available but of course its after i spend my money on something else.
anyone get one yet?

FE_Chris
09-12-2009, 01:36 PM
Darin, how's the boat running?

Darin Jordan
10-12-2009, 04:25 PM
Darin, how's the boat running?

I haven't run it since the 2009 NAMBA Nats...

I did run it at the Nats... but I chose not to race it. A real G1 Mono runs in the 60s... has some pretty highly prepped motors, etc... This one was maybe into the 40's with the bone-stock motor. After the weekend I'd had, I didn't want to go out and be a speed bump and ruin someone elses race...

Had I had more power available, I'd have had no problem racing this boat. It's a tad on the larger side for the class, but it ran well and handled really well... Might have gotten a little loose with more power, but I think it would have bee quite race-able... One of the organizers said "that looks very respectable for a stock motor"...

I just got off the line with ProBoat and am going to be getting one of these for myself. I'm going to see what kinds of mods I can do to it to get it more raceable, including adding a tuned pipe, etc... We'll see where it ends up. I'll update this thread when I get something going...

Doug Smock
10-12-2009, 05:19 PM
I just got off the line with ProBoat and am going to be getting one of these for myself. I'm going to see what kinds of mods I can do to it to get it more raceable, including adding a tuned pipe, etc... We'll see where it ends up. I'll update this thread when I get something going...
Let me know if you decide to do a full mod on the engine. I'll hook you up with someone who will do you a great job at the right price!!

Good luck with it!
Doug

Darin Jordan
10-12-2009, 06:43 PM
Let me know if you decide to do a full mod on the engine. I'll hook you up with someone who will do you a great job at the right price!!

Good luck with it!
Doug

Doug, thanks! I may take you up on that. Not sure the hull can handle it, but when I ran it initially, it didn't look too bad for an RTR. It can handle more power for sure. How much has yet to be seen. I think the strakes are too long and may need to be trimmed forward once it starts getting fast.

We'll see...