PDA

View Full Version : Fastest UL-1 Video

nate
06-19-2009, 03:16 AM
?- Whats the fastest speeds the Ul-1 has seen, any videos from members..??

I keep hearing upper 50's....

But I havnt seen one GPS over 51mph in a video...

I guess Im not looking hard enough.. please post a vid link of a UL-1 over 52mph please!!!

:confused2:

alvinsmith75
06-19-2009, 05:07 PM
This is not me but I had saved the video on my computer. Listen at the end it was a 59mph pass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzExyBl_nag

Ub Hauled
06-19-2009, 05:16 PM
That was Brian Buaas testing the UL before the public release last years SAW at Legg Lake... from what I understand he got 63-64mph after tempering with props and air dam... the rest was stock.

nate
06-19-2009, 06:17 PM
That was Brian Buaas testing the UL before the public release last years SAW at Legg Lake... from what I understand he got 63-64mph after tempering with props and air dam... the rest was stock.

Nah none of that crap, Im talking about straight out of the box with prop swap people claim 50mph...

It seems like Iv heard 49.0 from a prop swap, strut adj. and really powerful 30c lipos..

I wanna see it...

Drag Boat Bob
06-19-2009, 09:46 PM
Nah none of that crap, Im talking about straight out of the box with prop swap people claim 50mph...

It seems like Iv heard 49.0 from a prop swap, strut adj. and really powerful 30c lipos..

None of that crap... I wanna see it...

Crap??? I wanna see it???

Why the absolute need?

What? you don't believe the stills???

Or, is there something else here???

I joined this forum to share information. If you really don't believe, then move on...

detox
06-19-2009, 09:54 PM
Nate is an idiot.....................couldn't help it. Just kidding

Mine also did 50.2 mph using 25c G3 lipos and GR L40 x 57/3 prop

line6
06-19-2009, 10:10 PM
Best i got is a 48.1 with a M440. I have bigger props to try just working on getting good run times and not so much heat. Maybe tomorrow if i get out i will bring a video camera and put some bigger props for some speed runs.

nate
06-20-2009, 12:42 AM
Nate is an idiot.....................couldn't help it. Just kidding

Mine also did 50.2 mph using 25c G3 lipos and GR L40 x 57/3 prop

Detox Video...???

nate
06-20-2009, 12:43 AM
Crap??? I wanna see it???

Why the absolute need?

What? you don't believe the stills???

Or, is there something else here???

I joined this forum to share information. If you really don't believe, then move on...

Nope thats not how I role man I wanna see one on the GPS above 50's.. Sorry you don't like that man...

NativePaul
06-20-2009, 05:49 AM
Nate, you believe GPS but don't believe the timing lights? Seems arse about face to me.

LiPo Power
06-20-2009, 11:24 AM
Nate, what speed did you get on your moded UL-1?

nate
06-20-2009, 01:32 PM
Nate, what speed did you get on your moded UL-1?

You will see when I post a video, Im waiting for my GPS so Im sure of the speeds, above 55 Im almost sure.

Hey could be 25mph who knows..

Im just giving a hard time :buttrock:

Ub Hauled
06-20-2009, 03:39 PM

I wanna see it...

Nate, it was JUST A PROP SWAP... I was there when he placed the air dam, crossed the lights and ran 63mph.
The clip posted is just a regular outta the box UL+prop.

nate
06-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Nate, the clip you have posted IS JUST A PROP SWAP... I was there when he placed the air dam, crossed the lights and ran 63mph.
The clip you posted is just a regular outta the box UL+prop.

Clip I posted, Were?...I havn't posted a video lol...:confused2:

Hmm, well, Thats one fast UL-1 Vid that Alvin Posted.

Boatman
06-21-2009, 12:47 AM
Thats what he meant. Brian pulled that one from a box and swapped props. Also you claim your to do over 55? that is screammmminng. I cant wait to see that video. You may end up with a plank out infront holding your lipo's to keep the thing on the water!HA!

Ub Hauled
06-21-2009, 03:02 AM
Clip I posted, Were?...I havn't posted a video lol...:confused2:

Hmm, well, Thats one fast UL-1 Vid that Alvin Posted.

Post corrected... my bad...

propilotguide
06-21-2009, 11:37 AM
What are you guys doing to be able to produce upper 45+ mph passes? I've got a scratch built twin-wing Circus Circus boat (painted as the American Spirit) with a UL-1 motor/esc and have only pulled off 44.2 mph passes with an X645 prop (25C MaxAmps batteries). Tried the M440 next and only got 42 mph. What prop was Brian using when he hit 63-64 mph? Thanks for the help!

detox
06-21-2009, 11:45 AM
Here it is...MODIFIED Octura 2047, but be careful or you will pop a cap. It would be good idea to add extra capacitors before using large props (larger than 40mm).

Hey guys, I finally got my hands on a computer.

The UL-1 really suprised me. I put an M445 on it for it's first pass, I flew it off and tumbled through the traps at 45mph. So I had a rough baseline. Next pass was with an M645 and 3/16" deeper on the strut, 52mph with a good ride attitude but still too light on the sponsons. 3rd pass was with a modified 2047 and a 1/2" deep tape air dam in the tunnel, 59mph pedaling it through the lights. Final pass was the same prop and air dam but 3/32" deeper on the strut, 65.7mph with a high 64mph return run. Temps on the final 2 passes were: motor 114F, ESC 126F, battery 109F (it had cooled down).

Stock motor/esc/hull. I didn't even touch the sponson bottoms. Total mods from out of the box: remove turn fin and vertical fins, tape air dam, strut adjustment and a fairly trick octura 2047. I did run my Futaba FASST 2.4G radio.

Then I put the turnfin back on with a 38x55 grimracer prop and ran 41mph for 8 minutes in rough water. I LIKE IT!!!

After the SAW passes

detox
06-21-2009, 11:53 AM
Glass smooth water with slight wind ripple on surface is the trick for fast speeds. If water is too choppy prop and hull will jump out of water slowing UL-1 down. Deep strut setting helps also (1 1/8" -1 1/4" worked for me)

nate
06-21-2009, 12:28 PM
Thats what he meant. Brian pulled that one from a box and swapped props. Also you claim your to do over 55? that is screammmminng. I cant wait to see that video. You may end up with a plank out infront holding your lipo's to keep the thing on the water!HA!

Yea lol. I really wanted to wait until my GPS arrived so I could find out... What if it was 60's lol wow! :banana:

Nah Im exspecting 52-55mph...Im almost sure...could be wrong, but Im hoping, cause she's screaming.

Iv done all my passes so far on an m445.. Id like to swap over to an x442 with 6s2p.

Then Id most likely:

A: Need Air brakes
B: Blow over before 65mph
C:It blows up in flames.

Haha.

I need and x445.. S&B Got one anybody???

nate
06-21-2009, 12:30 PM
Glass smooth water with slight wind ripple on surface is the trick for fast speeds. If water is too choppy prop and hull will jump out of water slowing UL-1 down. Deep strut setting helps also (1 1/8" -1 1/4" worked for me)

Hey detox, would you mind posting the pictures of you UL-1 with the Neu setup.. isnt you run high 50's???....

properchopper
06-21-2009, 01:19 PM
This is not me but I had saved the video on my computer. Listen at the end it was a 59mph pass.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nzExyBl_nag

That was my video of the 59 mph pass, and I witnessed the other passes in the 65 mph zone. I drove that boat that day, held it in my hand, and it was only changed as Brian said. Know too that SAW times are an average course speed, usually the boat accelerates way faster than the average speed at the end of the course. I watched Jeorg M. do his 141 mph record in 2006, and trained observers estimated a 160 + speed coming out of the trap one one single pass. I KNOW I'll get flamed for this [ Douggie help me out here :canada:] but all this " what's the fastest it'll go" hysteria seems wasted on a RTR which handles reasonably well at a design speed in the mid forties but develops all sorts of spastic behavior at higher speeds.
Whatever ! :smile:

nate
06-21-2009, 02:06 PM
That was my video of the 59 mph pass, and I witnessed the other passes in the 65 mph zone. I drove that boat that day, held it in my hand, and it was only changed as Brian said. Know too that SAW times are an average course speed, usually the boat accelerates way faster than the average speed at the end of the course. I watched Jeorg M. do his 141 mph record in 2006, and trained observers estimated a 160 + speed coming out of the trap one one single pass. I KNOW I'll get flamed for this [ Douggie help me here :canada:] but all this " what's the fastest it'll go" hysteria seems wasted on a RTR which handles reasonably well at a design speed in the mid forties but causes all sorts of spastic behavior at higher speeds.

So the 59mph pass was straight from the box with a diffrent prop... What prop was this?...

59mph for a RTR boat is great...

:popcorn2:

properchopper
06-21-2009, 02:24 PM
So the 59mph pass was straight from the box with a diffrent prop... What prop was this?...

59mph for a RTR boat is great...

:popcorn2:

I really don't recall, but I think Brian disclosed this somewhere in a post. It's really a moot issue; once Brian "tunes" a prop, It doesn't resemble anything us mere mortals can get our hands on, just so you know. As a matter of fact, I showed up at the NAMBA time trials yesterday ready to set the P-OPC tunnel record with my rather fast running VS-1/UL-1 tunnel, and there was Mr. Buass grinning at with me with his well prepared fleet. With essentially the same setup [other than prop], Brian was a good 6 mph faster than my VS-1, which unexpectedly developed all kinds of outdrive issues culminating in a terminal servo malfunction. :sad:

nate
06-21-2009, 03:18 PM
I really don't recall, but I think Brian disclosed this somewhere in a post. It's really a moot issue; once Brian "tunes" a prop, It doesn't resemble anything us mere mortals can get our hands on, just so you know. As a matter of fact, I showed up at the NAMBA time trials yesterday ready to set the P-OPC tunnel record with my rather fast running VS-1/UL-1 tunnel, and there was Mr. Buass grinning at with me with his well prepared fleet. With essentially the same setup [other than prop], Brian was a good 6 mph faster than my VS-1, which unexpectedly developed all kinds of outdrive issues culminating in a terminal servo malfunction. :sad:

So the guy can create one badass prop is that it?....

So pretty much any Noob getting into the sport of RC boats can't buy the UL-1... swap to a Grim prop or nice Octura and run 59mph.

:tongue_smilie:

properchopper
06-21-2009, 05:30 PM
So pretty much any Noob getting into the sport of RC boats can't buy the UL-1... swap to a Grim prop or nice Octura and run 59mph.

:tongue_smilie:

Nate, While I honestly can't fathom where you're going with this, please consider the following :

Brian's 59 & 65 mph passes were made through the SAW traps.

A 60 mph SAW pass takes approximately 3.75 seconds.

If the noob[sic] wants to make 3.75 second runs there are bolt-on Grim or Octura props that can make it happen.

There will, however, be some downsides to this :doh:

detox
06-21-2009, 05:48 PM

If you would read my earlier post I posted which prop it was :tape:

ignore list?

nate
06-21-2009, 06:29 PM
Here it is...MODIFIED Octura 2047, but be careful or you will pop a cap. It would be good idea to add extra capacitors before using large props (larger than 40mm).

My bad, Calm down Detox lol.

K got ya.

nate
06-21-2009, 09:32 PM
Well I have another short video, This is were Im at so far.

When I got to the lake and had everything ready...I started running the boat out to the middle of the lake and all the suddon I hear a thud..lol

I must have hit a damn turtle!!

Well it bent my Speedmaster just a bit, then chopped off the tips of my prop,

I was a bit mad but still got 2 passes in, I belive it has way more in her but the prop was a bummer...

I need an x445 then I think it will see 55mph...

Ill know tUESEDAY for shure when I pick up the GPS from the post office...

Here it is.. First pass I was on and off half throttle playin around, second pass was beautiful!!!

http://i278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/th_comicbooks127.jpg (http://s278.photobucket.com/albums/kk117/clubsrt4/?action=view&current=comicbooks127.flv)

Flying Scotsman
06-23-2009, 03:27 PM
That was my video of the 59 mph pass, and I witnessed the other passes in the 65 mph zone. I drove that boat that day, held it in my hand, and it was only changed as Brian said. Know too that SAW times are an average course speed, usually the boat accelerates way faster than the average speed at the end of the course. I watched Jeorg M. do his 141 mph record in 2006, and trained observers estimated a 160 + speed coming out of the trap one one single pass. I KNOW I'll get flamed for this [ Douggie help me out here :canada:] but all this " what's the fastest it'll go" hysteria seems wasted on a RTR which handles reasonably well at a design speed in the mid forties but develops all sorts of spastic behavior at higher speeds.

I could not have said it better Tony :tiphat:

:hide:

Douggie

LuckyDuc
06-24-2009, 09:50 AM
:iagree:

The UL-1 is a good boat to get into sport hydro racing with. When you start pushing it into the mid-50s you will find yourself chasing your tail trying to make it stick to the water.
If top end speed is what you're after why not buy a rigger kit?

nate
06-24-2009, 03:15 PM
:iagree:

The UL-1 is a good boat to get into sport hydro racing with. When you start pushing it into the mid-50s you will find yourself chasing your tail trying to make it stick to the water.
If top end speed is what you're after why not buy a rigger kit?

My Ul-1 in trim very close to the 60's is very stable. I have blew over one time going against a gust of wind...

6S HYDRO
08-18-2009, 02:16 PM
i did 53.1 mph stock boat on 40/52-3 and 5s 20c batts, a 2 and a 3. i cant get the batteries back far enough for it to even get close to blowing over.

Capt. Crash
08-18-2009, 03:29 PM
Was that 53.1 in race trim or was it a SAW run. Did it have the turn fin on? I tried mine with a straight turn fin and couldn't keep it from blowing over.

6S HYDRO
08-18-2009, 04:16 PM
Race trim, full fins

Brushless55
08-20-2009, 02:30 PM
i did 53.1 mph stock boat on 40/52-3 and 5s 20c batts, a 2 and a 3. i cant get the batteries back far enough for it to even get close to blowing over.

I'm going to order some good 3s packs to go with my 2s 30c packs and give 5s a whirl! :banana:

6S HYDRO
08-20-2009, 02:35 PM
just be smart about it, keep it short and test temps. i added 2 1000uf caps to my esc and it now runs nice and cool.

Brushless55
08-20-2009, 02:37 PM
great, and it sounds like adding caps really helps..
I do have a spare 200A esc I could try out?
hmm 6s maybe :w00t:

6S HYDRO
08-20-2009, 02:42 PM
now that would be fun

Brushless55
08-20-2009, 07:05 PM
wonder how the stock motor would run with 6s?

Gary
08-30-2009, 10:32 PM
The guys i go with to the lake have run 6s in theres and it runs real strong. Havent blowed it up yet!!!!!!

Brushless55
09-05-2009, 09:41 PM
I'm going back to the lake tomorrow with my 5s go with a CF40 and see what happens.. :banana:

today was not a good day for my BEC and reciever.. :crying:

properchopper
09-05-2009, 10:12 PM
today was not a good day for my BEC and reciever.. :crying:

I'm curious what happened to your BEC & Rx. I've had 2 Tactic Rx's fail; one caught fire & one sizzled/quit; both with a CC BEC set to 5.2 volts. May have gotten slightly damp. What happened to yours ?

Brushless55
09-06-2009, 12:25 AM
I'm curious what happened to your BEC & Rx. I've had 2 Tactic Rx's fail; one caught fire & one sizzled/quit; both with a CC BEC set to 5.2 volts. May have gotten slightly damp. What happened to yours ?

What I thought was a 6s BEC was actualy a 2s-3s BEC..
on 4s is was ok but when I put 5s to it, the BEC let the magic smoke out and hurt the rx.. :crying:

I was able to run my UL-1 for about 2min and the esc temp was 109* and the motor was 120*, so not so bad on temps

ron Olson
01-20-2010, 01:41 PM
Brian used top-of-the-line battery packs and his own tweaked props, other than that it was out-of-the-box stock. The mirrors and plastic headers were removed and an air dam made from Hockey tape under the deck to keep it on the water at those speeds. The NAMBA and IMPBA timers are calibrated often to ensure accuracy, possibly much better than using a GPS and definitely better than a radar gun.
To me Legg Lake doesn't seem to be the place to set records as it appears that there isn't enough room to get a boat up to speed before hitting the first set of timers. Could Team JAG's hydro have hit higher speeds like 160? It's possible had they had the room to get it up to speed first. Look at any videos of their passes and you can see that they're still gaining speed thoughout their runs.

LarrysDrifter
05-27-2010, 10:07 PM

How do you add extra caps?Do you solder them in same place as the stock ones?And the esc is sealed.I cant see how a person would add caps if theres no access to the board.Please explain.Thanks.

Fluid
05-27-2010, 10:36 PM
Read this:

http://www.schulze-elektronik-gmbh.de/guide/gfutc-de.pdf

LarrysDrifter
05-27-2010, 10:59 PM
Wow.Thats awesome.Thanks.Now I see how to do it.But what the benefit of adding extra caps?When does it become nessesary?

Silverdragon
05-29-2010, 11:05 PM
Hey,,I am totally new to the boats,,,just got my UL-1 Superior about 5 weeks ago,,i have had it in the water 4 times,,the first time i took it out,,i had never driven a rc boat ever,,i read in my manual not to mid throttle or take it easy just putting around,,si i dropped her in and just lit the fuse so to speak,,to be honest,,it felt like i had been running this boat for years,,lol,,now i raised the prop just a hair and it is still on the stock plastic prop,,i dont know exactlly how accurate my Bushnell radar hand held gun is,,i got my wife to video the second time i took her out and she can do the camera and radar at once on a floating dock,,but the 3rd time i took her out,,i did radar gun the boat( a friend did the radar) it registered 53mph on 1rst pass and 51mph on the 2nd pass and then just stayed around 48mph till i could tell my lipo's were giving up,,,I mainly do very high speed radar passes with on-road,,i have been using my Bushnell gun to radar all my top speed rides and have compared to another bushnell and we got the same reading,,i also had a local police officer that happend by hile we were making speed passes and he was in shock to see a 1/10 scale cars blasting 100mph+++ in a relativly short run,,but he radar tested and we showed 1mph differece between his certified radar gun and my Bushnell radar gun,,
my local hobbyshop dealer says i am pushing my esc to hard(stock UL-1) with the lipo's i use,,but Auqacraft said I was ok,,but i only get about 3 minutes of solid top end running time,,and 4 to 4 1/2 minutes total run time before i hit the studder on the esc,,but no heat issues,,Aquacraft sent me a new in the pack esc to the local hobbyshop because he said it should get better run tome,,but i am just keeping it for extra till i need it,,lol,,,I run 2 2's thunderpower pro race 30c/60c burst lipo's and they are only 3900mah with deans connectors,,

SO I guess my whole point is,,is my Bushnell radar gun not as good as a actually on-board GPS,,is there much room for error????I havent posted it on you tube running,,but my wife put it onmy facebook,,,i run very fast on-roads for top speed straight runs,,so i kinda know reasonably if something is moving about the right speed it is showing on radar,,
But I am hooked and selling alot of my landbased cars/trucks and trading them for boats,,i am addicted,,something new for a change,,lol,,so now i have 2 UL-1/s and a supervee 27 and 5 nitro hydro's,,lol an wanting a room full,,the boats are just sick fun and they felt so natural from the start,,i have bought a castle hydra 120hv esc/castle 1515 1y motor for one of my UL-1's,,but havent tried it out yet,,got to get a bec it says to run the esc,,but cant wait to put 2 3's lipo in her and see what is going to happen,,hoping for some 60mph+ speeds,,but all new to me and nobody around here runs the boats that i know ,,so i am again learning it all on my own as i go,,lol,,but it pays off to learn for your self sometimes,,,
But any advice will be apprciated,,i love to see what i can make all my rc cars.trucks and boats nax out at,,my fastest brushless has just touched under 130mph,,so i am a speed addict,,lol,,,love the rush of that wicked scream of a brushless,,lol thx

Brushless55
05-30-2010, 02:53 AM
Stock prop with 3900mah batteries seams a little hard for me to believe those speeds... :confused2:

Silverdragon
05-30-2010, 10:22 AM
Hey,,I know your thinking this guy is full of it,,But thats is what my radar gun registered on the passes i ran,,,that was kinda a question to this tread was too see if anyone could verify that a Bushnell radar gun would not be acurate on the water versus the pavement???
I have had a local police officer that come to the parking lot where we do high speed on road passes with my on-road cars and he radared a couple of cars,,he registered just 1 mph difference between his certified radar gun to my bushnell radar gun,,,

i had 2 opinions locally on water radar readings,,one guy said the way a radar gun works should work on water and another fellow said he thinks that the way the way water cups on the surface kinda like a sufuce of a golf ball affect and may not read acurate due to frative quality of water since it is not dense like a hard suface,,,but the other guy that says it is correct because the radar gun is only going to bounce back off the boat itself which i have agree with that myself!!!!

i had him focous the radar on a area that i was actually blowing right by us on the dock,,we were getting rooster sprayed is how close i was passing by the dock,,boat about 3 ft away,,but as far as my UL-1,,this one has only had the prop raised because boat tended to try to nose dive upon launch,,my lipo pack are pretty new lipo's and the thunder power lipos i use the pro race seiries serve me very well in my top speed touring cars,,but i mostty own 40c/80 burst and new 50c/100c burst lipo's for my top speed cars,,they are very hot lipos and pack a serious punch,,,thx for any info ..Bobby

properchopper
05-30-2010, 10:59 AM
On the lake that I run on there's several Nitro & Gas racers that use a radar gun and they'll occasionally hit my boats with the gun. I've never been satisfied with their readings although I have no empirical data to back up my impressions. As far as the Bushnell readings on the UL-1 with the stock prop, I think that you're pretty close to the truth given the quality of your packs which I'm finding out make a huge difference - I'm discovering with data logging that the HK packs work nicely but drop down quick but hold their voltage after the drop. The better packs won't drop nearly as much and I think your results are likely to be a result of this. My UL-1 did 49.9 on the Garmin with a 40/57/3 and some budget packs, if that means anything.

Silverdragon
05-30-2010, 11:43 AM
HEY PROPPER CHOPPER,,I appreciate you kinda agreeing with me on the speed might be in the ballpark,,,I just jumped into the boats recently and would be at the local lake right now if it wasnt raining,,,i have bought 2 UL-1 brand new,a supervee 27 and so far 4 auquacraft Nitro boats and one pro boat nitro all hydro style Miss boats,,and have 2 more ladies on the way i just bought this week,, I had no idea that the boats were so much fun,,i have been running nitro for about 17 years and brushless set ups for just over 2 years now,,,I found that using the the Thunderpower pro race series with the higher constant /burst rates really got all my top end speed cars really moving and allowed me to step into the triple digits alot faster,,,i have been selling and trading off all my nitro trcks and cars to buy the boats i have so far since buying my 1rst UL-1 superior,,now i am starting to part with a few of my on-road brushless custom and a couple top speed cars i have duplicates of or have just outgrown so to speak to hop up my brushless systems for my boats9i have bought a castle 120 Hydra120hv esc/castle neu 1515 1y brushless motor for one of my UL-1 superiors,,but i assume by reading up on the esc,,i must use a BEC for the esc,,,i havent had to use one in any of my top speed on-road as of yet,,so i havent figured out how it works,,a couple guys said you can smoke your recievers with a bec,,i hooked everything up without the bec and everything works,on the bench test,,but i am afraid to try to run it in the water till i figure out if i need the bec for sure,,,it gets expensive quick when you start into another area of rc hobby and start upgrading right off the bat,,but i am a pure speed arenaline junkie,,i can faintly remember when 70 and 80mph were mindblowing speeds for my cars,,now if i cant get at least a 100mph or faster pass i am just let down,,lol,,but these boats are a entirely different realm of madness i can tell,,dont think i will see 100mph right away or in the near future,,lol,, im setting sites at 70mph for now,,lol,,the UL-1 was a blast 1 few passes,,but you always want more and it never ends,,any suggestions on what a nice set up for a top speed pass boat(would like to build a hydro style one just because the hydro look sick raping the water,,some guys are saying i better use a Cat style hull????
but if you can share,,you will have made a new best friend!!!!!I am 43,,but i love the rc world,,and they are just beating the market to death with new stuff everyday now,,,but its getting expensive to build something without a well thought out plan,,
Now i catch myself watching real powerboat races at 2 and 3 in the morning on the speed channel,,lol,,dont know what i think i am going to pick up from that,,lol,,i have tore youtube up and seen a 130mph brushless boat make 2 passes and it is driving me crazy trying to figure out what it will take to build one even close to that,,,that was justa sick fast boat!!!! I think for a second or two,,the lake level dopped and inche watching the guy make that pass,,it was like he was moses parting the sea..lol...want one bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! might have to just keep a couple cars and try to go see some rc boat racing,,,locally there is nothing but dirt tracks over here in the Augusta GA area,,so i do my own thing,,just build top speed rides,,local hobbyshop owner says he cant help me with the boats like he couldnt help me on what to start with top speed brushless cars,,he caters to the dirt guys,,but is a good guy,,but he just supplies the demand for this area,,cant hold that against him,,but appreciate a little validation on the UL-1 Passes i registered,,i have a youtube compatble cancorder and have shot one video,,wife was shooting,,so she isnt a great help with radar and camera at the same time,,but i am trying to make a set up to get video/and i guess i will buy a gps system to put in my boats so i can verify my boats speed on video,,locals said they didnt believe i had 120mph++ car,,but i shut that book real fast,,about 20 guys come out to watch one weekend and i made a best pass of 129mph,,,so i think the Augusta locals all know me,,they come up to me,your that long haired guy with the crazy fast cars,,so i guess that is my rep around here,,lol.. thx again,,prop chop!!!!Bobby (aka)2FAST4U2008 WILL BE MY VIDEO POST WHEN I GET MY YOU TUBE VIDS UP,,WIFE IS GOOD FOR COMPUTER APPS,,LOL THX AGAIN

properchopper
05-30-2010, 12:10 PM
Welcome aboard Silverdragon !:rockon2: We got lots to talk about but I'm packin' up & headin' for the lake right now so later on the chat. To wet [pun intended] your appetite - check out this vid of my Vegas [which BTW runs a 1515 1Y]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWAMNT-uLA

Tony
SoCal Fast Electrics

Silverdragon
05-30-2010, 12:46 PM
Hey Tony,,,that is a sick lady that you have put together,,that is what I am looking for,,i have a few nitro's that i was planning on trying a conversion on,,so i have the right motor,,just need a 240hv esc,,lol there is a local guy around here that raced the east coast for a few years,,so i hope to get with him and prob his mind for ways to improve on my boat mods,,i watched a few vids tou have,,all are very nice built boats,,,the VS-1 has been a boat i have been considering also,,wish we didnt have the rain going on here,,i would be at the lake myself,,but hoping for tomarrow for a good day to run,,,,it has been a pleasure meeting you,,video made me feel better,you and your group seem like great guys and aint so stuck up to invite a newcomer to this particular hobby,,,i knew the 240 esc instead would have been a better choice when i bought the 120 esc..but iwas just wanting to improve on the UL-1 superior stock set up,,no boat raceing around here anymore,,so when i do go to local lake,,its hard to run without getting flocked by people watching,,but it is a great way to meet people,,I have met alot of great people thru couple of sites and made some solid friends even though we dont live nowhere near each other,,we watch out for each other when someone is looking for certain items in the hobby,,we trade and get things for each other ,so it has worked out well for all of us so far,,But again,,pleasure to meet you and chat with you,,have fun out there today,,,unfortunately mother nature has brought me too much water this week,,if it keeps up i will be able to get some shots up and down my street with a couple of boats,,lol,,thx again,,going to check out some more of your vids and other vids you are linked too,,catch you later,,Bobby

Brushless55
05-30-2010, 01:32 PM
On the lake that I run on there's several Nitro & Gas racers that use a radar gun and they'll occasionally hit my boats with the gun. I've never been satisfied with their readings although I have no empirical data to back up my impressions. As far as the Bushnell readings on the UL-1 with the stock prop, I think that you're pretty close to the truth given the quality of your packs which I'm finding out make a huge difference - I'm discovering with data logging that the HK packs work nicely but drop down quick but hold their voltage after the drop. The better packs won't drop nearly as much and I think your results are likely to be a result of this. My UL-1 did 49.9 on the Garmin with a 40/57/3 and some budget packs, if that means anything.

Tony, the reson I think the gun or reading is off, is because he is only running 3900Mah packs and not 5000Mah packs like most of us run..
and his stock prop will flex at speed :Peace_Sign:

Brushless55
05-30-2010, 01:40 PM
Welcome aboard Silverdragon !:rockon2: We got lots to talk about but I'm packin' up & headin' for the lake right now so later on the chat. To wet [pun intended] your appetite - check out this vid of my Vegas [which BTW runs a 1515 1Y]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJWAMNT-uLA

Tony
SoCal Fast Electrics

Tony, I was reading through your comments on that page and it looks like you like the MV over the UL-1
great speeds on that sucker!
I have a MV and thought about going FE with it, but the big wing on it, I keep thinking "what if I flip it.." :crying:

Silverdragon
05-30-2010, 02:33 PM
Hey Brushless,,I have questioned the radar gun at times myself,,i am only running my UL-1 stock on 3900mah lipo's..like i mentioned earlier in my post,,i run the boat right by us to get as good of reading as possible,,but my 3900mah 30c/60c burst lipo's still pack a good punch,,my run timne is limited to 3 solid minutes roughly,,but on the 1rst couple passes the boat is screaming ,,,now i have 2 40c/80c burst lipos 3's 4800mah 3's lipos i plan to try with the castle hydra 120amp esc,castle 1515 1y motor and i have a brass polished and sharpend,balanced pro that i am going to use for the test runs,,just trying to figure out if the bec is going to work or burn my reciever,,as i am used to running very fast top end speed on-road where i am not using a bec,,,i have read up on the bec's and i have a castle bec,,but i get alot of comments that it may cook my reciever,,so i am at a loss there,,I am like a newborn coming into the brushless boats and still in diapers,,lol,,,but i made the 52mph pass and the 51mph pas back to back an d them she droped to 48mph,,so i asume my lipo's punch really well for about 50 seconds to 1 solid minute before they got loaded,,the esc.motor asnt hot,,but the lipos after 3 1/2 minutes were really hot and they took 3300 mah on my charger,,,which my cars will run for a good while and only take a mild recharge to top them back off,,but that is just straight line passes for vey short blast ,,,but iam researching and larning all i can before i just throw her in the water and just go for broke not knowing if i am going to fry something,,,i also have a single 5000mah 50c/100c burst lipo i am considering to try to use that i bought recently but i hate to burn my esc,,,,but i am loooking into getting a gps,,i have bought a nice camera to video my passes and 2 tripods,,one for radar gun and one for the camera mainly for my on-road passes,,but i am sure once i get the bec.lipo choice worked out and get the gps,,that will eliminate some guessing,,,i am kinda on my own aroun here in my area..so it is kinda messed up jumping into the boats like i have and nobody including my local hobbyshop has a clue on what to recommend,,,,i talked to castle creations because when i first got my boats,,i have mamba max motors for back upps and ask them if i could use the motors in the boats,,the guy said sure you can,,,but 2 days later a fellow told me no way,,i will blow the motors apart,,so i cant get straight answeres,,i bought my esc/neu motor just from watching youtube vids of what guys were using to get a start above stock,,so there is where i am with the boats,,kinda sad when castle tells you something and you find out they told you something stupid,,but its not there money,,so burn it up,,they will sell you plenty more,,lol,,but i will figure it out little by little,,run the stock UL-1 and nitro's till i am sure for now,,i can take any critisism since i am new and just dont know,,i appreciate it actually,,rather here that is not going to work than fry it,,thx for any good steps to help me get one of thse boats moving..just looking for maybe some 70mphs for now,,so that is my goal,,,maybe not with my UL-1 project,,but i am buying boats as i go,,and buying what i think will work till i know what works,,,a VS-1 was going to be the next hull i bought,,just to try a tunnel hull out,,thx again,,Bobby

Brushless55
05-30-2010, 05:19 PM
I run 2s 5000mah 30c packs and I am going to order 4s 4000mah 20c packs in parallel :rockon2:
5000mah 20c if they will fit

properchopper
05-31-2010, 11:46 AM
Tony, I was reading through your comments on that page and it looks like you like the MV over the UL-1
great speeds on that sucker!
I have a MV and thought about going FE with it, but the big wing on it, I keep thinking "what if I flip it.." :crying:

Todd, I love the looks of the wing ( Yeah, I'm a sucker for Bling :tongue_smilie:)
Instead of using the stock bolts, I use wooden toothpicks as a "breakaway" mounting deal. For record runs ( the MV is the current NAMBA P-Sport Hydro 2-Lap record holder) I take the wing off for less wind resistance.
BTW, now that I got your attention, I ran the Titan yesterday with the LSO setup
[BJ motor, X442 detounged & hub cut, but no fan on the motor]. After testing out my VS-1/Ul-1 powered tunnel with a very,very tricked H-5 prop I had Mark Sholund make for me for OPC racing, I put the prop on the T29 with that prop. Holy kiddidill ! :w00t: Slight cav on startup but fully airs out and I swear it was closing in on very high forties if not fifty ! With that prop on your T29/Medusa you'd need an airplane pilots licence !!! :thumbup:

Brushless55
05-31-2010, 11:54 AM
Todd, I love the looks of the wing ( Yeah, I'm a sucker for Bling :tongue_smilie:)
Instead of using the stock bolts, I use wooden toothpicks as a "breakaway" mounting deal. For record runs ( the MV is the current NAMBA P-Sport Hydro 2-Lap record holder) I take the wing off for less wind resistance.
BTW, now that I got your attention, I ran the Titan yesterday with the LSO setup
[BJ motor, X442 detounged & hub cut, but no fan on the motor]. After testing out my VS-1/Ul-1 powered tunnel with a very,very tricked H-5 prop I had Mark Sholund make for me for OPC racing, I put the prop on the T29 with that prop. Holy kiddidill ! :w00t: Slight cav on startup but fully airs out and I swear it was closing in on very high forties if not fifty ! With that prop on your T29/Medusa you'd need an airplane pilots licence !!! :thumbup:

Of man!
how do I get a prop like that? I ran a S220 on my T29 yesterday and was knocking on 48mph.. I'm blown away at the Medusa's power in this thing :rockon2:
this hull (T29) still trips me out by the way it airs out, I keep thinking its going over but it never does :w00t:

properchopper
05-31-2010, 12:01 PM
So I go to the lake & set up camp with my gasser buddies & notice a new face - with a fresh Ul-1 on the table. John ran nitro years ago but was drawn back and bought a Late model UL-1. Did pretty nice with the Grim 40/57/3. Hmm.... - I reached into my prop stash & handed him a scalpel-sharp & crazy cupped M445 I did up for racing LSH. Whoopy - Do !!! Mark Grim was so impressed that he grabbed his radar gun, but just then the UL-1 went into 3D flight mode :eek:
I'll bet my 3-pack of smoked CC BEC's that the boat was doing an easy fifty if not more. Hope to see John show here, I gave him the link :thumbup1:

properchopper
05-31-2010, 12:05 PM
Of man!
how do I get a prop like that? I ran a S220 on my T29 yesterday and was knocking on 48mph.. I'm blown away at the Medusa's power in this thing :rockon2:
this hull (T29) still trips me out by the way it airs out, I keep thinking its going over but it never does :w00t:

I'll PM the secret recipe :banana: You'll need a parachute, 'Tho :doh:

Brushless55
05-31-2010, 12:11 PM
I'll PM the secret recipe :banana: You'll need a parachute, 'Tho :doh:

bring it on! :banana:

6S HYDRO
06-01-2010, 06:44 PM
my ul-1 did 42.0 miles an hour garmin'd on 4s cheap packs and stock prop and 53.0 mph same exact but on 5s lipo

6S HYDRO
06-01-2010, 06:45 PM
how ya been Tony

properchopper
06-01-2010, 08:17 PM
how ya been Tony

Mostly OK, thanks for asking :biggrin: How'z by you ?? [ Had a great time at WW VI - thanks again for the hospitality] :Peace_Sign:

6S HYDRO
06-01-2010, 08:22 PM
ive been good man, working diligently on my jap 21. finishin up the paint work today and tomorrow