PDA

View Full Version : UL-1 takes a nose dive

FoxProGT
06-18-2009, 05:38 PM
Sup peeps...

This is my first post here and i am a newbie to the boating hobby... im into rc cars and trucks but came across a good deal for this ul-1 that was 110% ready to run and thought id snag it up and try the hobby out.

I took it out yesterday for the first time and it was awesome! i was afraid of flipping it or.........(traction rolling) it so i didnt gun it to much.. just learning the basics in controlling it.

So all went well sept for the many times it dived in nose first when i let off the throttle... it freaked me the heck out the first dozen times it did it because of what i know about boats... (they shouldnt be going under water) XD but after awhile it didnt seem to really hurt it and someone that was watching it said that it MIGHT be normal for that type of boat.

So iv come to this thread ask.... is it normal for it to nose dive when slowing down?

FoxProGT
06-19-2009, 02:40 AM
ok i guess this is one of them questions that thread vets hate when newbies ask............... X(

iv seen a few youtube vids of this boat doing the nose dive so i guess its normal.

TCR
06-19-2009, 08:24 AM
What kind of batteries are you using(weight might be a reason)? Mine might nose dive at take off, but this is due to not enough throttle. Hammer it on take off.

bigpapa
06-19-2009, 08:36 AM
full throttle on take off everytime or you will submarine every time

bigpapa
06-19-2009, 08:37 AM
read this page you are not the first my friend

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=8420

Grimracer
06-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Sup peeps...

This is my first post here and i am a newbie to the boating hobby... im into rc cars and trucks but came across a good deal for this ul-1 that was 110% ready to run and thought id snag it up and try the hobby out.

I took it out yesterday for the first time and it was awesome! i was afraid of flipping it or.........(traction rolling) it so i didnt gun it to much.. just learning the basics in controlling it.

So all went well sept for the many times it dived in nose first when i let off the throttle... it freaked me the heck out the first dozen times it did it because of what i know about boats... (they shouldnt be going under water) XD but after awhile it didnt seem to really hurt it and someone that was watching it said that it MIGHT be normal for that type of boat.

So iv come to this thread ask.... is it normal for it to nose dive when slowing down?

FoxProGT

It is fun to drive isn’t it!

Hydroplanes in general do something called “planeing” Getting on plane is the time when the boat is between full displacement (either getting on or off plane) and on plane.

Like most MFG compromises we elected to add weight to the tips of the sponsons (6oz as a fact) to aid the boat in flight. (the time the boat is at speed and not really on the water).

Dew to this the boat has a somewhat forward CG.. its normal for the UL-1 to subsurface the sponson during low speed throttle.

Truth is the boat just does not spend allot of time off plane or getting on plane. Don’t be afraid to be aggressive with the throttle.. trust me.. the boat LIKES IT!

Good luck and DRIVE IT HARD!

Grimracer

nate
06-19-2009, 04:52 PM
Yeps, Mine would take a dive as-well when I dropped off throttle really hard, but not often, also depends on the batterys as mentioned., and how windy of a day it is, Rough water takes a toll.

Heres mine.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DpC510gthtM

FoxProGT
06-20-2009, 12:12 AM
Nice :D

TCR..... im using some flight max zippy 4000mah lipos. iv been taking it out more offen and am learning to drive it even better.. i feel comfortable now punching it from start off and it helps :D

BIGPAPA..... yeah so im learning XD

GRIMRACER...... that is great info for a newbie such as myself :D ... iv been taking it out more offen and im really getting a feel for it and feel much more comfortable about being aggressive with the throttle. and i can see that the boat likes it...as do i and the spectators :D

NATE..... yeah i seen that video before.... i thought your boat was going to crash for sure when the camera guy didnt follow it to the left showing it clearing the edge of the pond XD

Thanks for the replys peeps.. :}

bedrock
08-09-2009, 12:51 AM
hello all

Took my UL-1 out today and it ripped except I hace cracked the Hull around the Fin area - seems this is a problem with some boats

Does anybody know a way to fix this - thinking of cutting a section out an strenthing with timber???

Any body got any photos of repairs

Thanks
Bedrock
________
Cb750a (http://www.honda-wiki.org/wiki/Honda_CB750A)

arcticguy
09-08-2009, 01:46 PM
Got my UL1 less than a week ago and i havent had one sucessful run yet...

It dives and dives and dives AND dives...

Even on still water and the boat is just floating around idle
the tip of the sponsons is under water!?!?

Acc. to the LHS i got the reinforced hull and it looks like its WAY to front heavy...

I mean its friggin Impossible to go ANYWHERE when the sponsons is under water from the start!??!?!?

I use 2 x 7,2V 5000mAh - Bronto SP - Ni-Mh

I can use full throttle or just little nomatter what
It dives in a sharp angle down and the propp goes above water and i release the throttle
and it comes back tu surface....

Damn i will go crazy before this is solved lol! ;)

what can i do !??!

bedrock
09-08-2009, 02:49 PM
Articguy

I think your Ni-Mh'S are to heavy get rid of these and use good quality Lipo's
I'm running 2x 7.4V 5000mAh 30C Lipo'sand the boat is fast

You can also throw the boat in whilst giving some throdle this helps to get it onto the plane...
________
Tzr250 (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_TZR250)

arcticguy
09-08-2009, 04:17 PM
what is the best way to throw the boat in... best and safest place to hold to make sure the fingers are intact ;) and how much should the throttle be at when the boat hits the water ?

TCR
09-08-2009, 04:51 PM
what is the best way to throw the boat in... best and safest place to hold to make sure the fingers are intact ;) and how much should the throttle be at when the boat hits the water ?

Just throw it so that it's nose higher than tail, but just barely above parellel to the water. I've seen 7cell NIMH get the boat on plane but 6c are too weak. Your problem is very common. Chunk it until you get lipos.

TCR
09-08-2009, 04:52 PM
Oh yeah, grab it from the side and throw w/ a good side arm whipping motion.

arcticguy
09-09-2009, 01:03 PM
Anyone know any vids on the youtube where it shows "throwing in" ?!?

Namnuta
09-09-2009, 01:23 PM
I run my UL-1 on 6 and 7 cell NIMH.

The trick i use since the batteries are heavier than lipos is to hold the boat in the water with the front end held up.

I go on full throttle and let her go and she hops up onto plane very nice, and is quite quick. I have never had issues running 6 cell NIMH using this launch technique.

My UL-1 is stock, well was stock. Im rebuilding the turn fin area that broke from just water pressure on the turn fin. I must have one of the early lemons (Turn fin area was paper thin??), but now i have an excuse to paint.

Presently i run all my boats on NIMH and have not made the jump to lipos. Next season maybe. :)

arcticguy
09-09-2009, 01:28 PM
Namnnuta

Thanks for the tip i will try it =)

Where do you grab and hold the boat while doing this launch ?

Namnuta
09-09-2009, 01:50 PM
I hold it right in the front center of the boat. Right beside the front canopy

Say im standing over the ul-1 with it in the water. I reach down and pull the front end up, give her some throttle and let go at the same time.

arcticguy
09-09-2009, 01:53 PM
Thanks =) im making a list here of things to try and if nothing works out im going for lipos.

Brushless55
09-10-2009, 12:06 AM
Your strut angle could be palying alittle in this to..

arcticguy
09-10-2009, 02:18 PM
YES!

Finally i had my first real run with the UL-1!

Namnuta thanks for the tip about holding the boat it works great to hold it in
the water and make sure the propp is all under and then.. give throttle and just let it go! =)

And it cannot be repeated enough... DONT by shy on the throttle!!! :)