PDA

View Full Version : Two of these in a 39" Mono?

Brushless55
06-17-2009, 04:31 PM
What do you all think about using two of these with sv motors in a 39" mono or 35" or bigger cat?
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=grp-2380-11&cat=123

Give me you comments, concerns, and Ideas..
I thought this could make for an interesting build.. :banana:

Thanks

Fast One
06-18-2009, 06:36 AM
Hi, a few years ago I set up a 29 inch mean machine cat (Aeromarine) with 2 kyosho outbords that were modified for 700 sized motors. I ran 14 cells on each motor but only 1 battery pack. The thing was a brick but very stable as the hull was very wide.
Nowdays with brushless and lipos the weight factor is not a concern, and we have more power available.
I say go for it, but stick with a cat hull as its much wider and has an air tunnel to provide some lift. A cat hull will turn better and has more room to position all the parts insde the hull. If you go for a mono it will have a lot of weight sitting on the back of it. Monos with the outboards can roll a lot in the turns as the motors are mounted very high on the transom as you have to allow for the deep V if you are running them surface drive.
If you set up a mono with submerged drives it will corner very well as the weight is mounted much lower but you will loose speed.
Once again I am not the expert but I have tried some set ups with ouboards. ( Twin outboards do look very cool and scale like though)Best regards Shane.