PDA

View Full Version : Gap size brtween flex coupler and stuffing tube

Bart Marshall
07-10-2007, 09:58 PM
My sv has slightly less the 1/8" gap between the flex coupler and the stuffing tube. If this isn't enough should I use a dremel to lengthen the flat spot on the motor shaft? Also when pulling out the flex cable a brass bushing also came out-should I glue this back in? Thanks for the advice the other day, I took everything out of the hull and am sealing the wood and using silicone on the hardware.

saleens7
07-10-2007, 10:30 PM
the bushing comes out w/ mine also....i tried to hold the bushing stationary and rotate the shaft and there is alot more resistance in it when the bushing is stationary, so i think its supposed to do this....you should actually try to have the smallest space possible between the stuffing tube and flexhex coupler....if there is too much space, when torqued, the unsuported flex shaft may knot up...

longballlumber
07-11-2007, 07:47 AM
Also when pulling out the flex cable a brass bushing also came out-should I glue this back in?

The brass bushing is supposed to be removable and should be lubed with cable grease too. The holes in the bushing are there to "store" grease and better lube that area of the shaft.

Happy Boating
Mike

Fluid
07-11-2007, 06:46 PM
The brass bushing improved efficiency by rotating with the stub shaft. It rotates at about half the shaft speed, reducing the overall driveline friction. Do not try to attach it permanently! Remove it with the shaft and clean and lube it carefully.

The gap between the coupler and the stuffing tube should be no more than 1/2". You need some gap so that you can use a piece of fuel tubing to stop the flow of water up the stuffing tube.