PDA

View Full Version : Radio glitches...

Checkmateguy01
06-13-2009, 08:06 PM
I was havin some touble with one of my boats this weekend, seemed like i was loosing radio signal or had some interference every once in a while. I'm using an Etti 150 BEC esc, Futaba radio with fresh new batteries in the transmitter. Occasionally when i would let off the throttle it would continue on at full throttle for a second or 2 before slowing down. Also, coming around a corner sometimes the steering would do the same thing and keep turning the boat even tho i've let off the stick. Any ideas what could be the problem? I don't have any other recievers to try unless i take one out of my SV27 but really don't want too, could it possibly be the ESC?? I run NiMh's if that make any difference. Just want some ideas before i run it into a dock or someones boat.

HOTWATER
06-13-2009, 08:39 PM
Faulty receiver...

NorthernBoater
06-13-2009, 08:44 PM
Did it get wet?

JimClark
06-13-2009, 08:53 PM
What futaba radio? AM FM or 2.4 gig?

Fluid
06-13-2009, 09:26 PM
Disconnect the BEC and run a receiver pack instead. If this solves the problem, it reinforces the value of not using ESCs with a BEC. Does the ESC or receiver have a failsafe mode?

Checkmateguy01
06-13-2009, 10:16 PM
Did it get wet?

Nope, has not got wet...so far. I have the recievcer ballooned so if it ever does take on a ton of water should be fine. As for the radio, it's a Futaba Attack SR radio with AM frequency. Actually it's a pretty old radio, probably at least 10 years, from back when i raced nitro boats competitively. I thought about buyin an all new radio but i have so many layin around, trouble is i don't have any other good recievers. The manual on the Etti says it has a fail safe built in and i'll have to go back and check but i think it's defualt set, it's supposed to cut all power if there is any glitch. I wondered if the BEC ESC might have something to do with it, but the SV27 is a BEC set-up and i have never had any radio trouble at all.

Meniscus
06-14-2009, 08:37 AM
If none of the other solutions work as provided by others above, try using it at a different pond. On one of my AM radios, I found that one pond it would work, the other pond, it would not due to interference.

However, I'd start with the other suggestions first.

NorthernBoater
06-14-2009, 10:39 AM
AM radios are very prone to interference. Also you will want to make sure to take it out of the ballon when done running at the end of the day. Condensation can build up over the week.

Checkmateguy01
06-14-2009, 08:52 PM
Disconnect the BEC and run a receiver pack instead. If this solves the problem, it reinforces the value of not using ESCs with a BEC. Does the ESC or receiver have a failsafe mode?

Honestly i have no idea how to disconnect the BEC from the ESC. Are BEC's normally a problem? I'm tryin to decide what to do with it before i go spending more money, like if a newer, FM radio would be better, or eliminating the BEC. As said, on the lake i run on i have no problems with my SV27's radio.