PDA

View Full Version : New 2.4 ghz Radio from Tower.

domwilson
06-11-2009, 08:00 PM
Saw this today.

http://www.towerhobbies.com/promos/e-mails/towj0224_0609.html

extra receivers are $16.99. I wonder how good they are.

alvinsmith75
06-11-2009, 08:34 PM
They are awesome if in fact they are the Tactic units. Who will be the first to buy the receiver and see if it binds to their Tactic unit?

BIGDG357
06-11-2009, 08:36 PM
They look identical to the tactic system Aquacraft is using in the UL-1 . I have a UL-1 and purchased 2 additional RXs one for my supervee and one for my 58 in cat gasser and this system works great so if its the same thing GET IT WHILE YOU CAN!!!

Tony
06-12-2009, 02:23 AM
Just put in the order for the TX system, and an extra RX. I'll let you guys know what i think when it gets here.

AntronX
06-12-2009, 07:29 AM
If this radio is built at the same quality than Futaba's FASST system and has same range and interference immunity, then its a steal deal! I hated paying for 3rd channel and other useless bells and whistles I will never use in FE. Charging $100 for Futaba's RX unit is crazy, after you see how tiny it is and how little parts it uses.

properchopper
06-12-2009, 08:40 AM
[QUOTE=AntronX;98489]If this radio is built at the same quality than Futaba's FASST system ...QUOTE]

If you open up a Futaba Rx, it looks like it was made by Rolex. The Tactic looks far less well made, but looks may not seem that important when comparing the price ratios. Consider that the Fasst radios are primarily marketed to a more demanding user group; cars, planes and helis which require way more finite control than boats. Witness the Fasst user manual, which caters heavily to car racers requiring all kinds of progressive throttle, braking and steering configurations. My [now] one Fasst equipped boat often has me diving into the manual to get all the options dialed or re-dialed in. My three Tactic equipped boats are easier to configure with way fewer options [ and the abscence of an external antenna being a nice side-benefit]. Model memory would be a nice upgrade; I did once send out my 60+ MPH hydro forgetting to reverse the steering and immediately flipped it trying to turn right with the steering reversed :doh: ! For the money spent I'm living with the need to tweak the dual-rate and rudder trim every time out with a different boat. Another observation with the Tactic system : the trim-pots are not very linear, the Fasst stepped adjustments are way better in that regard. Finally, a word of caution regarding the Tactic Rx : Corrosion-X it. I got one wet while underway and it caught fire. Actual flames with a melted case and a gooey baloon:crying:

Meniscus
06-12-2009, 10:28 AM
I like these comparison discussions. Great input proper. Out of curiosity, how does the tactic do in a CF hull and also when a boat is flipped? Is the range the same?

At this time I am not interested in switching to the tactic. I just went JR FM synth and I like my model memory, especially with the adjustments for the "touchy" boats!

Jeff Wohlt
06-12-2009, 10:30 AM
Better use my $20 coupon now!

properchopper
06-12-2009, 11:09 AM
I just went JR FM synth and I like my model memory, especially with the adjustments for the "touchy" boats!

Agreed ! My DF 33 needs the dual-rate adjusted PERFECTLY to let it pin the buoys without any more rudder, which causes bad oversteer. The Fasst [or other more finely tuneable radios with model memory] is all I'll use in that circumstance.

bustitup
06-12-2009, 12:00 PM
I like these comparison discussions. Great input proper. Out of curiosity, how does the tactic do in a CF hull and also when a boat is flipped? Is the range the same?

At this time I am not interested in switching to the tactic. I just went JR FM synth and I like my model memory, especially with the adjustments for the "touchy" boats!

the bottom of my mm hull is plastered with cf and the tactic is fine....my

dx3.0 would not work

calcagno45
06-12-2009, 12:03 PM
You guys may want to check this one out as well. It has more features than the Tactic/Tower ones.

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info.php?cPath=17&products_id=616&osCsid=8e0f9cfbee2cb5970ec3cb3ce070236a

Meniscus
06-12-2009, 12:05 PM
the bottom of my mm hull is plastered with cf and the tactic is fine....my

dx3.0 would not work

Good info, thanks!

TCR
06-13-2009, 02:59 PM
You guys may want to check this one out as well. It has more features than the Tactic/Tower ones.

http://www.rc4wdstore.com/2/product_info.php?cPath=17&products_id=616&osCsid=8e0f9cfbee2cb5970ec3cb3ce070236a

Plus it's called the big offroader!!:laugh: Do you have one, are they any good? I have two of the tactic 2.4s and I don't have any real problems at all and I like only 4 AAs needed.

G Doggett
06-14-2009, 05:58 AM
Hmmmmm , I wonder if the receiver for the Tower 224 will work with the Futaba Fasst transmitter.
It's a Spread Spectrum system, same as Futaba.
I love my new 3PM, but the cost of additional receivers is a bit steep.
Has anyone tried this with the Tower or Tactic receivers ?
Graham.:rockon2:

Jeff Wohlt
06-14-2009, 10:28 AM
It says it will bind with other 2.4 systems but not sure about that one. For $16 it would be worth a try and if not sell it.

skotbro
06-15-2009, 12:51 AM
I have the tactic TX and I just ordered three TH 224 RX, I spent $50 on worst things!! I'll let you all know how it works out.

Tony
06-17-2009, 11:18 PM
Just put in the order for the TX system, and an extra RX. I'll let you guys know what i think when it gets here.

Update: The TH 224 Tx and Rx arived today. So far everything works fine. I think its the same system as the Tactic. Will try it out this weekend to see how far the boat would go out.:beerchug: