PDA

View Full Version : What model NEU motor would replace a UL-1 motor in VS1 tunnel

cybercrxt
06-11-2009, 01:48 PM
As the title says. I would like to try a quality NEU motor on my FE VS1 tunnel. I am using the UL-1 motor now, with Turnigy 120a esc. I don't know what the Y or N mean after the NEU's model #. I figure the 1515 can is probably the size I need and breaking that down further, maybe a 1515/2d? Would that be right? And is this motor more efficient? Would I see any speed gains? Thanks for any help, Mike

raptor347
06-11-2009, 09:36 PM
1512/2.5D would be closest to a strait swap. It will be capable of turning a bit bigger prop. The other choices are 1515/2d and 1515/1Y. The 1515's have the potential to make more power. All three are capable of significantly more power than the UL-1 motor with a current and weight increase as the penalty.

cybercrxt
06-12-2009, 08:17 AM
Thanks for the reply. I am going to look into the weight differences between all the options vs the UL1 motor. Anyone selling any of these motors used? lol

properchopper
06-12-2009, 09:16 AM
Mike, I'm going to go out on a limb here and play Devil's advocate for a moment
[ flame suit on]. Stay with what you have. Tweak it up to 50+ mph and enjoy. In a post on another forum I recall, IIRC, Mike Z., the designer of the boat said the boat gets squirrely or something to that effect at 55+. The motor options you're considering could make it a 60 mph boat, and may cause undue use of the rescue craft. [ On one of my runs with the UL-1 motor upwind the tunnel effect caused lots of bow lift- thats what tunnel design's all about, and the nose got higher and higher 'till I backed off]. (Following Brians prop recommendation I de-tounged and mildly cupped a Grimracer prop, popped in a Zippy 30C 4S 5000, and got a little over 50mph with lots of runtime and a huge smile every run.) Don't want to rain on your parade here, but I,m digging mine the way it's now set up so much that I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents :tiphat:

cybercrxt
06-12-2009, 10:01 AM
Propper,

I had no Idea that the NEU motor would add that kind of possible speed. I was just looking for a quality replacement motor because ever since I acquired my UL1 motor, 2 of the mounting thread have been striped and the motor is coming loose more and more often, so its time to replace it I think. I was wondering about the NEU's and the Medusas actually as a friend of mine has raced 1/8 scale buggys for a couple years using there product..and it constantly winning with the Medusa's. So, I figured I would look more at one of these because of the efficiency and possible longer run time, and cooler equipment. I definitely know about the 50+ mph rule of thumb with the VS1! I appriciate your input as well. My current choices are to replace the UL1 with another, possible the 1512/2.5D Neu as it is closely matched to the UL1 in specs, and the Medusa 36-60-2000 v2 motor. So, im not really sure what to do now! I do like it not blowing off..It has blown off ZERO times since the switch to FE...and when it was nitro it was a constant situation, at least for me! And the FE is faster than my old K&B!

sjslhill
06-12-2009, 10:44 AM
No way, he needs a coke can size motor and 10S2P 6,000mah packs in there, what are you thinking? :doh:

Seriously, I agree. In fact I hear that the UL-1 is a fast as it can take with the package you get with it.

Mike, I'm going to go out on a limb here and play Devil's advocate for a moment
[ flame suit on]. Stay with what you have. Tweak it up to 50+ mph and enjoy. In a post on another forum I recall, IIRC, Mike Z., the designer of the boat said the boat gets squirrely or something to that effect at 55+. The motor options you're considering could make it a 60 mph boat, and may cause undue use of the rescue craft. [ On one of my runs with the UL-1 motor upwind the tunnel effect caused lots of bow lift- thats what tunnel design's all about, and the nose got higher and higher 'till I backed off]. (Following Brians prop recommendation I de-tounged and mildly cupped a Grimracer prop, popped in a Zippy 30C 4S 5000, and got a little over 50mph with lots of runtime and a huge smile every run.) Don't want to rain on your parade here, but I,m digging mine the way it's now set up so much that I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents :tiphat:

properchopper
06-12-2009, 10:45 AM
Mike, I've had to re-tap the motor mount holes on several of my Aquacraft motors. Seems their threads are not cut deep enough, plus the anodizing is done after the threads are cut instead of the other (correct) way. Re-tapping is easy to do and can save the motor. Be sure not to get any chips inside, 'tho!. I can understand the urge to go bigger/faster and I'm not trying to discourage you . Remember that bigger motors will be heavier & have a higher CG effect. I'm sure the Neu or Medusa motors will work well; I'm keeping mine "Spec Class" for races in that category. Incidentally, the current NAMBA SAW record for P-OPC Tunnel is 61.something and I may take a crack at the record this year with a heavier, longer, bottom-modded TS-2 I have with some bigger motor, not sure which one right now. [I'd rather not sacrifice my current VS-1 to the SAW Gods after my first VS-1 was destroyed colliding with a rock-hard turn buoy on the course at Legg Lake :doh: !]
Check out the VS-1/UL-1 vid on International Waters, Fast Electric Forum, " The new VS-1 Tunnel Hull " thread, post # 18. Good stuff ! Tunnels Rock :rockon2:

jingalls007
06-12-2009, 10:55 AM
This will give you an idea of what a Medusa will do in the UL-1. Also, dEtox has tried a 1515 1y and Hydra 240 if you search the UL-1 threads you will find it there.
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=7859

bustitup
06-12-2009, 10:58 AM
I agree with everything Propper said....dont over power the hull....that ul-1 should get you easily to the limits of that hull....maybe some blue loctite on the threads?

tune it to the max with the stock motor and you will be happy I feel

properchopper
06-12-2009, 10:59 AM
Seriously, I agree. In fact I hear that the UL-1 is a fast as it can take with the package you get with it.

Steven, there's a lot of truth in what you said ; my experience with the UL-1 hydro has left me with the opinion that it has a built-in design/speed limit that, once surpassed gets one into some real "handling antics":w00t::w00t: [ not that I haven't propped up & up to get there :eek: ; although my upper body strength has considerably profited from many frequent excursions in the rescue rowboat :blush:]

properchopper
06-12-2009, 11:25 AM
Whoops, looks like we're straying from the VS-1 with UL-1 motor intent of this thread ; sorry Mike !

cybercrxt
06-12-2009, 11:40 AM
Its cool! Im learning and taking all this in. I will try retreading the can. Maybe I can get it fixed. I definitely like the center of gravity it has right now, and it is really flying well..literally I think just the last 1" or so is all that is in the water right now on my new hull layout. The other hull about 2-3" of the ride pad was always in the water. I need a GPS and need to stop testing with a radar gun. I am wondering if I am already faster than I think because of the radars accuracy!

D. Newland
06-12-2009, 12:22 PM
IMO the closer match would be a 1509 2Y. If you want an aluminum cooling sleeve, you may need to research that a bit.

Darin Jordan
06-12-2009, 12:27 PM
IMO the closer match would be a 1509 2Y. If you want an aluminum cooling sleeve, you may need to research that a bit.

OSE sells them for the 1509 sized motors...

Flying Scotsman
06-12-2009, 01:09 PM
Steven, there's a lot of truth in what you said ; my experience with the UL-1 hydro has left me with the opinion that it has a built-in design/speed limit that, once surpassed gets one into some real "handling antics":w00t::w00t: [ not that I haven't propped up & up to get there :eek: ; although my upper body strength has considerably profited from many frequent excursions in the rescue rowboat :blush:]

As usual Tony on the button in regards to the limitations of this and most RTRs. The UL1 is a good boat with physical and mechanical upgrades.

Edit,

Woops, I read what Tony was stating and not the thread basis...sorry

Douggie

properchopper
06-12-2009, 11:35 PM
Mike, I just realized that you're the Mike I've been posting back and forth with on IW! ! Duh ! I actually suggested that you watch YOUR OWN video.:hide:

cybercrxt
06-15-2009, 08:37 AM
Yeah, thats me. I tend to have different login names to help keep hackers at bay! But its me! I will look into that 1509 motor too! Mike