PDA

View Full Version : Head of the river hydro

BIGDG357
06-08-2009, 11:24 PM
recently purchased a 16 in hydro from head of the river which looks like a mini cat racing hull also purchased the mini hardware from the same place which all in all looks like a nice set-up hull and hardware. What i would like are suggestions on how to power this thing i am thinking an ammo 28-56-2300 and i have a 35a water cooled turnigy esc and 1500mah 3s also has anyone ever had any of this guys stuff? How's the quality?

ray schrauwen
06-09-2009, 08:41 PM
That sounds like a nice setup. You may want to try and water cool your esc. If it isn't already

His quality varies. What was the quality of that hull and what are the TRUE dimensions as I have had many of his boats (still have) but, they are always either smaller or bigger than advertised.

I have the Round Nose Hydro that is listed as 28" long and is actually 26-3/4" long and 13-1/2 wide not 12".

I have been pondering getting one of those since I can't get a DF 16" Turbine Hydro unless I pay $79 US +++ shipping etc... Cripes they were $52originally...:ThumbsDown01:

Please keep us updated and maybe post a build thread...

Thanks

Ray

BIGDG357
06-09-2009, 09:05 PM
Thanks ,i have just ordered the motor (ammo 28-56-2300) from ebay for $26.09 the guy says he ordered the wrong motor so I got a steal on that. The Turnigy 35a esc is water cooled the only thing i'll need is a water jacket for the motor which I'm sure I can get right here at OSE.As far as the size of the hull i would not be surprised if it is actually a little shorter because I think these are mini cat racing clones which are a little shy of 16 in. How is this shipping from there did it take a while This is my first electric build so I am pretty excited to get all of this in but I'll be back with pics and for help also I'm sure. Thanks

properchopper
06-09-2009, 09:29 PM
[QUOTE=ray schrauwen;97668]
I have the Round Nose Hydro that is listed as 28" long and is actually 26-3/4" long and 13-1/2 wide not 12".

Ray, did you go for the RTR or the bare hull; if bare, how did you set it up ? How does it run ? Sorry for the hijack but I'm interested in maybe getting the shovelnose, maybe RTR or transplanting my UL-1 gear.

Tony

ray schrauwen
06-09-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks ,i have just ordered the motor (ammo 28-56-2300) from ebay for $26.09 the guy says he ordered the wrong motor so I got a steal on that. The Turnigy 35a esc is water cooled the only thing i'll need is a water jacket for the motor which I'm sure I can get right here at OSE.As far as the size of the hull i would not be surprised if it is actually a little shorter because I think these are mini cat racing clones which are a little shy of 16 in. How is this shipping from there did it take a while This is my first electric build so I am pretty excited to get all of this in but I'll be back with pics and for help also I'm sure. Thanks

I saw that motor on Ebay. Good for you getting a nice deal.

Shipping was fast, no more that 10 business days.

Steve has water jackets though you may not need it with a 28mm motor. Your rpms will be high so maybe its a smart idea.

I would like a good measurement when you get it please, thanks.

Tony:
I bought the bare hull. I don't like his rtr setups, his hardware is nice, 3/16" stuff that is- get a flexshaft & motor mount, strut and turn fin from Steve. Red Gel coat was nice. Sponsons are stepped, :thumbup: It looks like a dark orse clone.

Haven't set it up yet but, UL-1 motor & esc , 4S1P 20 -25C would be GREAT!

OOOr N2 sport power would work tooo.

BIGDG357
06-09-2009, 09:58 PM
not a problem Ray

properchopper
06-09-2009, 10:17 PM
Thanks Ray. A Dark Horse clone would work !

BIGDG357
06-10-2009, 10:31 PM
Wow , that was pretty quick shipping from Hong Kong . I ordered the boat last Wednesday and got it in this Wednesday .The only thing that sucks is he sent the hardware kit without the rudder so now i'm waiting on a reply from him but the hydro looks really nice. Oh and it is NOT 16 inches as claimed in the listing it is 15 inches the same as the minicats .Just waiting on parts now.... as always

BIGDG357
06-10-2009, 11:31 PM
O.K. I already have questions :doh:. I need to know how to find the right place to install the motor mount is this done by balancing or is there another way to do it. My second question would be where do i get a motor mount or the material to make one i have an adjustable water cooled mount from OSE but it is to big and doen't even make it into the hull . Last question , about the installation of the mount can i just use fiberglass resin to secure this. Thanks, Nick