PDA

View Full Version : Nitro to FE conversion

NitroVal
06-08-2009, 01:20 PM
I have an older Pro Boat Miss Bud nitro and Im getting tired of trying to tune it and find correct propellers and CG changing from spent fuel and so on. So I have decided to try electric. I was curious if anyone had recommendations on motor mounts, battery mounts, etc? I was also curious if it possible to change the straight shaft to a flex shaft without swapping hulls?

nate
06-11-2009, 09:09 PM
I have an older Pro Boat Miss Bud nitro and Im getting tired of trying to tune it and find correct propellers and CG changing from spent fuel and so on. So I have decided to try electric. I was curious if anyone had recommendations on motor mounts, battery mounts, etc? I was also curious if it possible to change the straight shaft to a flex shaft without swapping hulls?

Well easy man, Motor mounts can be bought here on OSE,

Steven has a few to choose from....

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=43

Go with one of the 540 mounts, maybe the Etti, and buy the Aquacraft 60amp and brushless motor combo, then run an X445 or so.. should be fast...

are you gunna use a diffrent strut?... Kinnda have to lol

As for the flex cable, well It can be done, but prepare to repaint the hull, im sure the brass tubing isnt just gunna pull out nice and clean..

Never does for me anyways lol

Gary
07-28-2009, 09:33 PM
I just converted mine. 8 xl, hydra 120,18 volts, x442. Took this boat to a new lake that had water skiers, jet and regular boats driving around and this boat was fantastic. Never flipped it and beat it hard for 4 days of my vacation with a best top speed of 53 mph.I will post a video soon.

domwilson
07-28-2009, 09:46 PM
I have an Older Bud that I bought of ebay. It had a 550 motor and a flex in the stock tube. I just swapped out the motor with a 9L I had laying around and a 60 amp ESC. It ran pretty good on 3S lipos and a Y535 prop. I just swapped the ESC for a 100 amp as I am going to run 4S now. Haven't had a problem with the small flex yet. We'll see in the next few weeks. If I do, I'll just put the straight shaft back in as they sent me that as well.

studioRS
08-15-2009, 07:21 PM
I've got a Pro Boat Miss Llumar nitro and was thinking of the same idea although possibly with semi-FE if that is even an option... read on.

I have an older (NOS) special build Marine Astro Flight cobalt 25 5-turn brushed motor that was the rage of the 1/10 scale classic hydro guys few years ago. I've never run it so it is new. It would be nice to use this as it's pretty fast and the high standard for a brushed motor in it's time. Was spec'ed to pull a 447R prop.

Wondering what would be the best speed control and battery set up to make this work with what is available today?

I've been out of this hobby too long and need some schooling boys...

domwilson
08-15-2009, 07:30 PM
RC Hydros 60- 90 amp ESC or the Astro 207D on 4s. You will need to install a LVC such as the liposhield, cellshield or Novak.

studioRS
08-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Oh, good shopping homework! Thanks for the reply.

What would you or anyone else recommend on a charger for this set up?

domwilson
08-15-2009, 10:59 PM
Nimh or Lipos? Price Range or wife coolness factor?:just-kidding:

studioRS
08-15-2009, 11:20 PM
I was thinking Nimh. Lipo packs might be harder to stuff into the tight space on each sponson?

domwilson
08-15-2009, 11:43 PM
I put (2) 2s in the nose. Works for me. Some put one in the nose and the other over the radio box area.

studioRS
08-15-2009, 11:50 PM
Ok, now I'm getting stoked on this. If you can please post up some photos of your set up to help inspire. Might try the Lipo route, gotta keep the wife impressed.

I'll post up photos of my progress. Not to hijack this thread, but figured it is the right place.

domwilson
08-16-2009, 12:32 AM
Here's some. The turnigy, zippy, and rhino lipos won't fit like these PolyRC lipos.

studioRS
08-16-2009, 11:11 AM
Thank you for the photos. Where to buy the PolyRC Lipo 2s? Looks like your speed control is in motor compartment too. Charger?

eboat
08-16-2009, 11:21 AM
Here is a couple pics of a yellow boat

eboat
08-16-2009, 11:24 AM
The last pic is how it is set up today with a 7L and 2S2P 4350 poly rc

domwilson
08-16-2009, 12:37 PM
Thank you for the photos. Where to buy the PolyRC Lipo 2s? Looks like your speed control is in motor compartment too. Charger?

RCLipos.com for the PolyRC Lipos.

ReddyWatts
08-16-2009, 01:33 PM
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=3585

studioRS
08-19-2009, 07:18 PM
Perfect! Thanks for the photos and link, just what I needed to get my arse in gear.

Digging through all my old goodies I located a 3/16" Hughey flex cable and teflon tube with a stub shaft that reduces down to 1/8 prop size. I *might* be able to use my adjustable stainless Hughey strut for this off of my old school 1/16'" Dumas Miss Thriftway. The flex cable almost fits inside the Astro Flight 25 motor coupler so maybe it isn't 3/16 ??.... grrr. Time to measure it.

I'll have to craft up a solution for the adjustable rear strut behind the transom to hold this Hughey strut. Maybe Darin's build up earlier this year will inspire me somehow.

Photos soon of what I've got to start with, any coaching will surely be helpful.