PDA

View Full Version : Hi-model 200 amp 8s problems

Rumdog
06-02-2009, 08:50 PM
Ok,so I traded for this esc a few weeks ago. I'm just now to the point of installing it in my latest build. Running 6s with a receiver pack. Red wire is unhooked. Programming is very similar to the etti esc's. So, I go into prog. mode. Set lipo cutoff for 6s, then try to go to the next set of variables and the esc starts beeping like crazy. couldn't get it to stop, then I noticed it got real hot, really quick! Immediately unplugged the batts and the esc from the motor. About a half hour later I plugged it all back in and same deal. I didn't give it a chance to heat up much this time, but I could feel it rapidly warming. I couldn't get it to stop rapidly beeping. I'm at a loss!! Is this thing shot?? Please Help!!:help:

domwilson
06-02-2009, 09:09 PM
Did you download the manual from? here...http://www.himodel.com/electric/HiModel_GX_Seires_200A_4-8S_Electric_Speed_Controller_W_BEC_Type_GX-200A-BEC.html

Rumdog
06-02-2009, 09:20 PM
Yes, I did.

domwilson
06-02-2009, 09:30 PM
I know this is a dumb question, but is the motor good? Have you tried a different receiver/radio? Try eliminating all the other variables first. If everything else checks out, I would assume the problem is with the ESC. I just got one of these but haven't hooked it up yet. It may just be a bum ESC.

Rumdog
06-02-2009, 09:38 PM
Thought of that. I did switch the receiver/tx. Same thing. Could actually be that it's the motor. I'll check it out.

eboat
06-02-2009, 09:42 PM
Did you try running the esc when you got it before you tried programing it ??

Rumdog
06-02-2009, 10:55 PM
Motors good, tried a diff. good motor and same thing. Before I tried programming I did hook it up and try it, but just got the continuous beeping. I'm lost. I think the esc is bad.

ksm2001
06-02-2009, 10:58 PM
It shouldn't get hot just by programming if you have the heat sink on. The continuous beeping sounds strange but its a bit tricky at first to go through the settings even with the instructions... so many beeps to keep track of, but it may be a bum esc :cursing:

When you connect the batteries it will play a tone followed by 2 beeps telling that's its armed and ready to go. Does it do that?

I have 2 Himodel 200's, both are water cooled and sealed in plasticote. One was completely submerged in water on my rigger and it runs fine after drying out the boat, the other I run in my DF 29, motors are 7xl and 8xl, logged them both with the eagle tree using 4s lipos and peaks at 114 amps, temperatures are just warm.

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=5924 (post #5)

Ken :canada:

Rumdog
06-02-2009, 11:07 PM
It is watercooled and has an extra etti cap bank. I got it to arm once, then entered prog. mode. changed the lvc. after that, nothing. Seems weird. Even before I tried programming, It wouldn't arm, which seems odd. I even switched from my 2.4ghz rx to a fm27mhz and no change.

Boatman
06-02-2009, 11:08 PM
any odd chance these need piStix with some radio?

Rumdog
06-02-2009, 11:09 PM
Crud!!!! This isn't looking good! SOOO close to getting her on the water too. I wonder if the guy I got it from had issues with it. Seems he may have!

Rumdog
06-02-2009, 11:10 PM
No Pistix req'd for this esc.

ksm2001
06-02-2009, 11:12 PM
No you shouldn't need a piStix, I use a Spectrum dx3 on mine with no problems.

ksm2001
06-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Crud!!!! This isn't looking good! SOOO close to getting her on the water too. I wonder if the guy I got it from had issues with it. Seems he may have!

Sorry to hear that about yours

bustitup
06-02-2009, 11:22 PM

I got that esc in a Titan 40 I bought here in the forums ...when I received the boat I ran it the next day and had no issues at all....the only reason I traded to you for your etti was because I hate esc that need programing by beeps....funny part is that the etti is the same way but I didnt know that till I agreed to trade with you

I assure you I would never sell something that I new wasnt working and I knew for a fact that it works

you can check my rating on ebay my username is nickwild2003 and I have a super rating and have never screwed anyone

Rumdog
06-02-2009, 11:22 PM
I spoke wiyh the guy I purchased it from. He says that he bought it from a reliable source, and that he never attempted to prog. it since it had already been done. He also say that the esc worked ok for him. Now i'm really confused. I actually do believe him, I don't think he's that kinda dude. I do understand how to program it. I have programmed similar esc's often before. Guess I gotta start saving up for a new one again!:doh:

Rumdog
06-02-2009, 11:23 PM
haha, quicker post than me.....

Rumdog
06-02-2009, 11:24 PM
no prob man, I'm not blaming you for anything.

Boatman
06-02-2009, 11:27 PM
One more thing is is it plugged into rx correctly as I have done this before and not realized it. I was so used to futaba white/red/black. the different orange/red/brown threw me and the whacked out symbals used for +and - got me on the Xpower esc's. Just trying to help ya. I know your not a rookie but it sounds like it should work.

Rumdog
06-03-2009, 05:24 AM
Yeah I got it plugged in the receiver the right way. Thanks for your help guys.:thumbup1:

ozzie-crawl
06-03-2009, 05:49 AM
i have played with a few of these speedies and some times you get one that gives up the ghost for no reason, probably faulty programing chip

Rumdog
06-03-2009, 09:05 AM
At least they're inexpensive. I might just buy another. Seems they're just as reliable as Castle Creations controllers. Just wish I could get it here fast.

Rumdog
06-04-2009, 09:06 AM
Took off the shrink. Slight burnt smell. Assuming it is now junk!

ksm2001
06-04-2009, 08:11 PM
OOOOOOOOOOOOOOH that smell..............Ya, would say thats not a good sign.

Ken :canada: