PDA

View Full Version : Proper Feigao 8XL motor timing in Titan 29

cybercrxt
05-31-2009, 07:05 PM
I'm running the stated motor in my titan 29 with a turnigy 120a esc and would like to know the proper timing. Thanks, Mike

cyberhoops
06-01-2009, 02:02 AM
The Fiegao 8xl is a 2 pole motor, and from what I know to this point the timing is mostly a function of the number of poles and then how much you want to push it. For a two pole motor I would go with zero degrees but you could try 3.75 degrees. Increasing the timing will (to a certain point) generate more power and more heat.

ETTI recommends 2 degrees for 2 and 4 pole motors and 7 degrees for 6 to 8 pole motors.

Fluid
06-01-2009, 09:01 AM
Anywhere from 5 to 10 degrees of advance will work fine with that motor. You can run more if you are pushing your equipment. 2-pole motors like timing advance, and indeed require some to run efficiently. They should never be run without timing advance unless they are in a tug boat.

There is too much of a good thing however. Past a certain point - depending on the amp draw and the turns on the motor - you will stop getting efficiency/power increases and just generate excess heat. That's why 5-10 degrees is a safe recommendation for most uses.

DISAR
06-01-2009, 10:25 AM
By increasing the timing advance the speed will also increase but temperatures in ESC-motor will also increase. Check them carefully.

cybercrxt
06-01-2009, 11:24 AM
That sounds good. I have only been running 3.75 degrees right now. I actually had it at 0 degrees before that, so I will try a little bit higher, but not much. Thanks