PDA

View Full Version : Lipo Shield problem?

z400
05-29-2009, 05:42 PM
Went out of town lastnight just to spend some time away from home.
Ive got a lake house down on a major lake here in Illinois.
Took my Supervee with me.

Supervee is mostly stock besides a s220 prop, antenna relocation, radio box trimming, battery boxes removed and a lipo shield.

Here's the problem...
Ive got the lipo shield wired in according to how this one is wired here- (scroll down)
http://www.kintecracing.com/Supervee_27_upgrades.html

Im not using an extra set of plugs, ive got mine soldered right to the plugs ive already got in the boat.

I dont always run lipo, so i just leave everything plug in. Use to have no problems this way with nimh batteries.

Today i went to run it this morning and it was surging with my nimh gp 3700 packs. Fresh charge and all. So i brought it in, couldnt find a darn problem.
Thought at first maybe i had a bad connection somewhere since i just had everything apart the night prior. Nope, not a single bad conenction that i could see.

I unplugged the Lipo shield from inbetween the ESC and receiver.. Fixed! Boat runs so smooth and it actually gained a noticeable amount of speed.
Is there something wrong with this lipo shield? I didnt have a surging problem before with running it, and now it almost sounds like its robbing my power?

I plugged it back in when i threw in my 2 2s 5000mah lipo's and it seemed like my nimh set up was faster. No surging problem, but it seems like this lipo shield is robbing me of some power some where.

Ive got it wired so the positive is on 1 battery and the negative is on the other battery just like it is in the picture.

I didnt get a chance to run the boat on the lipo's with no lipo shield today.
But i may have to give it a shot to see if i have a power difference.

But man, what a speed difference after i unplugged it with my nimh's.
Ive got a video of the boat jumping out of the water straight up right after a spin out/flip. I think i flipped it that time and the recovery was jaw dropping.

But anyways, anyone got any clues as to what the heck is going on?

Thanks

You can see my lipo shield leads running along the positive and the negative battery leads in my boat here-

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b265/ride_wake_210/Boats/002-3.jpg

ksm2001
05-29-2009, 11:15 PM
Hey z400, I run a sv using a Novak smart stop lipo cutoff and I remember back when I ran nimh it did exactly the same as you mentioned, you'll either have to disconnect it for nimh or run only lipos. My packs where old so I knew they didn't have the punch the lipos did, tossed the nimh and only use lipos now.

As for the power issue I'm not sure, how are the connectors on the lipos? I use 5.5 bullets that Steve sells here on all my boats, never use deans anymore.

Ken :canada:

z400
05-29-2009, 11:25 PM
Yeah i need to switch to the bullets.
Just havent got around to it.

Maybe its my deans. I dont know.