PDA

View Full Version : 39 mph out of my Titan 29..What am I doing wrong???

cybercrxt
05-29-2009, 09:34 AM
Well I put a radar on my Aeromarine Titan 29 last night, and even tho the boat looked fast, I only got 39mph consistently out of it. I am looking for opinions about my setup, and if there are things I can change to get it on into the high 40's..Please let me know your honest opinions about what will need to be changed.

Titan 29 hull
Turnigy 120a marine ESC
Feigao 540 8xl motor
Zippy 4000mah, 4s1p, 25c (saddle pack setup)
Speedmaster rudder
Speedmaster tabs
SV27 Stinger - mounted so the bottom of the stinger is 1/4" higher than the bottom of the vee
X640 balanced and sharpened prop
Bottom of the hull is scuffed
I am only running a piece of clear plastic on the top and not using the windsheild top that comes with the boat.

I feel like the prop, batteries or motor might be my biggest problem. Thanks for your opinions! Mike

bustitup
05-29-2009, 09:44 AM
your equipment look very well enough to get to your desired speed...my suggestion would be to check your speed with a gps before you rack your brains trying to get somewhere your already there...I find that radar guns can be very unreliable if your not at the ideal angle of shooting the object in question....unless you are standing directly in front of the boat (which is almost imposable because of it being in water) than you wont get an accurate reading

MHO

cybercrxt
05-29-2009, 09:47 AM
Looks like its time to purchase a GPS then. Any suggestions in what might be the best for boats? Thanks, Mike

bustitup
05-29-2009, 09:58 AM
Looks like its time to purchase a GPS then. Any suggestions in what might be the best for boats? Thanks, Mike

tried and true Garmin Geko 101 or 201 very reasonable

http://cgi.ebay.com/GARMIN-Geko-101-Handheld-GPS-DEVICE-1-YR-WTY_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ156955QQihZ002QQite mZ120424480363QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVWQQsalenotsupp orted

Jesse J
05-29-2009, 10:05 AM
I am betting strut angle, was she running wet? lots of power robbing surface area.

bustitup
05-29-2009, 10:08 AM
I am betting strut angle, was she running wet? lots of power robbing surface area.

do you suggest running streight out or angled up or down?..and what about rudder angle

common brother J...cough up all those speed tips

Steven Vaccaro
05-29-2009, 10:18 AM
Lots of speed can come from tuning your strut height and angle. But the looser it runs the more tendency you will have to roll it or flip it backwards when running into the wind.

Jesse J
05-29-2009, 10:36 AM
On my 33 I have maybe a degree up (if you ran a straight edge along the keel). I am still waiting on vids from the Camel, but you can tell when you have just the strut and maybe an inch of the hull wet. If she starts porpoising, then lower it back down a 1/4 turn. Also, key on this hull is a 3" set back on the strut (someone said 10% of the hull length). I started with 1 1/2 or 2" that came on it, swapped it for a .21 speedmaster stinger and you have all the control in the world. My top speed so far (second run since I've had it) is just 45mph (my 33). I have had my Titan up to 42mph (last fall and haven't run her since) but she was still real wet.

Try kicking up your strut a degree or two. Agree with Steven, you want to do this on a calm day and then for windy conditions, tighten her up some.

I suspect that the SV27 strut is a little stiff and resistant to raise up the amount necessary. Either bore out the holes allowing it to come up more or get yourself a .21 speedmaster stinger strut http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=ros-stinger-str

Bet you get another 10+ mph with out changing any components.

That's enough secret disclosure for one posting.

Blackjack-sven
05-29-2009, 10:40 AM
How old are your batteries?
What did you use to scuff the boat?
Angle of the rudder won't slow the boat down. It may though if you have to angle it with trim left or right to keep the boat running true. Check to see if your rudder and turn fins are 90 degrees to the transom. Trim tabs will also hinder the speed. Try removing them for a run.

cybercrxt
05-29-2009, 10:41 AM
The strut angle is already set to be positive and lift the bow. I have been playing with that, and with the battery location trying to get the boat dryer. Right now, about 12-15" of the bottom of the vee stay in the water. If I hit a wave hard right now the boat has a tendency to want to lift in the front to the point I have to let off the throttle to hold it down. Is my prop a good fit for this setup or is there a better one out there?

I will say this, I ran my VS1, turnigy 120a marine ESC, UL-1 motor, Zippy 5000mah 4s1p 30c, REK lower unit, and we clocked 44mph last night.. It was using the 42x55 grim prop straight out of the bag..and honestly, I am getting way longer run times from that boat than the Titan, using less mah's and the battery is staying much cooler in the VS1 than the titan. Maybe I should have left the stinger on the Titan all the way at the bottom of the hull..I wonder if that is keeping it to far in the water?

cybercrxt
05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
Jesse J,

I have read that the Speedmaster stinger was longer, and worked better with this hull, so I may have to give that a try soon. I will also try removing the tabs and see what happens. The rudder honestly I am questioning. I bought it on the boat, and I need to look at the speedmaster rudder OSE sells, and make sure it looks the same, as I am not really sure if it really is a speedmaster as I was told it was. NEVERMIND, JUST REREAD THE LISTING, AND IT IS APPRENTLY A BBY RUDDER! THE TABS ARE SPEEDMASTER. I bought the boat on here a couple weeks ago, here is the old for sale listing with pics of the boat like I bought it .maybe this will help out:
http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=4739

Blackjack-sven
05-29-2009, 10:50 AM
The strut angle is already set to be positive and lift the bow. I have been playing with that, and with the battery location trying to get the boat dryer. Right now, about 12-15" of the bottom of the vee stay in the water. If I hit a wave hard right now the boat has a tendency to want to lift in the front to the point I have to let off the throttle to hold it down. Is my prop a good fit for this setup or is there a better one out there?

I will say this, I ran my VS1, turnigy 120a marine ESC, UL-1 motor, Zippy 5000mah 4s1p 30c, REK lower unit, and we clocked 44mph last night.. It was using the 42x55 grim prop straight out of the bag..and honestly, I am getting way longer run times from that boat than the Titan, using less mah's and the battery is staying much cooler in the VS1 than the titan. Maybe I should have left the stinger on the Titan all the way at the bottom of the hull..I wonder if that is keeping it to far in the water?

That's a different hull my friend. Intended for speed and your using different batteries, motor, prop and strut/stinger. With such a massive difference in parts, hull and more including water condition (most likely) your trying to compare apples to melons. Try just switching the batteries out with the 5000's and see what happens. Then goe to the next part.

cybercrxt
05-29-2009, 10:59 AM
All the batterys are pretty new. My 5000's have probably 15 charges, the 4000's have probably 8 charges. Any recommendations for which speedmaster rudder would be best on this boat. I am honestly not really happy with the one that is on it anyways as any little thing twists the bracket on it.

Blackjack-sven
05-29-2009, 11:01 AM
This is what I have on my Vortex and I highly doubt it will ever twist.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=tfl-502b20

cybercrxt
05-29-2009, 11:15 AM
That is a nice looking rudder, and a nice looking price!

knpc
05-29-2009, 11:23 AM
What other props do you have to try?

cybercrxt
05-29-2009, 11:58 AM
I have the 42x55 grim, X640, X440, X437/3, Prather 215, and just ordered a 40x52 3 blade Grim from Tower.

Jesse J
05-29-2009, 12:14 PM
I set my Titan 29 up with the 5" speed master rudder and she turns on a dime and gives you 25 cents back. Might be overkill, but didn't want spin-outs ever!

Doug Smock
05-29-2009, 04:16 PM
SV27 Stinger - mounted so the bottom of the stinger is 1/4" higher than the bottom of the vee

Try a s&b m445 with the cg at 8.25". Trim tabs even with the bottom of the boat. ;) Use a straight edge.

Doug :tiphat:

cybercrxt
05-30-2009, 07:39 AM
I will pick one of those props up and see what it does! Thanks.

NorthernBoater
05-30-2009, 09:25 AM
You very well maybe over taxing the batteries. That setup is probably drawing about 80 amps and the 100 amp rating on the Zippy's is optimistic. The quality of the cells is not very good.

Doug Smock
05-30-2009, 10:10 AM
You very well maybe over taxing the batteries. That setup is probably drawing about 80 amps and the 100 amp rating on the Zippy's is optimistic. The quality of the cells is not very good.

Good point.
I'm so used to running 2 P in my monos I read right over that.:o
Can you throw another "p" at it Mke?
Doug

cybercrxt
05-30-2009, 01:23 PM
Haha,

Someone on here knows their stuff...Can you say it was the batteries???

I just got back from the pond..Holy crap..I am still shaking. If the boat was not doing 50mph+ then I would be amazed. I put in my 2- 4s1p, 30c, 5000mah Zippy Flightmax batteries in parallel, and let me just tell you the power was ridiculous! I adjusted the tabs even with the back of the boat, tried the COG at 8.5" from the stern..too far back, adjusted it to about 9"...and the boat was still a hand full, but I was able to keep it down, and it stayed very dry. You could punch the throttle from half to full, and the boat would almost ride a wheelie from the power. I am trying to get up with my friend with the radar gun so we can see the difference. GPS will be coming soon I hope! I will be going back to the pond in couple hours. I will let you know more then how it went.

I am now NOT kicking myself for ordering 5- 5000mah, 4s1p, 20c Zippy Flightmax's and then this morning 2 more 5000mah, 4s1p, 30c Zippy Flightmax's...right before they sold out again, haha..So I should have a great selection of batteries to choose from in the coming weeks.

OH, if anyone is needing batteries, Hobbycity still has over 100 of the 5000mah, 4s1p, 25c packs, and still 420 of the 5000mah, 4s1p, 20c packs. I think the 20c version should work fine with mysetup since I will be running 2 of them in each run from now on..200a ability with that setup..should be plenty. My 30c packs were still cold at the end of the run today..So they were handling the load like a champ!

Thanks for everyones help so far. I am grinning for sure!

Jesse J
05-30-2009, 02:36 PM
Congrats, know the feeling. Makes it allllllllllllll worth it!:banana::banana:

Doug Smock
05-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Very cool!!
It sounds like you can take some of the positive out of the strut.:thumbup1:

cybercrxt
05-30-2009, 02:39 PM
Ok, so guess who is happy. Radared the boat, with the 5000 packs, 49mph!!!! Consistently! With the 4000 packs got 42mph this time. The tab and strut adjustments helped out a lot with the 4000 packs. The boat is straight nasty with the 5000 packs tho. This made my day. Thanks for everyones help. GPS is next!!!!

line6
05-30-2009, 09:24 PM
What prop you end up using?

cybercrxt
05-31-2009, 12:29 AM
I was using the x640 today. When I get my new packs I will test more props.

Flying Scotsman
06-01-2009, 12:41 PM
This is a very interesting thread and shows the quality of the battery is very important in reationship to performance. I would love to see some mandated specifications for battery manufacturers in regards to C ratings etc. That is they submit their battery to an independant testing authority and are then given a stamp of approval and are subject to review of their products on sample testing afterwards.

Douggie

NorthernBoater
06-01-2009, 01:05 PM
This is a very interesting thread and shows the quality of the battery is very important in reationship to performance. I would love to see some mandated specifications for battery manufacturers in regards to C ratings etc. That is they submit their battery to an independant testing authority and are then given a stamp of approval and are subject to review of their products on sample testing afterwards.

Douggie

I think it would be more usefull to have some sort of optional certifcation for batteries. The manufacture would be able to put some sort of stamp on the pack that it meets a set of minimum specs. The stamp would indicate they meet a minimum spec. Something similar to the different audio certications you can have.

Flying Scotsman
06-01-2009, 05:38 PM
Andrew, a great response but how do we get rid of manufacturers (Distributors) with bogus claims. There are not too many companies that actualy make LI-PO batteries

Douggie

ozzie-crawl
06-02-2009, 03:07 AM
plus the company's that would get certified lipos would probably put there prices up to cover the costs of testing and the certification.
a lot of people have been done over with cheap lipos i know i have
they were rated at 25c but were closer to 10c :doh: