PDA

View Full Version : First run, what to look for- temps, props, ect.

Checkmateguy01
05-27-2009, 08:11 PM
Hopefully if the wind and lake are calm enough i'll get my project boat in the water for it's maiden voyage over the weekend!! What are some things i should be looking for?

How about Temps? I've read different things but what are good ESC, battery, and motor temps to look for? I have a laser temp quage so i can get accurate temp readings and don't have to just rely on my hands. I am running DTX4600 NiMh's with an ETTI 150a BEC ESC and Faigeo 540 9xl motor, with seperate water pick-up's for the motor and ESC. I plan to start with either an X440 or X442 prop, which would be better? I also have a few Panther 215's but i would think they might be to small.

My biggest concern is this V-bottom is on the heavy side, quite heavier than my SV27, i hope this motor, ESC and batteries combo will handle it. Lipo's will come later. Thanks, so far you guy's have been a big help.

Blackjack-sven
05-27-2009, 09:11 PM
You should always start with the smallest prop you have and temp the run of all your components, and prop up if you think it can handle a bigger prop. Check to see how heavy the boat is and let us know.

Fluid
05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Is the prop fully submerged or a surfacing prop? That matters a lot for prop sizing. Telling us the specific hull can help. A cheap temperature gauge should not read more than 150F on the motor, ESC or cells. Less is better, depending on run time.

Checkmateguy01
05-27-2009, 10:28 PM
Is the prop fully submerged or a surfacing prop? That matters a lot for prop sizing. Telling us the specific hull can help. A cheap temperature gauge should not read more than 150F on the motor, ESC or cells. Less is better, depending on run time.

It's a 30" Dumas V-bottom, origionaly set-up for a .21 nitro engine, i have a picture thread of the boat titled "it's alive...". Yeah it's a surface drive set-up, actually i used an SV27 strut.

knpc
05-27-2009, 10:44 PM
I jsut finished a 29'' mono with a 9xl and etti 150. I have not weighed the boat, but it is on the heavy side. I started with an x440 and worked my way up checking temps after each run. After testing an m445 wound up being the right prop. Start small. Mine is runnning on lipo which would make it a bit faster and therefor probably would run dryer so I'm not sure if you could go up as high on the prop.

sailr
05-28-2009, 08:30 AM
I think the guy wants to know what is acceptable max temps on the esc, motor and batts. Anyone?

Flying Scotsman
05-28-2009, 12:15 PM
I think the guy wants to know what is acceptable max temps on the esc, motor and batts. Anyone?

That is a difficult question to answer. I would suggest a different response try to keep the motor and ESC as cool as possible over 120 is not great. Batteries, depends with LI-PO you want a start temperature of at least 70 ...90 is better and do not exceed 125. My 2 cents for longevity of the components.

Edit

This is for a first time run, you may push the equipment more at your own peril

Douggie

Checkmateguy01
05-28-2009, 03:18 PM

LOL That's exactly what i am looking for, the max temps and a good temp range to know if i've prop-ed the boat right and if my set-up is good. Again i'm not running lipo yet, NiMh's for now. Thanks.

sailr
05-28-2009, 03:20 PM
IF you can hold on to the motor, esc, battery without jerking your hand away, you're OK. :-)

Seriously, anything under 140 degrees is our benchmark.