PDA

View Full Version : wire length questions...

greatlakestate
05-27-2009, 09:03 AM
After a failed first attempt, I am re-wiring my project boat and have a few questions.

31" Prather Deep Vee nitro conversion- 12 cell 3300 mah 7.2 v, Jetti 600 N ESC, 700 series motor (with diode protection) All 12 gauge copper wire w/bullet connectors.

Batteries have 2 1/2" (on both the pos and neg sides) of wire leading to the harness. I used just under 9" total wire in the harness , the least I could do based on the boat set-up for weight dist. and battery placement. Being that the boat is an outboard, there is quite a bit of wire leading from the ESC to the motor, about 11" total. This is primarily due to the fact that this hull seems to need a mid-hull battery placement for good balance. I've tried placing them closer to the stern with poor results...boat does not get on plane properly. Will this wire distance from the ESC to the motor cause problems w/ resistance or any other issues?

Any other suggestions would be appreciated! Thanks ----Rob

Fluid
05-27-2009, 11:41 AM
What you have isn't ideal, but we have to be practical too. If you have reduced the wiring to the minimum practical lengths then I doubt you will have difficulty, particularly with the 700 brushed motor. A high-draw BL motor would probably not like it much at all. I suspect you'll see no problems with your setup.

Blackjack-sven
05-27-2009, 09:28 PM
Like Fluid said boat weight distribution should be kept and the wire length kept ASAP. If you can try to rearrange your equipment so the CG stays the same but your stuff gets closer together. I had to place my esc in the back of my hull to get the cg back to normal once I placed the batteries in the sponsons of my hydro.

sailr
05-28-2009, 08:32 AM
If one or the other has to be lengthened, which is best, lengthen the motor to esc wires or battery wires?

Simon.O.
05-29-2009, 03:53 AM
Some good reading here

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/showthread.php?t=28184

and some more

http://www.rumrunnerracing.com/feforums/showthread.php?t=27964

Blackjack-sven
05-29-2009, 08:18 AM
If one or the other has to be lengthened, which is best, lengthen the motor to esc wires or battery wires?

I honestly don't think it matters which wire you make longer because the power draw from your components needs to go through all the wires.

DISAR
05-29-2009, 08:59 AM
Keep the esc-bat wires as short as possible, it is a rule. I just increased these wires by 6-12" (don't remember exactly) and what happened was:flashfire:
with exactly the same setup that was running fine before