PDA

View Full Version : Dumas deepvee 40 conversion to electric

bobswworld
07-04-2007, 12:10 PM
Hi, new to your forums,
I purchased what I believe to be a dumas deep vee 40, it had a k&b 40 marine and definitely dumas running hardware but because of noise I am changing it to electric,
I was having a little trouble with finding parts until I looked back into my old bookmarks and remembered this website, think I have found the right place.
I was wondering if anyone knows this boat, I know that dumas is not considered one of the best by far, but it is what I have for now.
Will this motor mount work?

Product ID: cen-bj16
Aluminum Motor Mount for 500, 600, 700 Motors.

the mount in my boat is 3 3/4" across

any help on motor size recommendation to push this boat?

I have found motor coupler that I need for now here and any others I might ever need
I will post a pic later

bobswworld
07-04-2007, 12:35 PM
Here are some pics for this boat, needs a paint job too

SJFE
07-04-2007, 02:42 PM
Bob I don't think that is enough motor. With the weight of that hull you willneed one of those big pulso motors Steven has on order. I would run no less than a 120 amp esc and 14 to 16 cells. One of the first things you need to do is make a water tight hatch for the hull. A piece of plexi or lexan should do the trick. Great hull...it will be kewl to see it go. Good luck

Jeepers
07-04-2007, 09:29 PM
Is there anyway you can remove that center divider and possibly anything else not needed? it would help lighten the hull a bit.

bobswworld
07-05-2007, 01:52 AM
Thanks for the replies,
good idea on weight reduction, I was afraid I would have to spend more for a real motor to push it.
I will definetely look into removing atleast part of the center, was thinking I would try to use it to isolate some of the electronics, but a radio box would be better.
Will also look into a better motor setup, already have two batteries nicd or should I go brushless with lipo
new to this but trying to learn
Thanks again

ED66677
07-05-2007, 07:34 AM
go for brushless! no doubt! much more reliable than brushed! a KB45XL is this what you recommand SJFE?
Lipo's... what's your budget? that's the question!
stay with Nimh at the begining!

SJFE
07-05-2007, 12:01 PM
I believe thats the motor.

bobswworld
07-05-2007, 12:31 PM
Where do I purchase this motor? searched and united hobbies came up. does ose carry them? Which esc should I use? 120amp was suggested, There are so many choices
I don't have to go real fast but I guess you can always let off the throttle

whats the paint of choice for this wood model? not sure what is on it now but it doesn't look very good. stripping it is definitely something that is going to happen

I think I started this project to late, kinda itchy to get it wet

really excited that everyone wants to help

thanks!!

ED66677
07-05-2007, 01:28 PM
120A esc is the minimum, these motors will give around 3500watts max, so at max voltage (36v) that's around 100amps, I would go for a Castle Hydra 120, it can go up to 24v so you will pull 2400watts max (assuming you'll go for 24v!)
that's a motor I want to try on my 36" mono but I cant' afford such esc :(

I think Jeepers and SJFE will agree with me to say that batteries will be also an issue, you will need 2 packs in parallel of 20x4000mAh NiMh cells to support such a high amp draw! that'll cost pretty much!

SJFE
07-05-2007, 04:31 PM
You can get away with 2x8 cell ib36 or 4200 cells in series. 20.4 volts should gibe you the power you need. They will be about 90 dollars a pack. so you are looking @ 360 bucks for power 180 for an esc and misc parts. I would say 650 dollars to get that boat moving. If you have your heart set on running soon I would suggest picking up a prebuilt used boat or buying a SuperVee. Just giving you an idea of the costs involved in a hull this size.

Jeepers
07-06-2007, 12:52 AM
How much does the hull weigh? I would remove any thing not needed from the hull to lighten it, If you build a good hatch and tape it down test it bath tub/ pool before you install electronics making sure that its water tight. you do not need a radio box. ( none of my boats have one) These guys are right about $$$$, your gonna need some! IF i were to build such a boat I would go lipo. but what is the voltage you want to run? what speeds are you looking to reach?

Jeepers
07-06-2007, 02:04 AM
can you take a pic of the boat from the side? from the angle of the pic I cant tell if it surface drive or not.

SJFE
07-06-2007, 09:16 AM
Jeepers that hull is build like a brick crapper. I have seen the kit. If done right its prolly between 3 & 5 pounds empty. I guess stripping the stringers, bulkheads and anything else would be a huge help. But they are structural suports so the rigidity of the hull may be reduced. Hey Bob. Know what would be kewl... and prolly cheaper. A set of 700sc's Darin Jordan had some realy nice rchydro units in the swap shop now. A set of counter rotating 700s running direct surface drives on a set of 6s lipos...... Just a thought. it would be considerably cheaper.

bobswworld
07-06-2007, 11:37 AM
Ouch!!
maybe I need to crawl before I run, maybe I could put this one on the back burner and do like you suggest. Get something lighter and up to date. always can put the nitro motor back in it, it'll go with that!!
yeah for that money I could be running in no time with a boat that would be fast enough for just beginning. Sounds like good advice.
Must be why you do not see very many of these older wood vees by electric
The wife will not understand this so I will have to sell my plane to finance anymore projects.
will keep your suggestions for power for future and hopefully I will get one that needs modified somewhat,
I like your saying "I don't build It, I make it go faster"
Thanks again for your help
will be around, maybe with another project
I have a little nikko toy boat that I was going to use for a recovery craft, maybe I'll throw a big motor in it and take out the gear reduction and laugh
PS, I guess I did not see all the replies until now
I weighed the hull with electonics, two batteries, and a motor and it weighed 6.5 pounds, the drive is submerged dumas hardware with a prop diameter of around 2.75 inches, everything is big and the hull is in relatively good shape for its age, the hardware is all there, it will go real good on the k&b 40 that was in it, just is loud!!
it would be kewl to go with dual motors and such but i think i like the newer boat idea and I could run this one nitro, will post a new project hopefully soon
Thanks all
Bob

Jeepers
07-07-2007, 10:41 AM
Jeepers that hull is build like a brick crapper. I have seen the kit. If done right its prolly between 3 & 5 pounds empty. I guess stripping the stringers, bulkheads and anything else would be a huge help. But they are structural suports so the rigidity of the hull may be reduced. Hey Bob. Know what would be kewl... and prolly cheaper. A set of 700sc's Darin Jordan had some realy nice rchydro units in the swap shop now. A set of counter rotating 700s running direct surface drives on a set of 6s lipos...... Just a thought. it would be considerably cheaper.
I built a dumas kit awhile back and used carbon rods made it substantially lighter, instead of using all the wood stringers and bulkheads. but as i thought the kit was crap I never ran it. traded it for an rc car.

Jeepers
07-07-2007, 10:44 AM
Ouch!!
maybe I need to crawl before I run, maybe I could put this one on the back burner and do like you suggest. Get something lighter and up to date. always can put the nitro motor back in it, it'll go with that!!
yeah for that money I could be running in no time with a boat that would be fast enough for just beginning. Sounds like good advice.
Must be why you do not see very many of these older wood vees by electric
The wife will not understand this so I will have to sell my plane to finance anymore projects.
will keep your suggestions for power for future and hopefully I will get one that needs modified somewhat,
I like your saying "I don't build It, I make it go faster"
Thanks again for your help
will be around, maybe with another project
I have a little nikko toy boat that I was going to use for a recovery craft, maybe I'll throw a big motor in it and take out the gear reduction and laugh
PS, I guess I did not see all the replies until now
I weighed the hull with electonics, two batteries, and a motor and it weighed 6.5 pounds, the drive is submerged dumas hardware with a prop diameter of around 2.75 inches, everything is big and the hull is in relatively good shape for its age, the hardware is all there, it will go real good on the k&b 40 that was in it, just is loud!!
it would be kewl to go with dual motors and such but i think i like the newer boat idea and I could run this one nitro, will post a new project hopefully soon
Thanks all
Bob good luck cant wait to see your new project!