PDA

View Full Version : Hydro SAW problems

Gary
05-26-2009, 10:34 PM
I have a 32 inch Miss Attitude Hydro that has a few problems. When i first got this boat it would not run correctly. It would suck itself to the water and dig in and flip for no reason and was always out of controll. It would also turn on a dime.... but has no turn fin. I moved weight all around and mostly backwards, including motor with no luck. The best it would run was 60-62mph. I then changed the angle of attack on the sponsons and low and behold it was riding to high on the water and would not turn, aswell as "hop' alot. At one point one of my glued on pads came of and the boat got much better. Boat went a 73mph. Then the other split in half during a blow over so i thought the day was over but i sanded smooth what was left and gave it another shot. The boat never ran so well and blasted repeated 76-78 mph runs with a best of 84mph on new 40-80c batteries i tested. Needless to say i was thrilled but after making new pads close to what was left after the crash the boat is sucking itself to the water again and steering to the right. So....my question. How do i set up sponson pad AOA? Is there a method to this? I found that one pad flat, right side and the other angled, left side, was best, i copied my Bandit Larsony hull. Also the boat on all its highest speed runs ALWAYS wants to turn right, looking at the rear of boat...not prop walk but actually turning right to the point i have to put some left rudder into it but then she will blow over. Hope someone can help and this does not sound to wacky! Thanks again.:help:

Rumdog
05-26-2009, 10:44 PM
Got any pics of the boat? sponsons/transom would help.

Gary
05-26-2009, 10:48 PM
Iwill try and get some. I took lots of video and would look at each frame to see what was going on but no pictures. I will try and get some and figure out how to post them.

Fluid
05-27-2009, 07:33 AM
You haven't given us much information to help you. No surprise it didn't run well out of the box - the Miss Attitude was pretty much a flop for Dominator Boats (Twisted Liquid Racing), most of their products didn't work unless specially rigged by their owner. I met him once and spent some time discussing RTR boats. He spent most of that time strongly promoting himself. But I digress...

What motor, prop, cells, ESC, and hardware are you using? Where is the CG? How deep is the strut and what angle is it? What angle of attack on the sponsons worked best?

The boat is clearly prop walking at high speed, and strongly. Needing to add some left rudder is common with most fast hydros, but too much left too fast will flip most of them, nothing strange there. Offsetting the driveline, or twisting it to the left helps to minimize prop walk.

Meniscus
05-27-2009, 09:59 AM
...or twisting it to the left helps to minimize prop walk..

Sorry for jumping in here, but I had heard of people twisting the driveline to the port side. For clarity sake, you are saying that one solution is to angle the driveline and the strut to the port side? Have you done this with any of your setups? Are there any rules of thumb regarding the amount of prop walk and the amount of offset or twisted angle to the port side? And last, how much angle have you used and how much is appropriate (preferably in degrees or a fraction of a degree)?

Thanks Jay for taking the time to answer my questions. :smile: => I'm always learning...

Gary
05-27-2009, 10:17 AM
thanks fluid for your time. I run a 1521 1,5 d NEU, 240 castle 25 volts, m645 prop . COG is 1.5 inches past sponsons. As far as what worked best for the sponsons. I coudnt tell you because the sponson pads i made got ripped apart from a few blow overs and only a smaal part of the balsa was left. The guys i was with kept saying to take a picture of how bad they where because the boat was running 78-84 mph and it shoudnt have.

BILL OXIDEAN
05-27-2009, 10:28 AM
thanks fluid for your time. I run a 1521 1,5 d NEU, 240 castle 25 volts, m645 prop . COG is 1.5 inches past sponsons. As far as what worked best for the sponsons. I coudnt tell you because the sponson pads i made got ripped apart from a few blow overs and only a smaal part of the balsa was left. The guys i was with kept saying to take a picture of how bad they where because the boat was running 78-84 mph and it shoudnt have.

Yeah buddy, them balsa pads rip off like a band-aid especially during spin-outs and side impact landings.. I've had 'em snatch off in the straights!

The trick is to glue them to DEATH! You want a thick layer up near the tips as well.. That's the bart most likely to come undone even in the straights.. I assume you're skinning them with plywood. It also helps to shoot them down with clear or a thin layer of ca on the sides to help prevent water absorbtion into the balsa

Brittle little buggers at times but those balsa ride pads sure plane sweet..

Fluid
05-27-2009, 11:37 AM
For clarity sake, you are saying that one solution is to angle the driveline and the strut to the port side? Have you done this with any of your setups?

Yes, twisting the strut so the prop is pointing to the left will help to counteract propwalk. I used to do this on most of my boats, but today I usually mount the strut to the right of the hull centerline to get the same effect. But for boats with the strut on the center, twist it 2-3 degrees and see how it works. Twisting (or shimming the bracket) too much can hurt by lifting the left side of the boat, increasing drag on the right and more pulling in that direction.

Gary
05-27-2009, 12:39 PM
OK i will try that with the strut. But going by my Bandit Larsony boat the sponsons are two differnt sizes....the left side is angled and the right is flat. I was thinking about puting a angle pad on the right "backwards of the Larsony"to counter the right drift??? I hate to experiment like this....i dont no how many more blow overs she can handle.

mobychev
05-27-2009, 07:18 PM
Hi Gary
what batterys are you using??
just interested as i am setting up a Rigger (Keps freebie)with the same motor/controller also what length is your tub
thanks
Graham

Gary
05-27-2009, 09:44 PM
I am using 40-80c Thunder power batteries from RC LIPO.COM . Tub length is 14 inches .

Gary
05-27-2009, 09:51 PM
I just made a new ride pad for the left side with a 0 to .90 angle and twisted the strut 1 degree. Im going to try and test as long as wind dies down thursday night.

mobychev
05-27-2009, 10:50 PM
I am using 40-80c Thunder power batteries from RC LIPO.COM . Tub length is 14 inches .

Thanks Gary
Only 14 inches that must be a tight squeeze :unsure:
are you running a 4S and a 3S??
I have a thunder power 6Sbut it is only 25c so might have to upgrade, I believe the 30C are a big step up .
Cheers
Graham

Gary
05-28-2009, 09:39 PM
Well my problem is over ..............boat is wrecked. Just started to get it on plane and i ran out of room. I was at the other end of the lake do to the wind and of course there is a log on the side that i seemed to avoid all night untill the last run. Boat was on a low 80 mph run when there was nothing i could do . Hit it at 76 mph on gps. I am truely sick over this. I sat there looking out over the water for 10 min before i packed up and left with what was left. Anyone have a 80-90 mph hull they want to sell?LOL ...Good times.........Gooood Times.