PDA

View Full Version : More Surgery.

Capt. Crash
05-23-2009, 07:48 PM
It's a total washout here this weekend so I thought I would do some work on some of the boats.

On the UL-1...repair of the busted up leading edge following buoy collisions:

I cut the front of the tub open. I then spread some Z-poxy resin and laid a 7" X 2 1/2" piece of 2oz fiberglass cloth from sponson to sponson along the leading edge. I brushed more resin on top of that making sure it was as even and as smooth as possible top to bottom, side to side. While it was still wet I cut a 7" piece of glass 1/4" rod (used to be safety flag pole on bicycle) and laid it up along the leading edge, with the boat standing on it's nose, pushing in with the brush. Finally...I poured the last half of the 1/2 oz of resin I had mixed for this job on top of the rod and helped it spread evenly along and over the top of everything. You can see the white glass rod in the pics.

Man she is strong now! :banana:

I was going to do the new 5.5mm plugs but discovered I don't have the right size shrink tube...I have 12 feet of 1/4" but need something a little bigger....rats! :cursing:

Drag Boat Bob
05-23-2009, 09:09 PM
Nice job Dr. Crash...

That's a nice square-cornered rectangle you have there. You must have steady hands.

What's the plan on covering the opening?

Looks like the sponson access is also open.

Capt. Crash
05-23-2009, 09:52 PM
Nice job Dr. Crash...

That's a nice square-cornered rectangle you have there. You must have steady hands.

What's the plan on covering the opening?

Looks like the sponson access is also open.

Yeah...it came out OK....I rebuilt the sponson last week. It's in one of the threads here and the UL-1 thread on the other site. The holes are covered with clear duct tape. Works great...very tight seal and very replaceable. The boat is much stronger and stiffer now. :popcorn2:

nate
05-30-2009, 09:23 PM
Looking very good man!!