PDA

View Full Version : spektrum sr3000

ozboater
05-23-2009, 05:35 PM
ok gents... the time has come... i ve removed the plastic radio box from my sv27 and mocked it up as per the photos... looking good i think, the servo mounted up nicely against the motor mount with one of the motor mount holes being dremeled to remove a bit of material... a little dremel work on the servo and she fits in perfectly... no screws of zip ties or CA needed...

anyway, i m wondering about the sr3000 rx... a good friend of mine who has been involved in RC for years assures me that they are water proof... i m not convinced... my boat is pretty water tight... occasionally it ll take on an ounce or a touch more... nothing crazy... am i better off treating the rx with corrosion x or something similar before running the boat or will it be ok as is ?? how about the ESC looks to be relatively well sealed but i m not sure...

any thoughts / suggestions welcomed...

cheers

oz

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/partsbara/DSC03561.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f153/partsbara/DSC03563.jpg

Darin Jordan
05-23-2009, 06:25 PM
I don't think they are water proof... I'd recommend dipping in in clear tool dip, or putting it inside a balloon, etc...

Raydee
05-23-2009, 06:33 PM
They are def not water proof, I run them in everything RC related that I own.

eboat
05-23-2009, 06:48 PM
I mounted my reciever on the transom off the floor because you will have water in there sooner or later :)

ozboater
05-24-2009, 12:27 AM
right on... i figured as much... so it s prolly best to dip it somehow ?? whats the best stuff for the job ?? i ve heard + / - about balloons for the job... dunno... darin, i guess you dip all of yours ?? whats the procedure, i d guess you need the servo and ESC plugs installed in the rx and then just dip away ?? i have no idea since i m a relative newb...

the rx isn t actually on the bottom of the boat... it sits on a small platform that is about a half inch off the bottom of the V...

seems i need to address this problem before i hit the water...

ESC ok to run as is ?? it ll be strapped down of course

have a good one people

oz

Raydee
05-24-2009, 06:08 AM
Oz I would just open it up and spray it with some Corrosion X then keep it off the bottom of the hull. I put my receivers in balloons for years and stopped after opening one up and finding that the board was all corroded and rusted. The heat from the receiver causes moisture in the balloon and because it is sealed it has nowhere to go. By the way I have dunked receivers in the past, opened them up and sprayed them with electric contact cleaner, let them dry out overnight and they were all fine.
Esc's are another story, some do ok once wet and other don't. Your best bet is to try to keep the hull as dry as possible. I spend a good deal of time on all my hulls making sure they are completely water tight. If I crash and blow a hole in my hull that is a different story but for regular running my hulls are dry.

ozboater
05-24-2009, 12:35 PM
thanks raydee... i appreciate ya advice.... what are some of you other guys who run spektrum stuff doing ??

have a good memorial day folks...

wamf
05-24-2009, 12:44 PM
I've been running them for a few years in boats and they have gotten pretty wet and never had a problem. I recently applied corrosion x to them for extra insurance. It works great on my esc's so why not a rx.
MikeV

ozboater
05-26-2009, 05:02 PM
i ve been searchign for corrosion x... where can ibuy this stuff ??? looked over the OSE stuff and it seems as though steven doesn t carry it... possibly not able to send it in the mail ??

i m in CA if that helps..

cheers

Meniscus
05-26-2009, 05:16 PM
Some folks put a small sponge in the most likely place to collect water, but I haven't tried that.

If someone hasn't shown you this link yet, it's worth checking out => http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/info.php#Waterproofing_Tips_&_Info_

Also keep in mind that if you flip and water enters the hull, the water will be towards the hatch, so putting these electronics in the middle is a plus. Then, when you retrieve the boat, just tip it so that you do not flood the electronics, then dump out once you get the hatch open and free of the hatch tape.

A lot of people use the Corrosion X including myself and I personally have had good results. It can be found here => http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=corr-x I don't see any reason why this can't be shipped ground to you.

ozboater
05-26-2009, 05:59 PM
awesome meniscus... thanks very much :rockon2: