PDA

View Full Version : Darin's ProBoat FASTech Racing Adventure...

Darin Jordan
05-22-2009, 10:54 AM
Well gang... I've read through all the threads here, and have taken it all in...

ProBoat sent me a Formula FASTech, at my request, to attempt to run in LSO (Limited Spec Offshore).

They sent me one of their test boats and I received it last night. After giving it the once-over, tightening all the fasteners, lubing the shaft, and making sure everything was initially set correctly, I installed my Spektrum SR3100 RX and have everything setup now to hit the water. Time to find out how it'll do in competition, and what might need to be done to improve it.

I'm going to be running this straight-up stock, including the prop for the first run... After some minor adjustments and prop changes, if needed, we'll see where we go from there.

Based on running this power system in another 26" Mono a couple of weeks ago, there is plenty of 4S power here to be competitive. The hull also looks fast enough in a straight line to work... However, in oval racing, or Offshore, the races are usually won or lost in the turns, so that's where we'll focus the efforts...

First race out will be this Sunday, (May 24th)... I think Jim Clark is going to be there taking pictures, so perhaps we'll get some action photos out of the deal. I'll report on the race after it's concluded and let you know if we learned anything. It's going to be interesting to see how the sub-surface drive, deep offshore nose, and flat aft hull are going to combine to turn at speed... I suspect the turn-fins are going to need some work as well... they seem WAY to vertical... and long, quite frankly...

We'll see... Stay tuned!

bigpapa
05-22-2009, 10:58 AM
good luck looking foreward to the results

bigcam406
05-24-2009, 12:25 AM
good luck.im curious to see how well it performs as well.

JimClark
05-24-2009, 12:52 AM
Yup looking forward to being there and the camera is making the trip also

Darin Jordan
05-25-2009, 12:29 AM
Well... I ran the FASTech in LSO today.... Interesting boat.

I tried it bone stock, prop and all... the turn fins really caused it to trip in the turns. I took them off and bent them outward to make them perpendicular to the bottom of the boat... HUGE improvement.

I also added the "training wheels" to the trim tabs. This got rid of most of the chine-walk.

I ran in three heats of LSO... which for us was 8-laps around an ~1/6th mile course with one left hand turn... boat has plenty of power and speed. The flat bottom makes it a bit of a handful in the turns, but I was able to drive it to two clear 1st place wins, and one second... too overall for the day. Took some careful driving in the turns, but overall, it wasn't too bad.

First prop was detounged 45x55, second was a modified X437/3, and the third was more stock X437/3. All three props were more than capable on this boat, the the handling was best with the last two. Being a sub-surface drive arrangement, if you get the prop wrong... you know it!

On the last heat, I put the trim-tabs down a tad, which was a big mistake... I survived the heat to finish 2nd, but the boat wanted to bowsteer like crazy. I had to back down and just finish. Don't use too much tab....

bigcam406
05-25-2009, 05:36 AM
congrats on your wins.thats impressive for a stock boat.:thumbup1:

Darin Jordan
05-25-2009, 01:36 PM
Sometimes, it's a matter of racing smart, and keeping the boat upright... It DID have enough speed... just difficult at times to keep upright in the turns... The flat bottom hull design isn't ideal for oval or offshore racing... but it can be made to work.

LiPo Power
05-26-2009, 01:15 PM
Darin, any info on your FF speed? What batteries did you use? I went to pond with Doby and his friends. They instantly decided to put their hands on my boat and we were able to get 32.4 MPH with no mods, all stock....

LiPo Power
05-26-2009, 01:17 PM
Videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZfpqdsTSASE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XsO8ivqHlY0

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/dobydog6507/?action=view&current=LiPosFastech002.flv

http://s167.photobucket.com/albums/u145/dobydog6507/?action=view&current=LiPosFastech001.flv