PDA

View Full Version : Very frusterating...

greatlakestate
05-20-2009, 05:27 PM
I spent last night re-wiring a "y" harness and installing bullet connectors on my project boat. I originally had the Tamiaya type but was having a power loss problem. Went to plug in the Jetti 600....nothing. Everything is connected properly, joints are solid and the servo/ radio connector slot is hot . Motor is working. I spent a few hours really making sure everything was 100%, even drew a nice diagram and I get nothing. I have jiggled, flipped and jiggled again. The only thing I did to the ESC was solder connectors on to it...did it get to hot? I think I am going to take a brake, maybe something will come to me. any ideas?

egneg
05-20-2009, 05:47 PM
A picture of what you did please.

Flying Scotsman
05-20-2009, 06:53 PM
When, you state a power loss problem with Tamiya connectors , what happened.

Douggie

greatlakestate
05-20-2009, 07:13 PM
Thanks for the replies...I don't have a digital camera (yet) I made a standard "y" harness based on the design of the Deans harness in the store section. Maybe
8 or 9" wire total. The other one I did actually worked (other than a few glitches as listed below)

From an earlier post with my original issue:

31" Deep Vee
700 series brushed motor
Jetti 600
12 cell

Just working out the bugs...

I have had the boat running great except for a few power issues. I am experiencing power loss issues every so often, especially after coming out of a high speed turn. I will make the turn, and if I shut the throttle down to line up for another run, it will lose power for several seconds. The motor is getting current and I have full radio control, but power is very low and the prop will just barely spin...similar to when the batteries are close to discharged. One time it took me shutting off the power to the receiver to "reset" other times just waiting a few seconds it is was fine again. I inspected the boat and found no apparent esc issues (no beeping alarms as indicated if the Jetti gets overloaded), Motor is slightly warm, electrical parts are cool to the touch, wiring appears to be o.k.

After a closer look at home, I did find a possible connector issue. I'm using Cen/Tamiya type connectors and there was a female positive line connector post on my Y harness that was expanded. (I pulled this one out to re-crimp the wire connection and re-installed during constuction...my fault!) I gently brought it back into shape and have not yet tried the boat. Didn't think this would cause such a drop, but maybe. I am also wondering if this could be a connection problem at a solder joint? I am fairly new to FE so this may be a simple fix. Thanks (again and again!) ----Rob

Flying Scotsman
05-20-2009, 08:02 PM
Rob, ditch the Tamiya connectors, Deans will work fine on your setup. Plus your frankness is very refreshing. If you need help on soldering, let us know, Also what batteries

Douggie

greatlakestate
05-20-2009, 08:59 PM
Douggie,

Thanks, your help is appreciated! Yes, I agree...my whole reason for tearing the wiring system down was to replace the Tam. connectors w/ bullet style thinking the power loss was caused by this. I tested and inspected everything tonight and found the Jeti is just not functioning...no power, no beeps, nothing...no matter what combination of power. I disconnected the harness and tried 1 battery, nothing. The receiver is fine, I tested the slot with another servo, no problems. I've only used the ESC few times before and did have problems, maybe that was my issue all along. I know enough about soldering and wiring to make sure I don't damage anything so unless I truly made a mistake, it doesn't appear to be me. I'm using a 3300 mah 6 cell x 2 I think I will return the ESC as it is honestly not working, and is under warranty. If it still doesn't work, I'll know it is something else and will keep looking.

Thanks ----Rob

Flying Scotsman
05-20-2009, 09:43 PM
I'm using a 3300 mah 6 cell x 2

in series or parallel ?

That is a great ESC and you may have a wonky one. Plus is the motor new? and the brushes and armature have not been abused and was that the case on previous motors?

Douggie

Blackjack-sven
05-20-2009, 10:01 PM
The only thing I can think that went wrong is that you propped up too much on the boat before you had the problem and then soldering the leads on afterwards may have finished off the controller. If thats not it then I wouldn't know where to start with the problem other than that the ESC was a lemon. But either way it sounds like you should try all different equipment that you know works and sub out the ESC and see what happens.

greatlakestate
05-21-2009, 11:51 AM
Douggie, in series. The motor is not new. It is a 700 series, 18 volt fan cooled drill motor. I work at a hardware store and the motor saw previous life as light use odds and ends tool around the store, putting wheelbarrows together, etc. Maybe a year old. There were no apparent damage issues. The motor seems very clean and runs smooth. I bought the drill for $10 bucks after reading about other guys using drill motors in boats with success, thought it would be a fun build...it is mounted on a K&B lower unit outboard.

Blackjack,

I am using a Octura x440. About a week ago I ran the boat for the first time well below top end and noticed a few power drop issues, like the batteries were run down, then it would pick up. During every run, about 5 now, I checked the ESC (and batteries/motor) and never felt any real heat other than what appeared to be normal, the boat would just cut out once a run. I always checked after the cut out and nothing was hot. Also, I didn't get any caution alarms as listed in the Jeti manual after reaching a high temp while running. The second soldering may have done it. To fit the ESC where I needed it and to reduce wire length, I soldered my connectors about 3/4" away from the unit on the battery side. Having changed the connectors recently, I did this process twice. I did notice that the unit seemed very warm after my second installation but didn't think anything of it because there wasn't a current going through it. So, maybe it was me. Thanks ----Rob

AndyKunz
05-21-2009, 12:03 PM
Those connectors are you problem. They are intermittently making a poor connection. Whoever started using them in RTR boats should be shot!!!

Andy

Meniscus
05-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Do you use this radio system with anything else? Just a thought.

Do you have a different motor you could try the ESC with? At least you could isolate the issue to the ESC alone.

Do you have another ESC you can try to see if it is the ESC causing the issue?

Last, as Egneg mentioned, pictures may be helpful. There could be an issue with the receiver and interference. If the radio system is the type that shuts down when signal is lost, this could prevent your ESC from arming properly. Perhaps you could take a picture with your cell phone, or borrow someone else's.

=> Just putting forward some other ideas.

greatlakestate
05-21-2009, 12:09 PM
Andy,

Yeah, never had an issue back in the day with them on cars (and a few MRP boats) so I didn't think of it as being an issue.

They have since been replaced w/bullets. Haven't been able to test it, ESC is dead. I think I fried my ESC during the soldering process, read my previous posts on this topic.

greatlakestate
05-21-2009, 12:17 PM
I don't have any other motors or ESCs to try...right now my only ESC is now dead. It is an older Futaba radio, I didn't see any problems before, everything is still functional, steering, etc. during the power loss. Once I get another ESC option, I will eliminate other probabilities from there. I will most likely end up getting a new radio and motor...but the budget says that is pretty far down the down the road, maybe this fall.

Blackjack-sven
05-21-2009, 12:20 PM
what about other esc's in your cars, buggies, trucks? do you have ANY esc's available?

AndyKunz
05-21-2009, 02:33 PM
Andy,

Yeah, never had an issue back in the day with them on cars (and a few MRP boats) so I didn't think of it as being an issue.

Here's a little example I've used in the past to help folks understand the difference between cars and boats.

Let's say you have a Suburban with a 454 in it. You use it to tow your 24' boat which, by the way, also has a 454 in it. You zoom down to the lake at 80 MPH, plunk the boat in the water, and take it out for the afternoon.

While on the water, you feel like you're really doing good hitting 50-55 MPH with the throttle stick slammed all the way forward. Day ends, you head back to shore, trailer your boat, and go 80 MPH on the way home.

Get home, top up the boat with 20+ gallons of gas. While you're there, you top up the Suburban with another 10.

Then you sit back and realize that you burned twice as much gas in your boat going about 2/3 the speed. And you got better gas mileage with Suburban + boat + trailer than you did in the boat alone.

Boat ESCs need to be heavier-duty with the same motors as a car, and the connectors need to be as well.

They have since been replaced w/bullets. Haven't been able to test it, ESC is dead. I think I fried my ESC during the soldering process, read my previous posts on this topic.

Yeah, I saw that. Kind of hard to do. If you like, I can handle the soldering for you. There are also a bunch of good guys in MI who can take good care of you too. http://www.mmeu.com/

Andy

Meniscus
05-21-2009, 02:38 PM
That's a great explanation that everyone can understand. :thumbup1:

ozzie-crawl
05-22-2009, 06:40 AM
yes i like andys explanation as well but the boat should have 2 supercharged 454s :zip-up:

Blackjack-sven
05-22-2009, 01:00 PM
yes i like andys explanation as well but the boat should have 2 supercharged 454s :zip-up:

:roflol: :iagree:

greatlakestate
05-22-2009, 05:51 PM
Thanks for all the help, I've learned some great lessons. That is the last time I rush to get out on the water and think, "no big deal, I'll be fine!!!"

I sold most of my RC stuff years ago, and am using the last radio/receiver that I had. (I'll upgrade soon) I had a MRP MR. Pringles hydro and the MRP outboard cat. Loved the cat, didn't care much for the hydro...you had to basically throw it to get on plane.

I am taking the time until my replacement ESC arrives to again re-do my wiring harness...shorter now about 9" total (the best I could do with the battery positioning requirements) using 12 gauge wire (did 14 last time and had a LOT of wire, should have read the tips section better!) I'm also using bullet connectors. I'll keep you posted ----Rob

AndyKunz
05-23-2009, 09:54 AM
I'd love to have a Pringles with modern power in it!

Andy