PDA

View Full Version : Thanks! Fine tuning help...

greatlakestate
05-17-2009, 07:51 PM
First, thank you all for the past 3 months with the help on my boat, it is finally in the water and running!!!

My set-up is a 31" Prather deep vee 3.5 outboard lower unit, 700 motor, water cooled Jetti 600 w/12 cells, Octura x440. I would guestimate about 25 - 30 mph with a 6 minute run time. All parts are running cool, with a nice stream of water from my hull outlet. Not crazy fast, but once I fooled with the throttle and weight a bit, a small portion of the hull and the outboard were the only thing in the water. Fine for what I'm looking for. Trim seems to be extremely level and smooth, but I am having a problem with cavitation.

I cranked the K&B outboard height adjustment all the way up to start. The prop shaft is just about level with the point of the vee on the transom. I am getting cavitation about midway coming out of the hole, then it will plane. I have to back it off once it gets up and then it eventually hits a sweet spot at about 80% throttle. Once it gets going and well out of the water, I can open it up. This process takes a lot of throttle control and doesn't happen everytime. I I am wondering if dropping the outboard a bit will help...I see a lot of FEs with a prop very close to the surface, so I figured this is where I should start. Maybe I need a different approach since this is an outboard and has a plate just over the prop, etc...

Where should I start my tuning process...any ideas from the experts? Thanks!

785boats
05-18-2009, 03:01 PM
I think an X440 may be just a bit small for a 31" hull on a 700. this could be causing the cavitation.
Try an X442.
We used to run X445 props on 700 motors with 12 cells, but that was in 26/27" hulls.
Don't know how they go in a 31" hull. An M445 may work well. Just keep an eye on the temps.
Someone else will help you there I'm sure.
Cheers.
Paul.

crabstick
05-18-2009, 04:07 PM
I would also say that the X440 on a 700 might be your problem, m445 would probably be my choice too.

egneg
05-18-2009, 04:40 PM
I have a 27" cat with a 700 and use a prather 225S that has been back cut.

greatlakestate
05-18-2009, 08:19 PM
Thanks,

Lowering the outboard just a hair did the trick with the cavitation. I also tried a 3blade x437 that I have. It really dug in and flew a couple laps, but I noticed a sudden power loss and then I could only get a tiny amount of juice enough to barely spin the prop and get back to the dock. I checked the Jetti ESC and it seemed fine.

I switched off my radio power, went back to the x440 turned it back on and things seemed fine. I've had a couple other power loss issues where it seems as though the batteries are going, but it picks right back up after a second or so. Not really sure what happened because nothing was running hot, maybe just a glitch? Also sometimes when I think the batteries are out, just after a run and the prop is barely spinning, I get the boat back home to recharge and it seems to all of a sudden have more power than when I pulled it out of the water...was it discharged or did I have a problem? Sorry, former nitro guy...I'm so new to this electric stuff!!! ----Rob