PDA

View Full Version : Servicing a BL motor

HappyOne
05-15-2009, 09:05 PM
Seems that there is an issue with an Ammo BL motor I have. It came in a boat that I bought used. When I first tried to use it, the motor would stutter and get really hot. That was only from a few one second bursts. I have taken the motor out of the hull and I have been using some WD40 on the exposed part of the front and rear bearings. I can now get the motor to spin properly but it is still not spinning as quickly as it should and it is getting really hot after spinning for a few seconds at a time.

Are they easy to take apart and re-lube or change the bearings ?

What motor timing should I have the ESC set to on 4s?

Thanks.

chunkymonkey28
05-15-2009, 09:42 PM
Well, I run BL cars, so I can help you a little bit. Depending on your motor they are pretty easy to take apart, as they are very simple on the inside. For example, my Traxxas VXL system has screws that remove the endbell, thus allowing access. Some motors like my Castles and Feigaos don't have screws and so opening them is much more difficult.

Once inside, the design is simple, it's just a one piece rotor and maybe a few washers in most cases. To change the bearings all you need to do is find one that fits and replace. To lube, just apply directly to your bearings.

I hope that helps a little bit

Mike.