PDA

View Full Version : So close!...Help

greatlakestate
05-15-2009, 08:25 PM
I tested out my project 30" Prather Commander w/ 700 motor K&B outboard conversion today and it ran solid. I don't expect to break any speed records, but it is a fun boat...quick to plane, rides smooth turns on a dime

I quickly discovered an issue with the transmitter/ receiver range. Until I upgrade, I am using an old Futaba 2 channel that has worked perfect for me since new in the 90s. It had a frayed antenna wire and I decided to replace it. I took the receiver to an electrical shop and they matched me up with the correct wire. I spliced and soldered it in to the original undamaged portion of the wire about 3" from the hole and used heat shrink to seal. I have about 20" antenna total, maybe 16" exposed in a tube outside of the boat. My range seems to only be in the 10-20' range, after that it cuts out. I experimented on shore, same thing fine at close range, acts jittery and finally cuts out after 20 feet or so. I added about 3" of extra wire and taped it upright with the boat on the garage workbench and it worked flawlessly, I walked outside and was at least 100' away. I tried it with the wire just hanging over the boat and got the same short range issues. I am using a Jeti 600n and have a receiver battery pack. All batteries are brand new, connections clean and tight, and everything has been checked and re-checked.

I am wondering if I did something to affect the range when I replaced the wire? Maybe I should solder directly to the reciever board and replace the entire wire? Heavier gauge?...I'm clueless. I have come so far, hopefully this is an easy fix, but I know almost 4' of wire wipping off my boat won't do!

Thanks for the help ----Rob

bustitup
05-15-2009, 08:56 PM
I'm pretty sure standard length of 27 MHz antenna wire is 24" and its kind of critical that your close to exact because this is how you get the frequency needed

I tested out my project 30" Prather Commander w/ 700 motor K&B outboard conversion today and it ran solid. I don't expect to break any speed records, but it is a fun boat...quick to plane, rides smooth turns on a dime

I quickly discovered an issue with the transmitter/ receiver range. Until I upgrade, I am using an old Futaba 2 channel that has worked perfect for me since new in the 90s. It had a frayed antenna wire and I decided to replace it. I took the receiver to an electrical shop and they matched me up with the correct wire. I spliced and soldered it in to the original undamaged portion of the wire about 3" from the hole and used heat shrink to seal. I have about 20" antenna total, maybe 16" exposed in a tube outside of the boat. My range seems to only be in the 10-20' range, after that it cuts out. I experimented on shore, same thing fine at close range, acts jittery and finally cuts out after 20 feet or so. I added about 3" of extra wire and taped it upright with the boat on the garage workbench and it worked flawlessly, I walked outside and was at least 100' away. I tried it with the wire just hanging over the boat and got the same short range issues. I am using a Jeti 600n and have a receiver battery pack. All batteries are brand new, connections clean and tight, and everything has been checked and re-checked.

I am wondering if I did something to affect the range when I replaced the wire? Maybe I should solder directly to the reciever board and replace the entire wire? Heavier gauge?...I'm clueless. I have come so far, hopefully this is an easy fix, but I know almost 4' of wire wipping off my boat won't do!

Thanks for the help ----Rob

paulwilliams
05-16-2009, 02:11 PM
Have you fitted suppression capacitors and a schottky diode to the 700 motor?

Paul

alvinsmith75
05-16-2009, 02:47 PM
Antenna should be unsoldered from the circuit board in the receiver case and a whole new one attached at the factory length.

crabstick
05-16-2009, 03:23 PM
yep, you should never join or splice the Antenna wire, always solder a new one and i think 24 inch was about right for 27-29mhz if i recall correctly