PDA

View Full Version : Please help ???

bgriffin1970
05-13-2009, 08:18 PM
Okay, this is my first post in this forum, and I'm hoping for some advice on what to do with issues regarding my new ProBoat Forumla FASTech.....

1. Yesterday, I purchased this boat, brand new in box, from Hobbytown USA in Tukwila, WA.

2. The store guys advised me that the current Venom battery packs I use for my Traxxas cars would work in this boat. These are 8.4, 4200mah batteries.

3. Yesterday, I tried running it on a local lake, but the batteries appeared not charged adequately, as when I tried pulling the throttle, the boat would jerk really bad and shut off. I decided to charge the batteries all night and give it a test.

4. So here's what I'm getting............. intermittently, if I start from neutral and pull the thing full-throttle, I often get a start / stop... in other words, the motor turns, but only for about a half second and then stops.

IF I PULL ON THE THROTTLE SLOWLY AND ACCELERATE, I can get up to full throttle when running dry - OUT OF THE WATER.

I found this awkward, because I thought it had a feature that told it to stop if it was not IN the water ?????

5. So today, just moments ago in fact, with both batteries fully charged, I take it to the local lake again and pull off with a slow acceleration; everything seems to be working well, but when I try to open 'er up, try to go full throttle, the same thing happens - it shuts off. I could get it to about 3/4 throttle, but after that, it would just shut off. Sometimes, I could hammer down full throttle and get it to "vroooom," but then shut right down.

After about 15-20 minutes of messing with the thing, the batteries started going down so I brought it to shore. I notice the starting and stopping gets worse as the batteries appear to discharge, but I get no indicator on my controller.

Which I ask... are the battery strength lights on the controller for the transmitter battery strength or the batteries in the boat ???

So - my dilemna is = what do I do? Anyone experienced this issue before?
If so, what recommendations do you have to fix it where I can run wide-open?
Is it an over-voltage issue? Are these 8.4 NiMH batteries too much voltage?

Please help !!! I live a long way away from the Hobbytown I purchased it from, so I need to know if I should just take it back and call this boat a POS, or do you guys have any ideas on how to help me ???

Billy Griffin

domwilson
05-13-2009, 10:02 PM
Hello Billy and welcome to the forum. I think this is a common problem. I don't have a fastech myself but I bet your going to have to purchase the programming card for the ESC and program the voltage cutoff.

bgriffin1970
05-13-2009, 10:32 PM
The ESC smells of burnt electronics !!! Yet it still appears to work - still doing that stop/start thing though.
I wonder if exceeding the two 7.2v by going with two 8.4v batteries over-voltaged the ESC and ruined it?

By doing so, I did so at the direction of the Hobbytown sales persons.

I plan on taking it by Hobbytown tomorrow to either return it, or get them to troubleshoot and fix the darn thing.
All I want is a boat that will run as it is supposed to.

So what's this about programming the ESC voltage? Program it to accept more voltage; or program it to fun on lower voltages ???

domwilson
05-13-2009, 10:45 PM
Actually with the 8.4v packs you are supposed to disconnect the BEC (Red wire) and run a receiver pack. The programming card is an option for the Proboat brushless boats. It allows you more advance programming options for the ESC. One of them being the low voltage cut-off. Unfortunately, it appears to be a neccessity.

bgriffin1970
05-13-2009, 11:30 PM
Is there something I can look up that provides instructions on this ???
A receiver pack, what is that ???

Do you have info or somewhere I can link to for more info?

domwilson
05-13-2009, 11:45 PM
Take a look at this diagram....http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/wiring.php

bgriffin1970
05-16-2009, 01:24 AM
Hobbytown here says it's "not their problem," and they think it's my batteries. Called Horizon today and they thought that perhaps the batteries aren't putting out enough current to keep it going at full throttle under a load (in water.) Otherwise, I'm simply stuck with a screwed up boat.

domwilson
05-16-2009, 01:58 AM
Try getting the program card. Many people on this forum, including myself have had this issue. Look here....http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=3618 http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=4758

This should fix it.

bigcam406
05-17-2009, 11:55 AM
first of all,this is my first post on this site,and ive been a fan of r/c boats for a long time.i have been reading lots of threads about this boat,as im thinking of purchasing it for the summer.i was under the assumption that the when running nihm's,you didnt need to purchase the programming card,as it was only necessary for running lipos.i was thinking of running dual 7 cell maxamps (new 5000mah).am i going to have the same problem as the previous poster,as i havnt heard of any problems from other owners who have run 16.8 nihms.is this just a fluke or common problem that nobody mentions.thx for a great site.

bgriffin1970
05-17-2009, 02:27 PM
I tried using Lipos, did the same thing !!! I'm at a loss.

bigcam406
05-18-2009, 09:13 AM
just wondering if you used the programming module when you tried the lipos.

sn00p
05-18-2009, 10:58 AM
Dude here is a quick easy fix for you.....

Power up your lipos/nimhs whilst holding the throttle WIDE open. the ESC will give a few beeps. When they stop release the trigger. Now try the boat again.

I had this problem along with MANY other people. You need to get hold of a programming card and reset all the settings to the correct settings when you get a chance but in the mean time using the full throttle method will get you up and running. It usually holds for a few good goes but SOMETIMES slips back to the same old cutting out again.

you really shouldnt run lipos without using the prgramming card and setting the cutoff to high. Use the throttle trick until you get the card using ONLY your nimhs or make sure you dont run the lipos down too much.

sn00p
05-18-2009, 11:02 AM
also bear this in mind

http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=6383

bigcam406
05-18-2009, 08:34 PM
you'd think that when they left the factory,they would of checked for these things to see if they're working properly,would save alot of greif and confusion imo

sn00p
05-19-2009, 03:30 AM
Its that damn ESC. VERY touchy..... Even with the programming card you will from time to time have to re-program so just make sure you always keep the programming card handy.

Personally i replaced the stock ESC with a cheap hobbywing seaking 90a esc. This will run 6s NO problem and even has a super bec that can handle the V's so no need to go ripping wires out. So far ive had no problems and have left the ESC in stock form untouched out of the packet and run it on 5s as this is certainly quick enough.

If im honest i would have kept using the stock esc if i hadnt blown the bec on it, as it does have some nice features. In the short time i had it i had to use the throttle trick 3 times before getting my hands on the card and even that was a pain to use and when i finally worked it out yet once again i unfortunately had to re-program a short period later. Other than that this boat really does rock once you get your radio dialled in with some dual rates and maybe messing around with the servo horn.

bigcam406
05-19-2009, 08:39 AM
just wondering if you buy a fastech from offshorelectric,would they go over the boat before shipping it.it would save alot of greif for the consumer,and it would be worth the extra coin if charged for the service.

sn00p
05-22-2009, 06:27 AM
Most unlikely.... Even if they did mine worked fine out of the box and didnt start playing up until after a few runs.... The problem is you cannot tell until the prop is under load so taking out of box and checking i have no doubt it will seem fine.

LiPo Power
05-29-2009, 12:03 AM
...sounds like a LEMON to me. I got mine toogether with programmer right away. So fare works like a charm. Boat is set to NiMh out of the box so you should not have any problems with your batteries if they are in good condition. LiPo is the way to go for sure and ESC must be reprogramm for LiPo. I am not sure why you getting the same problem even when you running lipos. Make sure you programm ESC:
-LiPo
-High cutoff voltage
-cutoff type- slow down
-brake off
-timing high
-throttle curve linear
Plug in, turn power swich ON, wait for beep, disconnect, done!

Arctic Fire
01-07-2010, 07:29 PM
Personally i replaced the stock ESC with a cheap hobbywing seaking 90a esc. This will run 6s NO problem and even has a super bec that can handle the V's so no need to go ripping wires out. So far ive had no problems and have left the ESC in stock form untouched out of the packet and run it on 5s as this is certainly quick enough.

Whoa, what batteries were you running at 6s? (specific configuration) I would love to try this but don't want to buy both a new esc and a new motor (if it melts)

(Just surfing around and found this old post)

sn00p
01-08-2010, 01:23 PM
After a whole summer of testing i can safely say the ESC is superb... i have however over cooked the motor on 6s and stock timing so its advisable to lower the timing to the minimum. Motor still runs no probs but after a full run flat out on 6s it did come back smoking a little and the motor REALLY hot.... therefore i would only run 6s on short bursts and turn the timing right down. As for batteries i used the zippy rhino 4900's not great packs but certainly ok for the money. Again i have managed to cook 1 of the 2s packs running 2s and 3s together as the 2s pack wasnt fully charged :( stupid mistake. so just MAKE sure you have both packs FULLY charged.

Alexgar
01-31-2010, 08:49 PM
i run 6s on a oval master 21 with a oem esc and will kill almost any boat didnt take me long to adopt the bj motoer to a smaller boat 8xl on stock esc is great but overcurrent issuses i say 6s and new esc crazy fast i have about 2 months on stock bl motor and cheap esc nitro guys cant hang