PDA

View Full Version : Atlas setup help

norbique
05-13-2009, 10:13 AM
Hi!

A friend from my local club wants to build the Atlas in about 1/8 - 1/10th scale, roughly 1 - 1.2m in lenght. He asked me for help, and now I'm asking you for help
What motor ESC would you recomend for this big hydro? The batteries will be the big A123's, 3-4S 2P. Please note he has limited budget. Try to stay within $150 for the motor and ESC. I know for this price we're quite limited, but there must be some decent chinese motors and ESCs out there that would siut his needs.
Thanks!

ED66677
05-13-2009, 10:39 AM
you can't move a 1.2m long boat for $150!
also such a big hull will draw many amp under 4S, that's what we put in 30" long range hull?
I have no idea but I guess under 4S you'll pull more than 200A to reach decent speed, you won't get a decent ESC/motor that can handle this for 150$
check this thread (http://forums.offshoreelectrics.com/showthread.php?t=4159), there are real good info!!!

norbique
05-13-2009, 12:51 PM
Thanks for the reply!

I was also thinking that size of the boat is too big for a 3-4S setup.

My friend is not determined to that exact size, he just wants to build something big. Something bigger than what he has built until now, that is around 60cm. He has decied on the Atlas, and we have the plan for it. But before we can begin enlarging the plans I promised him to ask you good people here for some guidance.

He's a precise scratch builder, one of the best in the club, but he's young (17 I think) and we in the club miss all the knowledge you have here in this forum. ;)
I will ask him what is his budget exactly and I'll post it here so you can give us better suggestions.
Thanks!

Fluid
05-13-2009, 06:56 PM
For a model that size, figure about $800-$1000 for the motor, ESC and 10S packs if he chooses to go with a cheap, marginal setup. That size boat will need a minimum of 10S, and 12S might not be out of the ballpark depending on how fast and how long he wants to run. A good reliable setup will cost at least twice that amount. I know that big boats are cool, but he had best choose something he can actually finish without breaking the bank.

His current boat at 60cm is small even for 4S. What type of hull does he like? He can build a good hydro or cat in the 75-85 cm range that will perform well on 4S with a budget motor and ESC. I would strongly recommend that he go this route, rather than build a big boat he will be disappointed with.