PDA

View Full Version : Help programming new ESC - Hextronik HXT120

frdvschvy
05-12-2009, 09:09 PM
I picked up a Hextronik HXT120 ESC to replace the toasted stock ESC in my Blackjack 26. Having a few issues and had some questions regarding programming. My setup is the stock BJ26 motor, HXT120 ESC, and 5S (a 2S pack and a 3S pack in series). I am hoping that somebody here has a little experience with this ESC or similar. Here are my issues and questions...

Issue 1 - Cannot get my computer to recognize the ESC when plugged in with the USB connector. I downloaded the software from Hextronik but when I plug in the USB connector I get an error message that the drivers cannot be found (even though they installed with the software). The ESC is never recognized in the Hextronik software and says "disconnected". I tried installing this on a computer running Vista. Could that be the problem perhaps? Any other suggestions?

Question 1 - What should I set the low voltage cutoff at for this setup? Here are the available settings...

4.8V Cutoff Voltage
5.6 V Cutoff Voltage
6.0 V Cutoff Voltage
7.2 V Cutoff Voltage
8.4 V Cutoff Voltage
9.0 V Cutoff Voltage
11.2 V Cutoff Voltage
12.0 V Cutoff Voltage
14.0V Cutoff Voltage
15.0V Cutoff Voltage
16.8V Cutoff Voltage
18.0V Cutoff Voltage

Question 2 - What should I set the timing at for my setup? Here are the available settings...

4 -10 degrees 12 or more pole motor or outrunner motor
10 - 20 degrees 6 or 8 pole motor
20 - 30 degrees 2 or 4 pole motor

Thanks in advance for any help you guys can provide. I am kind of a noob at this stuff :help:

jingalls007
05-12-2009, 09:51 PM
You don't want to discharge your packs below 3.2v per cell(some say 3.0 volts per cell) so multiply the number of cells 5 X 3.2 to get your low voltage cutoff. for your setup your options would be 15.0 volts at the least, and 16.8 volts. I would rather have more left on the pack then to little so set it at 16.8 volts. is your motor stock?

The blackjack motor is a 6 pole motor so set your timing accordingly, 10-20 degrees.

Now for the first issue, i would contact the support line that came with the ESC, they might be able to help more then i. Good luck man, sounds like fun but make sure your BJ Motor can handle 5s (I don't know much about those motors) im sure it's fine but you may want to double check.

frdvschvy
05-12-2009, 10:13 PM
Thanks for the response on the correct settings. There is no phone number included for support but I did try contacting the support email address listed on their website. Unfortunately the email got kicked back that is is no longer valid so I am shooting in the dark on this one...

crabstick
05-12-2009, 11:29 PM
the USB programmer should work fine, I run Vista Ultimate 64 and mine works no worries, when you run the Hextronic config program you may need to change com port, mine comes up on com 6 but there is a drop down list available.

I have read somewhere that the timing settings arent too good on this esc and to just use low timing, although with a 6 pole motor you may have different results.

im assuming you have power connected to the ESC and the motor plugged into the esc when trying this ?

frdvschvy
05-12-2009, 11:58 PM
the USB programmer should work fine, I run Vista Ultimate 64 and mine works no worries, when you run the Hextronic config program you may need to change com port, mine comes up on com 6 but there is a drop down list available.

I have read somewhere that the timing settings arent too good on this esc and to just use low timing, although with a 6 pole motor you may have different results.

im assuming you have power connected to the ESC and the motor plugged into the esc when trying this ?

Hmmm... I will have to play with it a little more. The only com port that comes up in the drop down window is com 3. It does not give me the option to change to another com port. The light on the USB key turns on when it is inserted but I get a popup window that says drivers not installed for this device. Part of the installation process goes through the driver install so I am stumped as to why it is not working. Computers give me a headache...

crabstick
05-13-2009, 01:24 AM
seems like an odd issue.

Have a look at your list of com ports in device manager, and then plug the usb key in and see if it adds a com port, try also another usb port as a longshot. you are not using a usb hub are you ?

ED66677
05-13-2009, 02:40 AM
you may have a bad USB prog.
mine does almost the same, plug it doesn't work, unplug and plug again and works!!!
are you running WinXP? try reinstalling the software without uninstalling!
just a dumb question, do you use an external batt, like a receiver pack to power the ESC while plugged to the USB prog.? if not, you have to as far as I remember!

crabstick
05-13-2009, 02:46 AM
i use the actual pack im going to run with and hooked up to a motor, that way i can also run the motor on the run tab with the slider bar and check direction and reverse the ESC if needed