PDA

View Full Version : Does a 20S-capable ESC exist?

Marshall
05-11-2009, 06:28 PM
Does an ESC exist which can support 74V (20S)?

I remember reading about the kind of voltage that the Lehner 3060 and 3080 can handle, but never saw an ESC which could take that much voltage--at least rated so from the factory.

EPower
05-11-2009, 06:33 PM

I remember reading about the kind of voltage that the Lehner 3060 and 3080 can handle, but never saw an ESC which could take that much voltage--at least rated so from the factory.

nothing around at the moment but won't be too far away:thumbup1:

tth
05-11-2009, 06:37 PM
The highest voltage ESC I can think of is a Jazz 63v. Not sure on the quality.

Marshall
05-11-2009, 06:59 PM
nothing around at the moment but won't be too far away:thumbup1:

Do you know something that we don't? :confused2:

Boatman
05-11-2009, 07:03 PM

Something you know about that we dont??? :tongue_smilie: What could you be building with that stack of dynamite? Come to think of it I dont think there is a motor that could handle that. :confused1:

Marshall
05-11-2009, 07:18 PM
Lehner told me that their 30 series motors can handle it without a problem.

The idea just sounds interesting. With two 10S packs, why not try them in series for a thrill? :rockon2:

They said motors are safe to 50KRPM. So something like a 3060/12 gets 43,000RPM at 74V no load, predicted. You could run it in series, or drop back to 37V and still have a very fast motor.

bustitup
05-11-2009, 07:21 PM
The highest voltage ESC I can think of is a Jazz 63v. Not sure on the quality.

yup Ray Fuller has two of them brand new for $300 each..they go for about $450

bustitup
05-11-2009, 07:22 PM
anyone know the voltage for a 100amp 12s sentilion by turnagy?

AntronX
05-11-2009, 07:48 PM

YES! Castle Creations has controllers that go up to 90V and 200A that will give you 18 KW !!! http://www.castlespecialprojects.com/csp_90_volts.html If you are not careful though, you can be killed if you grab wrong wires with wet hands. From purely safety stand point, I would not go above 50V DC. Shulze now has 12S controllers that go up to 300A, that's 13 KW at 44V DC - much much safer, in my opinion (I never messed around with DC voltages above 37V DC in my boats, but I am pretty literate in electricity).

EPower
05-11-2009, 08:38 PM
YES! Castle Creations has controllers that go up to 90V and 200A that will give you 18 KW !!! http://www.castlespecialprojects.com/csp_90_volts.html If you are not careful though, you can be killed if you grab wrong wires with wet hands. From purely safety stand point, I would not go above 50V DC. Shulze now has 12S controllers that go up to 300A, that's 13 KW at 44V DC - much much safer, in my opinion (I never messed around with DC voltages above 37V DC in my boats, but I am pretty literate in electricity).

The Schulze fut-40.160WK can handle 3-14 Lipos (51.8 Volts) max :thumbup::beerchug:

Marshall
05-11-2009, 09:22 PM

I agree, slapping your wet hand across a set of 74V leads could ruin your day! :eek:

I suppose that a breaker could always be used when disconnecting. Along with appropriate caution when handling the boat.

By the way, I'm not claiming that I'm going to run 20S, either. The thought of trying it sounded amazing though, and I couldn't help but wonder if the ESC existed to make it possible. I would love to see somebody else go first. :tiphat: I'm not sure exactly what a good driveline can handle, but my guess is that a 1/4" shaft could be snapped by that much motor HP.

EPower
05-11-2009, 09:43 PM
I agree, slapping your wet hand across a set of 74V leads could ruin your day! :eek:

I suppose that a breaker could always be used when disconnecting. Along with appropriate caution when handling the boat.

By the way, I'm not claiming that I'm going to run 20S, either. The thought of trying it sounded amazing though, and I couldn't help but wonder if the ESC existed to make it possible. I would love to see somebody else go first. :tiphat: I'm not sure exactly what a good driveline can handle, but my guess is that a 1/4" shaft could be snapped by that much motor HP.

Yeah you could break a 1/4 cable i guess don't forget you also run much smaller props when you run high RPM Fe motors :beerchug:
Adrian

Marshall
05-13-2009, 05:37 PM
That's a no-go on the Castle ESCs. Apparently, those are nothing more than "vaporware".

I sent them an email asking about the ones shown, and if they had planned to release a liquid cooled version. I personally have no idea what sort of vehicle can use a 90V 200A controller besides a marine application, and what method is there to cool inside of a boat besides liquid? Doesn't sound very sensible if you ask me.

Here is the response I received about those specialty controllers:

"The controllers shown on the site were prototypes. There were problems with them. There are new ones coming, they may or may not look like what is on the web. I can't define or describe them to you as they simply don't exist and cannot be tested at this point.

We have not seen a large demand for water cooled controllers of this size."