PDA

View Full Version : Stinger installation in mono

DISAR
05-10-2009, 05:54 PM
I bought this stinger to fit in a mono (speedmaster is out of stock)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&item=290298763606
I used struts in my boats and this is my first stinger.
I have 3/16"prop.shaft, 0.187 flex and 1/4" stuffing tube and running without teflon. My question is that on the forward side (hull side) of the stinger there is a hole of about 9mm or 11/32" diameter and my stuffing tube is 1/4" diameter so how do I fit it correctly to fill that gap? Shall I add three more tubes 9/32",5/16" & 11/32" around the 1/4" stuffing tube, or fill the gap with epoxy or silicon? Or do not fill the gap?
The speedmaster has same diameter hole?

DISAR
05-11-2009, 03:24 AM
Here is a photo of what I mean, Anybody?

crabstick
05-11-2009, 03:46 AM
I have done it before with k&s brass, I stepped it down soldering each tube together, then leave the bearing cartridge free so it can spin and you can get it out if need be.

ozzie-crawl
05-11-2009, 03:51 AM
i could be wrong but i thought that bit of clearance was so if you adjust the stinger angle it gives some room for the flex so it doesnt create a sharp bend

DISAR
05-11-2009, 04:05 AM
I agree, the brass tube which I hold in the photo is my stuffing tube and is fixed. I also think that some clearance is required to adjust the angle but... Which way is better, when adjusting the angle.The stuffing tube to stay in same position which means that the flex will change angle relative to the stuffing tube or the stuffing tube also to change angle?
This is my first stinger and want to fit it right in first place.

ozzie-crawl
05-11-2009, 04:35 AM
i would bring the stuffer tube about 1/4" out. was going to say then let the liner go the rest of the way but i see your not going to run a liner.

DISAR
05-11-2009, 04:56 AM
Yes, no liner. Maybe bring the stuffing tube 1/4" out and let alone the flex in the stinger but when changing angle the flex will change angle relative to stuffing tube which will be fixed.
Or better to solder a piece of 9/32" tube at the end of the stuffing tube in order not to have sharp edge contact.

ozzie-crawl
05-11-2009, 05:05 AM
what mono is it going in disar, on my monos if i angle the stinger it is only 1-2deg so a very small bend at most.so i dont think it would cause problems but i do run a line. maybe you could flare the end of the stuffer tube slightly so it doesnt have a sharp edge

DISAR
05-11-2009, 05:50 AM
It will be in a Delta Force 36". Yes only small adjustments (if any) will be done so I also think that there will be no problem. Many thanks for your support and thoughts.

ozzie-crawl
05-11-2009, 05:55 AM
so you have been keeping this a secret :spy: were is the pictures
i have a df33 and a df26(26 is a copy) both have only very slight angle no more than 1 deg

DISAR
05-11-2009, 06:30 AM
Mine is a copy as well. I will post some photos when I build it but want to set up the Sprintcat first. No secrets from me.
Here is a sketch with two ways (no teflon in both)

a) Stuffing tube fixed on the transom and extending 1/4" and a piece of 9/32" soldered at the end. When adjusting the angle only the flex bends a little. Can fill the gap between stinger and stuffing tube with silicone.

b) An extra tube is fitted in the hull and the stuffing tube is glued in it close to the motor. The extra tube is also glued in the transom. The stuffing tube extends as much as possible into the stinger and the gap is closed with additional next size tubes. When adjusting the angle the stuffing tube bends a little.

Both ways should work.