PDA

View Full Version : Dual line cooling

Marshall
05-10-2009, 05:00 PM
What is the proper way to achieve the highest amount of water cooling for a motor?

Would it be to run a dual-pickup rudder, with both of the lines on a Y into the water jacket, with 1 output?

Thanks

Blackjack-sven
05-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Do you mean 2 pickups into 1 input to the motor?
I would use two pickups, two separate lines going to 2 inputs with 2 outs, and then combine the output lines together to a high flow exit. This would require a mod to the cooling jacket, but I don't think it would be too hard.

Marshall
05-10-2009, 07:10 PM
Do you mean 2 pickups into 1 input to the motor?
I would use two pickups, two separate lines going to 2 inputs with 2 outs, and then combine the output lines together to a high flow exit. This would require a mod to the cooling jacket, but I don't think it would be too hard.

Yes 2 to 1 on the inlet side.

And that was sort of what I was contemplating. I'm not sure if one line at higher pressure would be worse than 2 lines at lower pressure or not.

z400
05-10-2009, 07:16 PM
ESC not water cooled?

If i were you and i had 2 pick ups, i would run 1 cooling line from 1 pick up to the motor and another cooling line from the 2nd pickup to the esc.

run them to a large outlet.

Motor would have fresh water which wasnt just ran through the esc or vise versa.

Blackjack-sven
05-10-2009, 08:33 PM
I'm not sure if one line at higher pressure would be worse than 2 lines at lower pressure or not.

It doesn't really matter that much in regards to cooling as a fast thin stream will heat up quicker but exit faster. A large amount in will take longer to get pushed out but also take longer to heat up. I would think more of the drag on the inlet as a small inlet will produce more pressure causing more drag as it requires more pressure to move. Unsure if any of this is really pertinent but that's my take on it.

After reading all that, the simple way I would do it, is to run 2 large inlets and outlets to the motor for least amount of drag and most amount of cooling. Just keep in mind that the inlet and outlet need to be the same diameter, because if you shrink one or the other, your pressure will get all screwed up and it will become pointless doing the mod.

Is your ESC not cooled? If it is, I'd run a third inlet/outlet to cool that as well. A mod that I originally did to my Blackjack was to add three rudders to the boat so I could utilize the inlets and run a line to the ESC, Motor, and motor mount. Here's a pic of the back end.

Marshall
05-10-2009, 09:03 PM
It doesn't really matter that much in regards to cooling as a fast thin stream will heat up quicker but exit faster. A large amount in will take longer to get pushed out but also take longer to heat up. I would think more of the drag on the inlet as a small inlet will produce more pressure causing more drag as it requires more pressure to move. Unsure if any of this is really pertinent but that's my take on it.

I do know that where the pressure is higher, thermal conduction is also increased in that area. So the point of most resistance typically experiences the greatest effect. But to quantify any of this and make a valid comparison between series and parallel cooling is beyond me. I guess the main thing which can happen when the cooling is run in series is to distribute the cooling more evenly. If one thing is not using the amount of cooling available to it, it's averaged into the temperature of the volume being shared. Could work both ways, though. To advantage, or disadvantage.

Anyways, in your scenario where you used three rudders, why not a double pickup on one rudder, and then a third pickup on the hull? Are rudder pickups more effective than the hull bottom type?

My ESC will definitely be liquid cooled. My main worry was the heat generated by a large motor with a lot of voltage.

Thanks

Oh, by the way, I like the water cooled motor mount. Who makes it, and have you see one with a 45mm hole pattern?

Rumdog
05-10-2009, 09:46 PM
geeeeeezzzzz!! how many rudders are on that thing? seems like a little bit of overkill man.

Blackjack-sven
05-10-2009, 09:59 PM
Oh, by the way, I like the water cooled motor mount. Who makes it, and have you see one with a 45mm hole pattern?

I actually got it from O.S.E. but I think the mount can only be purchased for 25mm hole mounts. How big of a motor are you using to have 45mm motor mounts? And whats it going into?
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=tfl-509b14

Are rudder pickups more effective than the hull bottom type?

I'm guessing they are more effective as the pickups under the hull that are flush are also not in direct contact with the water.

z400
05-10-2009, 10:30 PM
Wow...

Steerable outdrive AND 2 rudders.
WAY to much for a little blackjack.

Was wondering what was up with the 2 servos and then i did some reading.
Went back and looked at the photos.. Wholly rudders!

Some how fitting 2 26cc gas motors in there or something?

crabstick
05-10-2009, 10:54 PM
Wow...

Steerable outdrive AND 2 rudders.
WAY to much for a little blackjack.

:banana: thats what I was thinking LOL

So you added another two rudders just for the water pickups thats LOL Have you heard of k&s brass tube ?

on a side note, id loose the steerable outdrive and go for a strut and rudder. your BJ will love you for it.

The other thing to consider with water cooling is if the flow is too high the water will not stay in the jacket/cooling plate long enough for heat transfer to take place and even though you have a stream of water out the side it may not be doing a lot

I run a water pickup rudder that feeds to my ESC, and I run a bit of k&s brass tube in the prop wash to feed the motor, have run this setup on a couple of boats and if you put the pickup in the right place it also stops the stub shaft coming out and loosing your prop if the flex cable goes west.

Marshall
05-10-2009, 11:58 PM
Does anyone make a triple water pickup on a single rudder?

z400
05-11-2009, 12:04 AM
Does anyone make a triple water pickup on a single rudder?

LMAO!!!!

:sorry:

z400
05-11-2009, 12:10 AM
Why do you need all of this water?
Do you have some sort of heat issue?
If you do then adding extra water cooling is not the answer.
You need to either prop down or buy better gear.

Marshall
05-11-2009, 12:34 AM
Why do you need all of this water?
Do you have some sort of heat issue?
If you do then adding extra water cooling is not the answer.
You need to either prop down or buy better gear.

Well, if they make a single and double pickup on a rudder, logically thinking there could then be the possibility of a triple pickup as well. Some of you are talking about using triple pickups on a boat.

It just seems odd to me that when you increase a motor size to 3 or 4 times the output level of something smaller, it still would require the same amount of water flow of a small motor. If heat and power scales up, why wouldn't the cooling needed also scale up?

The motor is a Lehner 3060 with 10S packs. I am just trying to keep the thing cool because it is such an expensive motor. I want to do my research beforehand and I am just probing solutions.

z400
05-11-2009, 12:39 AM
From what ive seen, the more water pick ups on the rudder, the bigger the rudder.

Why?

Most of those multiple water pick up rudders are ran on the giant gas boats and what not.

I suggest running 2 of these on either side of the transom

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-aqub9520

And either tie everything into 1 large outlet or 2 small outlets.

Marshall
05-11-2009, 12:45 AM
From what ive seen, the more water pick ups on the rudder, the bigger the rudder.

Why?

Most of those multiple water pick up rudders are ran on the giant gas boats and what not.

I suggest running 2 of these on either side of the transom

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=dh-aqub9520

And either tie everything into 1 large outlet or 2 small outlets.

OK, thanks.

crabstick
05-11-2009, 03:02 AM
Marshal - I think the answer to your question about the same size cooling lines for a large or small motor is that the boats with the larger motors also have a larger cooling jacket and esc cooling plates which completes the heat transfer just as well as the small setup as there is more surface area and volume..

Blackjack-sven
05-11-2009, 07:47 AM
Some how fitting 2 26cc gas motors in there or something?

Now you gave me an idea :rockon2: I'll just rip out the motor from my 55 and ram it in the 26. :rofl:

crabstick
05-11-2009, 03:36 PM
Now you gave me an idea :rockon2: I'll just rip out the motor from my 55 and ram it in the 26. :rofl:

i think you would be better off with 5 rudders:rofl:... the prop torque from the big gas prop would flip the poor little bj