PDA

View Full Version : HobbyKing Support

Steven Vaccaro
05-07-2009, 10:42 PM
I was interested in a HobbyKing product, after emailing them a question about how many poles a motor was, I recieved this answer.
"We are sorry but we have not been trained for technical support/recommendations.
Therefore, if you have any technical questions/support, you can send a question in our forum:
You will get a better and appropriate answer/s there.

Please feel free to contact me if you have any queries, thanks.
Have a nice day

Best Regards,
Ivy
Customer Support
HobbyKing.com"
I guess cheap prices come at a cost.

detox
05-07-2009, 10:49 PM
Atleast they were honest.

Steven Vaccaro
05-07-2009, 11:31 PM
Your right. I guess I was asking to much.

ozzie-crawl
05-07-2009, 11:35 PM
why do they have customer support if they they dont know anything.
you shouldnt have to ask there other customers for infomation that they should have.not like your asking a million dollar question

tth
05-07-2009, 11:37 PM
Amazing to see a business running like this with the not so technical support.

tisk tisk tisk

Steven Vaccaro
05-08-2009, 12:01 AM
you shouldnt have to ask there other customers for infomation that they should have.not like your asking a million dollar question

I forward customers to the forum all the time for setup info. I find it impossible to know everything and will never probably know half of what some of the guys know here, but I felt I wasn't asking how to setup a 35" boat with what motor and what esc. I was asking a simple question about their product. At least humour me and say that they will look into it.

Ub Hauled
05-08-2009, 12:06 AM

Customer Support and Technical support are two different things,
Customer Support will deal with orders, order status and returns... or anything in the seller/buyer communication realm.
Technical support is more in the area of "why is my ESC is not arming with 8s?" kinda deal... since they are not the manufacture, just the store, they should not (or cannot) give their opinion on a certain product... it's not like Aquacraft, where it is their product so they have to cover the Technical issues.
For instance I bought my MX-3 FHHS at Hobby People and it is was giving me grief, so I took it back and told them my problem, immediately they gave me a Fix by Manufacturer paperwork and sent it to them, they did not fix anything.
Does it make sense?

ozzie-crawl
05-08-2009, 12:17 AM
i dont expect you can walk in to a hobby shop and ask if i have xxx hull with xxx motor what prop should i use because unless they have run that setup they wouldnt know.
but all steven was asking was how many poles, i think that is a rather basic question that should already be provided.

Meniscus
05-08-2009, 12:28 AM
Well, I don't speak the language (over in the Orient). The least they could do is ask their supplier/manufacturer source, even if they can't provide an answer.

LOL!

Ub Hauled
05-08-2009, 02:46 AM
Ben I think they will...
Scott, I understand your point, but they are probably just regular people w/ no knowledge of electronics... or it could be that particular individual that was clueless... but regardless they don't need to know that info for what they do, call it shortsighted or weird... I think it's understandable, if it was the Tech department, I'd have a problem.

ozzie-crawl
05-08-2009, 03:00 AM
well maybe because i buy 90% of my gear from o.s.e i have been a bit spoilt :rofl:

Ub Hauled
05-08-2009, 03:04 AM
well maybe because i buy 90% of my gear from o.s.e i have been a bit spoilt :rofl:

:thumbup:

Steven Vaccaro
05-08-2009, 07:17 AM
Ben I think they will...
Scott, I understand your point, but they are probably just regular people w/ no knowledge of electronics... or it could be that particular individual that was clueless... but regardless they don't need to know that info for what they do, call it shortsighted or weird... I think it's understandable, if it was the Tech department, I'd have a problem.

Could be a language problem. I'll give them the benefit of the doubt.

I see what you saying about customer support and tech support. I couldn't find an email address for tech support. Does anyone out there have one?

I was wondering how some of those $25 motors run. I've have some leads on different looking 36mm motors that were cheaper than the feigaos, but the samples didnt test well.

Steven Vaccaro
05-08-2009, 07:21 AM

I thank you guys for that. They do have prices that just can't be matched. I understand that and deal with it. It may be time to fly to a Asian Hobby Shows and deal direct with some of these companies.

sjslhill
05-08-2009, 07:39 AM
Sounds like a Tower Hobby answer. Tower is why I started messing with batteries 18 years ago, they never knew anything about cells.

Eodman
05-08-2009, 09:03 AM
You guys - I really love Steven's site and his service even more ..... that said I wish you guys would calm down about his service! Next thing you know he would be able to get in the door of his shop - what with a swelled head and all!:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Jeff Wohlt
05-08-2009, 10:04 AM
I think the price pretty much says it all. You do not pay for them to have support like that. I never expected they could anwer any questions. They are warehouse dealers with a big a$$ website. Of course, I do not ask Walmart employees questions either or I usually get this dumb look.

Now that they are starting to warehouse stuff here it could get pretty tough to compete. When you add the S&H you come pretty close to what you can get stuff from here for. Just wish more was American made no matter who you buy it from.

I got some sales info from Medusa and did not ask for it. Pretty sure they are trying to give NEU a run for his money in the very near future. There are no secrets to a good motor...all about design and quality components. At $85-$120 a motor it could be an option soon. Nobody likes putting their motors to test on boats as it is the hardest test ever and their is no straight answer such as a heli with X gear ratio, trucks, etc.

I just can't afford the battery option Castle and NEU put on their sites to say it has to have this mah, etc.

I still have cells from Steve Hill that seem to run as good as the day I bought them. I only use them for the kids' boats but how much harder can you test them:) I look back and hear, dad...my boat is slow...crap man...when you notice it slowing down! Not when it is almost not moving!!

Meniscus
05-08-2009, 10:12 AM
Steven,

Have you considered the X-power motors? It seems hardly anyone sells these in the U.S. I know you have one of their ESC's. Hopefully you have a direct supply line for them and can still afford shipping to you while still meeting margins.

Just a thought.

video200
05-08-2009, 11:18 AM
I was wondering how some of those $25 motors run. I've have some leads on different looking 36mm motors that were cheaper than the feigaos, but the samples didnt test well.

cant say for the $25 motors but i have tested a few of this ones http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6678&Product_Name=KD36-74-09XL_1900kv_Brushless_Inrunner
and they are great motors for a few hours then the bearings are busted and if they get wet they tend to get stuck after a wile indoors and needs to be forsed to work propparly again.

Jeff Wohlt
05-08-2009, 11:34 AM
Bearings are the first thing to replace on them.... Probably before it even runs!When a bearing goes it can cock the arm and start rubbing the windings...a buddy had that issue on one as well. After that he had no problems when new boca bearings were installed.

Steven Vaccaro
05-08-2009, 11:43 AM
Steven,

Have you considered the X-power motors? It seems hardly anyone sells these in the U.S. I know you have one of their ESC's. Hopefully you have a direct supply line for them and can still afford shipping to you while still meeting margins.

Just a thought.

They are really not X-power, they are made by another company, which the motors are hit and miss on quality.

Flying Scotsman
05-08-2009, 12:02 PM
I thank you guys for that. They do have prices that just can't be matched. I understand that and deal with it. It may be time to fly to a Asian Hobby Shows and deal direct with some of these companies.

Steven, that may well be a smart move, as all foreign manufacturers have a problem with distribution, sales and service in North America, if they try to perform these functions from their home base.

Douggie

jingalls007
05-08-2009, 12:24 PM
Steve have you looked into the Medusa motors? http://www.medusaproducts.com/motors/036-V2.htm#MR036080XXXX-5

these are new to me but the heli/jet guys and a few boat guys swear by them. I've done some research but don't know if these would be of any interest to you.

Ub Hauled
05-08-2009, 12:30 PM
Hey Jin, the seem like nice motors, keep in mind that the Heli and Jet guys have gret cooling, that way they can abuse the motor a bit more... boaters have to cope with closed quarters, more heat thus less performance and on top of that, we pull more amps too.

jingalls007
05-08-2009, 12:45 PM
I may try one out in my UL-1, duc turned me on to these motors. 36-060-2200kv???

DINO7
05-08-2009, 04:49 PM
I have a 36-50-2200kv in my cat and at 4S it screams.max temp after 10 min and a K45 prop ,about 45 celcius.medusa motors are excellent for me.:bowdown::bowdown:

Ub Hauled
05-08-2009, 04:52 PM
these are good temps Dino... so so Americans know, it it 113F.
What cat do you have, how heavy RTR and fast does it go with that prop?

jingalls007
05-08-2009, 05:01 PM
I have a 36-50-2200kv in my cat and at 4S it screams.max temp after 10 min and a K45 prop ,about 45 celcius.medusa motors are excellent for me.:bowdown::bowdown:

That's great news! I think ill start a thread on them to see what poeple are running them in.

Meniscus
05-09-2009, 07:55 AM
They are really not X-power, they are made by another company, which the motors are hit and miss on quality.

Glad to see you have made that evaluation for us, its a shame the result wasn't better. Could you PM me who really makes the motors out of curiosity? Thanks

Blackjack-sven
05-09-2009, 09:51 AM

:iagree: The support and service is great. My LHS is fairly close by, but the fact that I can get answers here, and the products from O.S.E. shipped to my door. I can shop and build my stuff NAKED. :banana:

egneg
05-09-2009, 10:25 AM
:iagree: The support and service is great. My LHS is fairly close by, but the fact that I can get answers here, and the products from O.S.E. shipped to my door. I can shop and build my stuff NAKED. :banana:

:eek:

Jeff Wohlt
05-09-2009, 10:43 AM
Just watch how high your bench is when dry running it our you could end up singing for the boys Choir!!

Blackjack-sven
05-09-2009, 10:52 AM
Just watch how high your bench is when dry running it our you could end up singing for the boys Choir!!

gotta watch the soldering to :LOL: