PDA

View Full Version : villian questions

greenblast
05-06-2009, 09:46 PM
i have a villian with 2 7.2v motors . i got a hpi gt esc which i now know is 14.4v. do any of you guys know if can i put 7.2v and run both motors, or do i run 14.4 and run motors in series?or third should i run 550s .the 540s in the boat are new and installed so i would like to run them. if i have to change esc and someone needs this one i am open to offers.thanks in advance greenblast.

z400
05-06-2009, 11:40 PM
Yes, 2 7.2v batteries and 2 motors.

Is this what you have?

http://www.hpiracing.com/graphics/parts/309/309_01p.jpg

If so, then i see two positives and two negatives for two motors.
Hook them up just like that.
One positive and one negative to one motor.
The other positive and negative to the other motor.

I also see two separate battery leads.
Each battery gets a positive and a negative.

Also, keep your eye on temps.
If your not going to run a watercooling set up with that esc, i highly recommend you add a fan or two.

If you want to watercool it, simply find some brass tube that will fit in between the cooling fins on that esc.
Dont need a tube in every slot but i would atleast put 4 possibly 5 tubes on that cooling plate.

greenblast
05-07-2009, 09:14 PM
sean thanks for the reply. i got this esc on a ebay score.my thoughts were if i put 2 7.2 v batts i will put 14.4 to 2 motors so .i was thinking if iput 7.2 to both batts leads red to red black to black to it would be 7.2 to both motros. or if i put 2 6 cell packs to esc and hooked up motor in seris it would be 14.4 to 2 motors in series. 7.2 each i could hook up waterco0oling and fan if needed.

z400
05-07-2009, 09:20 PM
Yep, post is a little confusing but i got through it.

Just hook it up as it is for the best results.
Its basically just like the ESC that come sin the newer villians from what i can see.
Just not watercooled.

NorthernBoater
05-07-2009, 09:58 PM
Is there a reason you are changing ESCs? The HPI does not seem any better than the stock one if you are using the stock motors.

Blackjack-sven
05-07-2009, 11:13 PM
Sounds like the most probable thing here is that the ESC is coupling the batteries in series and sending out the 14.4v to both motors at the same time to increase the speed. If this is the case there is no way to reduce the voltage going through the ESC without soldering, and doing anything to the motors won't help much either as the ESC will spit out 14.4v at all times, so placing the motors in series or parallel won't do anything either, as both motors will always get 14.4v

greenblast
05-08-2009, 08:01 AM
the stock esc smells a little funny! lol. if i put 14.4v to the motors in series wouldnt they see 7.2 v each? or if i put 7.2 into the speed control with motors in parrell would they both get 7.2v?i have this esc and the villian with 2 new 17turn motors.

Blackjack-sven
05-08-2009, 09:09 AM
the stock esc smells a little funny! lol. if i put 14.4v to the motors in series wouldnt they see 7.2 v each? or if i put 7.2 into the speed control with motors in parrell would they both get 7.2v?i have this esc and the villian with 2 new 17turn motors.

In a series circuit , the current through each of the components is the same, and the voltage across the components is the sum of the voltages across all the components. In a parallel circuit, the voltage across each of the components is the same, and the total current is the sum of the currents through all the components.

As an example, consider a very simple circuit consisting of four light bulbs and one 6 V battery. If a wire joins the battery to one bulb, to the next bulb, to the next bulb, to the next bulb, then back to the battery, in one continuous loop, the bulbs are said to be in series. If each bulb is wired to the battery in a separate loop, the bulbs are said to be in parallel. If the four light bulbs are connected in series, the same current flows through all of them, and the voltage drop is 1.5 V across each bulb.

Source: Wikipedia

With that said, I am wrong. In series you will see 7.2v across each motor and in parallel you would see 14.4v on each motor. So it would seem that the ESC is wired in a way to pull in 14.4v but dump 7.2v into each motor considering there are seperate connectors for both motors. So if you only used one battery to run the ESC/Motors you would end up running them with only 3.6v and the BEC would probably run low as well.
All in all run the ESC as intended as any other way will either ruin the esc/motors, or run very slow.

greenblast
05-08-2009, 11:35 PM
thanks for the detailed response. blackjack. i think the esc is intended to put out 14.4 to each motor.iwill do some testing with a volt meter.the glutten in me will probably hook it up and burn something up.i just cant help myself.

Blackjack-sven
05-08-2009, 11:41 PM
if you think your gonna blow up the esc, run the boat without the hatch (if you think you won't flip). I blew up my esc in my BJ 26bl and now have to deal with the smell of a burnt ESC all the time as the entire hull is now coated with ESC fumes, and what I think is goo.