PDA

View Full Version : Why so few FE races in the Midwest?

LuckyDuc
05-05-2009, 11:08 PM
I’m new to R/C boating and the UL-1 has gotten me hooked. Being an experienced electric Heli and EDF jet pilot I thought RC boats were boring. The UL-1 has definitely changed my opinion on that.:thumbup:

As such, I joined both NAMBA and IMPBA hoping to race this season. I also joined 2 R/C boat clubs in my area hoping to jump into fast electric racing via the club circuit.

The club furthest from me (2hrs) is a NAMBA club and is a Fast Electric club. The other club, is an IMPBA club, and is 1 hour from my home. The IMPBA club is mostly nitros with a few gassers mixed in. I’m hoping to convince of few of their members into getting a UL-1 so we have enough to make a class for racing.

I checked both NAMBA and IMPBA’s website for upcoming races in District 4 and was disappointed to find very few Fast Electric races on the schedule in my district, and the few that were listed were 7+ hours from me:(

What gives? There are a ton of nitro/gas races on the schedule, but no FE classes listed. Needless to say I’m bummed. :frusty:

CircusCircus
05-06-2009, 08:27 AM
Nitro still rules in some clubs, I started racing a few years ago and we ran all nitro stuff, but there was a couple guys running SV27 motors in there boats. We let them run with us.

I was and still am a big fan of NITRO, but our local club has had to step-up this year and add a UL-1 class :thumbup: It just takes one person like yourself to show-up with your UL-1 and next thing you know someone else in the club has one.

Keep searching, there are alot of clubs that race that dont make you join NAMBA or IMPBA.

AndyKunz
05-06-2009, 12:57 PM
Unfortunately your District Director died a few months ago, and no replacement has been named. Your best bet is to start by going to the Doug Robichaud Memorial event in Mazomanie June 6 and meeting the many racers who will be there. Hopefully I'll be among them.

Doug Peterson (dpeterson on this forum) is going to be your best bet. Rex is another one.

Andy

LuckyDuc
05-06-2009, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

I have contacted Doug Peterson and I am meeting him this Saturday.

Hope to see some of you in June. I might be at the Schaumburg race on May 17th too. Hopefully there will be enough FE's for a class.:unsure:

Chilli
05-06-2009, 01:36 PM
I'm having the same problem in IMPBA district 12. I figure someone has to be the first so I joined IMPBA and my local club. My son and I are the only FE'ers in the club. I find the Nitro guys in my club are curious and I do usually end up with a small group around my boats asking questions. A few fly electric planes. So I'll run novice class for a year or two and see if I can't get something going. If not, I'll just build a FE Open offshore boat. :bounce:

Doby
05-06-2009, 01:39 PM
Run mixed races. Thats what we do up here sometimes.

LuckyDuc
05-06-2009, 05:12 PM
I hope that they are as open to mixed racing here in Dist 4 as they are in your neck of the woods. I just want to run some heat races. I don't care if it is against nitros, gas, or steam:biggrin:

Chilli
05-06-2009, 06:51 PM
My club said no problem running P-mono with the b-mono guys when we host a district race. I don't know about the other clubs though. One thing is for sure, I want to make sure I have my "stuff" together when I race the B-mono guys. First impressions are important and I dont want them to think FE boaters are a bunch of clowns!

Rex R
05-06-2009, 07:15 PM
by village ordanance lake marion is electric only(people power allowed...dunno about steam)

Grimracer
05-07-2009, 09:13 AM
Lucky,

IMPBA Dist 4 (the dist im in as well) is a very regimented district. Allot of that has to do with IMPBA 4 history. Part of 1/8 scale history for IMPBA comes from Dist 4.

It might take some work but lets not give up.. If we get enough P spec hydro’s showing up you never know.

Just so you know I have been active in IMPBA dist 4 for around 15 years.

As for mixing.. not sure they would do that.. I mean to me it’s a “why not” but again our district is deep in history and the guys that play toy boats in our district have a real romance for nitro motors, myself included!

Im not sure but my first race in the dist might be the badgers on the 7th. Reason I say “might” is that is a bad weekend for me has I have other priorities and traveling that far for a one day race might not happen this year. We will see.

Never the less, If I can make it I will bring my P sport.

Grimracer

LuckyDuc
05-07-2009, 10:12 AM
I met quite a few of the Badger Boat Club members last Saturday. Nice guys. They seemed open minded about electrics... so I signed up for a club membership with them too. In fact, two of them were very interested in my UL-1 and about Lipo technology. Hopefully a few of them will take interest and buy a fast electric to race with in P sport. Fingers crossed. :wink:

It seems to me that any thing that brings more people into the boating hobby is a good thing for the sport as a whole, and should be embraced. Hopefully some of the die hard nitro/gasser guys see it that way too, and help to nurture fast electric as well.

I hope to see you there on the 7th. Make sure to bring your P sport hydro, and a few other P sport/drivers too so we have enough to race.:w00t:

LuckyDuc
05-14-2009, 03:33 PM
Question about IMPBA for P sport hydro... Can I run 3 x 4S 2200mAh lipos in parallel for a total of 6600mAh 4s?

jcald2000
05-15-2009, 06:35 AM
Be careful of using smaller than say 5000 ma cells, the smaller the cell the higher the Resistance in the cell.

andym
05-15-2009, 07:09 AM
Down under you can race a 4s boat 1p not over 150gm per cell against 3.5cc boats. Not realy fair as FE floggs em more often than not!

LuckyDuc
06-07-2009, 08:26 PM
I ran my UL-1 in my first sanctioned IMPBA race today. There were no other FE sport hydros there, so they let me run in the Sport 20 class against the nitro guys. :beerchug:

In the first heat I was in 2nd place gaining on the leader when on my final lap I had a blow over and did not finish.:glare:

I moved my batteries forward a bit for the second heat... I was running 2nd again and had another blow over on the 3rd lap when I crossed another boats wake.:cursing:

For the 3rd heat I lowered my strut to 1" and added 3oz of lead weight to the front and got 1st place.:rockon2:

Capt. Crash
06-08-2009, 08:15 AM
Alright....way to go dude!:rockon2:

I'm finding 1" is my magic number for all props tried so far.

Drag Boat Bob
06-08-2009, 10:06 AM
Way to go Duc! :rockon2:

Congratulations on the win.

I wonder what the nitro guys are saying on their site?

LuckyDuc
06-08-2009, 10:11 AM
Thanks Capt!

Not finishing a heat really stinks.:cursing:

The difference between race water and my "normal" water conditions is quite a bit. I really had to prop down and plant the boat for heat racing.:ohmy:

LuckyDuc
06-08-2009, 10:30 AM
Way to go Duc! :rockon2:

Congratulations on the win.

I wonder what the nitro guys are saying on their site?

The guys in my club/district are pretty "old school" so they probably aren't saying much on the forums. While I think that they were impressed by my FE, they aren't that convinced, as I didn't place well overall because of the 2 DNF's in my first two heats. But, they were very helpful from a coaching stand point and a boat setup point of view. In fact, one of the staunch nitro advocates in my club volunteered to be my pit man. He was very helpful and is a little more open to the idea of FE and nitros running together.
This was my first heat race ever, so I learned a lot and I think my driving skills have improved greatly because of it.
I imagine that if I start placing well overall they probably won't want me running in the nitro sport 20 class anymore. Hopefully a few more FEs might show up in the future.

Jeff Wohlt
06-08-2009, 11:52 AM
Always wanted to have races in St. Louis at the Sheraton Westport. Walk out your room and there is the perfect lake at the hotel.

I do know the mgr well but have not approached him on this yet.

Also 15 minute ride from the airport.

LuckyDuc
06-08-2009, 12:17 PM
It looks like a nice place to host a race. It would take a lot of organizing work to make it happen though.

LarrysDrifter
05-27-2010, 10:40 PM
Always wanted to have races in St. Louis at the Sheraton Westport. Walk out your room and there is the perfect lake at the hotel.

I do know the mgr well but have not approached him on this yet.

Also 15 minute ride from the airport.

Do you know of any clubs in or around the St.Louis area?I live about 1/2hr south of the city.I just go to the local park and mess around but Id love to race at least 1 other person.

Grimracer
05-28-2010, 12:36 PM
St louis Thunderboats.
www.impba.net

Jeff Wohlt
05-28-2010, 01:25 PM
Grim is right and I think that is the oldest model boating club known. I am two hours from there. Now that Andy K is closer it could mean we could have a great CD :) If he would drive a couple hours.

The hotel would be awesome to have a race at. Rooms walk right out to the lake.

I can talk to the g.m. if we actually would make it a go and be serious. Midwest Nationals! Cheap flights and middle america for everyone. It is where it should be every year. We also have Creve Coure lake which is awesome. Drag races are coming up!

I would want a good turnout because of what I would be asking for...he is only interested in room rev...great restaurants and you would probably see Ozzie Smith as he has a bar/restau there and hangs to sign crap often...Go Cardinals!!