View Full Version : N-1 Mono

Hrnts69
05-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Hello, iam currently working on a N-1 Mono Boat. So far i have:
-H20 Racing 21.5 UFO Hull
-SV27 Hardware
-Puntam Excessive Force 27T Stock Motor

And iam wondering about these questions:

1. What ESC and Batts are bein used in this class? Whats the popular choice?

2. Iam thinking about using this motor mount :
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/proddetail.php?prod=etti-h010

Would that be a good choice for this boat? Also, to mount it in the hull, how many inches should it be away from the back? And do i CA the fins to the bottom of the hull?

3. Since the hull is ABS Plactic, do i need to lay some CF on the bottom of the hull? If so, where can i purchase the CF at?

Also, can you guys post pics of your N-1 Boats? I want to see the layout you guys are using.

Thanks
Blake

Hrnts69
05-05-2009, 03:04 PM
Can anybody help me out?

jingalls007
05-05-2009, 03:23 PM
post some pics perhaps?

Meniscus
05-05-2009, 04:23 PM
Please don't be discouraged because no one has responded yet. I think you'll find that someone here has a similar boat that can provide some valuable information regarding your setup.

In the meantime, I'd do some searches in the forum for different setups. This is often what I do when researching different setups.

Also look at the tips/info sections. There is a lot of valuable information there as well. With regards to the motor placement, some of the search terms you can use are CG or COG = Center of Gravity.

Regarding CF, do you have a Local Hobby Shop (LHS) near you? Often you can find this material on their shelves, especially if they carry supplies for cars and planes. Otherwise, if you do a quick search, you'll find that users here buy CF from many different sources from Ebay to Composite material manufacturers.

Hope this helps.

Flying Scotsman
05-05-2009, 05:04 PM
Blake, many people will help you out but as Meniscus states in a subtle way you also have to help yourself. As Ben recommends study the tips and do searches for info and also review the rules for the N1 class at IMPBA or NAMBA. Then come back with your questions
I am more blunt than Meniscus.

Douggie

Meniscus
05-05-2009, 05:53 PM
...I am more blunt than Meniscus.

Douggie

True, so don't associate me with Flying Scotsman, he might not like it :laugh:

Welcome to the forum and I hope you find and receive the answers to your questions. If you can't find the information or there is confusion, don't hesitate to inquire, regardless how others perceive your questions :tongue_smilie:

:thumbup1:

Flying Scotsman
05-05-2009, 06:05 PM
Love you Ben..... and Blake, Ben is on the button, but do a bit more research the next time. Blake, you sound young and as I am an old fart, I can then say this. Explore the internet but do not think you can rely on others peoples info..bogus or truthfull...experiment with caution to begin with !!!!

Douggie

Flying Scotsman
05-05-2009, 07:41 PM
-SV27 Hardware

Would that be a good choice for this boat? Also, to mount it in the hull, how many inches should it be away from the back? And do i CA the fins to the bottom of the hull?

3. Since the hull is ABS Plactic, do i need to lay some CF on the bottom of the hull? If so, where can i purchase the CF at?

Also, can you guys post pics of your N-1 Boats? I want to see the layout you guys are using.

Thanks
Blake

Blake, I will give you an answer, since you have not replied and you have been online at least 4 times

10S1P...any airplane ESC you can find and use a top quality AM radio.:unsure:

Douggie

Hrnts69
05-05-2009, 07:47 PM
Well, i just did a search for N-1 Monos, and N-1 Boats. And nothing came up. I did a search in almost every part of this board. And i looked at the NAMBA rules, which i know now, but that leads to more questions?

Flying Scotsman
05-05-2009, 08:06 PM
Then, do your due dilligence and then ask the questions, after you have searched all N1 requirements on this site and many others. Are you going racing and what is the competition, if so, or is this a sport setup? Yes, I can be demanding.

Douggie

Darin Jordan
05-05-2009, 08:33 PM
Blake,

I'll try to get you pointed in the correct direction:

-SV27 Hardware

That's a good start... Don't know much about those motors, but any good 27T should get you started...

The BEST ESC for any brushed application would be the RC-Hydros ESCs. Unfortunately, they are no longer being made... If you can find one, they are the ticket. (I may have a couple in my spares box, but I'd have to look)...

That being said, any ESC that is compact, and capable of handling 6 to 12-cells and 50-60 amps should work. Some use RC Car ESCs with some luck. I'm sure there are some cheap Chinese options as well, but I don't have any experience with those.

Something like a good Novak or an LRP or Castle would work well, but won't be water-resistant, so you'll need to be careful. The RC-Hydros are waterproof and almost never fail, which is why so many use them...

That mount will work fine, but keep in mind that you'll want to make the boat as LIGHT as possible. This mount may be a tad heavy. A simply bent aluminum mount would be lighter... Again, N1 with a brushed motor is going to require that it be as LIGHT as you can get it... simple is lighter!

As for location, I've done it two ways... 1) Mount the motor toward the rear... maybe 3" from the transom and as low as possible, with a short flexshaft or wire-drive shaft, then put the batteries in front of the motor down the center of the hull. This keeps the weight low and in the center, which I think helps the handling and keeps the boat upright.

or 2) Mount the motor about on the CG (around 27 to 30% of the hull length) and saddle the cells on either side of the motor.

I prefer #1, but my last N1 boat did use #2, due to that's what would fit the best. I've seen both work. It's really up to you.

I wouldn't add ANY extra weight you don't have to. Bill Oxidean and David Newland have some of the fastest ABS N1 boats around, and they are just ABS inside... However, careful placement of motor-mounts, etc., can act to reinforce the hull as well. I try to layout things so that the bottom, from the motor back, doesn't flex much, but don't worry about it too much. The Force 21 I had was fairly rigid as it came... Again, you need to keep it LIGHT!

As an example, my last N1 boat weighed under 2lbs READY to RACE... about 1.75lbs with batteries... and it was slightly overbuilt...

Thanks
Blake

I have some packed away somewhere (on my other computer)... I'll dig them up and post some for you...

Hope this helps...

Meniscus
05-05-2009, 09:09 PM
Thanks Darin, I didn't want to point him in the wrong direction or have him get discouraged because no one was responding.

How come you didn't suggest an Oberto paint scheme? ;) LOL J/K

Hrnts69
05-05-2009, 10:23 PM
Thanks for the info Darin! Thats what iam looking for.

If you have pics of setup #1, plz post em. I would love yo see it and see what driveline setup you used. And whats the best way to find CG?

And, whats the best way to mount the hardware. Do you want the driveline to come out of the transom, or out the bottom with stuffing tube?

FRED
05-05-2009, 10:51 PM
I know how to set it up to the ", i have 2 of them! Fallen on dead ears!

Meniscus
05-05-2009, 11:31 PM
Fred, your preferences prevent the receipt of PM's.

FRED
05-05-2009, 11:50 PM
Try the message portion, ok! I'll let him go Darin's direction and bow out. Keep the info to myself.

Darin Jordan
05-06-2009, 12:02 AM
Here are a few pics that might help... surprisingly, I don't really have a lot of pics of my N1 stuff for some reason...

The last pic of the yellow boat is the same hull as the carbon looking boat, but setup for O-Mono... layout is the same, however... Battery pack went right in front of the motor...

You only need about a 2200mah pack for N1, but I usually use at least a 3300mah pack, and for maximum performance, at least a 4500mah... I found that it's more important to have minimum voltage drop as opposed to lower weight... the extra RPMs wins out over the few extra ounces of the heavier packs most of the time... This applies to both Lipos and NiMH... I now use Lipos... but some clubs (NJ, NY, etc...) may not allow the NAMBA Legal N1 setups yet...

Meniscus
05-06-2009, 08:18 AM
Great pictures Darin, I'm sure that will help him a lot.

Did you make those CF brackets? Or are they available somewhere?

Hrnts69
05-06-2009, 08:40 AM
Thanks for the pics Darin!

Do you think i should out "rails" in my hull like you did?

Darin Jordan
05-06-2009, 09:27 AM
Did you make those CF brackets? Or are they available somewhere?

I made them from some carbon fiber angle stock I found on e-bay awhile back... Wish I could get some more!

Darin Jordan
05-06-2009, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the pics Darin!

Do you think i should out "rails" in my hull like you did?

I'm not sure what you mean... Can you post some pics of the inside of your hull? If you are talking about the lateral braces I put into the Carbon El Lobo 2... then my answer would be "maybe"... Don't clutter it up too much... keep it simple and light... It's an N1 boat... it's not going to be under a lot of undo stress do to too much power... ;) LIGHT is fast in this class...

Here is a link you should read. This shows how to water-cool the brush hoods on your motor. You SHOULD do this!

http://www.fastelectrics.com/brushcoolers.htm

Also, this shows a typical layout for a hull like this with the pack mounted in front of the motor... This particular picture was aimed for the El Lobo II, but the basics still apply... With Lipos being 1/2 the weight of the NiMH cells... you may even be able to get the motor a little further fwd and still maintain your CG... Try to get the motor as LOW and flat as possible to keep any driveline bends to a minimum...

http://www.drcwebservices.com/ffe/images/elloboiiinterior.gif

Meniscus
05-06-2009, 11:39 AM
No kidding, if you do find some more, or if I find, I'd be happy to share the cost with you.

Darin Jordan
05-06-2009, 11:50 AM
No kidding, if you do find some more, or if I find, I'd be happy to share the cost with you.

??? :confused:

What are you referring to???

OH... you are talking about the Carbon Fiber angle... Yah.... the guy that used to sell it on E-bay seems to have disappeared... Graphite Elegance I think it was...

Meniscus
05-06-2009, 01:48 PM
I'll see what I can find.