PDA

View Full Version : What is the difference?

chunkymonkey28
05-03-2009, 11:47 PM
Hello,

Could someone please help me understand the difference between straight drive shafts, piano wire shafts, and flex wire shafts? Pros and Cons? thanks, I appreciate it

-Mike.

Ocean Racer
05-04-2009, 12:52 AM
I have been into rc boats around 2 years im not on expert but i know the basics. A straight shaft is just that it doesnt bend but it is stronger at certain applications than a flex shaft. A flex shaft is a small guage wire that can bend to almost any form to fit your need. As for the piano wire in not sure about but from what i can tell it has the same characteristcs as a flex. A straight shaft is a good torque style setup I have heard of guys breaking there Flex shaft in half because of the amount of power. The bad thing about the straight is that sence it does not bend you know have to set your motor at a greater angle to get the most out of the shaft. While a flex you need a little less motor angle to get the same shaft angle. Most race boats use a flex shaft because of the flex ability they have to tune there boat to conditions. Depending on how what style of drive setup you use (surface piercing or subsurface) helps you figure out what works best. Most subsurface setups use a sraight shaft while most surface piercing use a flex.
Hopefuly I have answered most of your questions. Im sure somone will come along soon and fill in what i might have missed.

Simon.O.
05-04-2009, 03:47 AM
Jay got most of it and I'll pick up the loose ends.
I have run all 3 types of shaft.
Straight shaft is excactly that, a solid straight shaft as in a conventional full size boat. Very smooth very effecient and very strong. Drawbacks are limited adjustability for height and no change in thrust/drive angle. Given that it is preferred to get the tailshaft as flat as possible this does present problems. They are still popular and I have seen some very fast boats with one.

Flex-shaftThis is a flexible cable that is made up of many small strands of steel wire. Run in a brass tube with or without a teflon liner. Allows a lot of adjustability of the strut and maintained well is great. Can snap if not setup correctly or is the wrong size for the application. Very few drawbacks except cost (for me) of couplers etc. Extremely popular method of drive.

Wire-drive A thin .062" or .078" very very stong music (piano) wire. Again allows flexibility of adjustment, not as much as a flex-cable though. Will not take the bends that a flex can. Is very cheap to do yourself including tail / prop shafts. (I do all my own) Looks very clean and tidy.

chunkymonkey28
05-04-2009, 07:49 PM
Thanks. That makes sense. I'm not sure weather to use the stock straight shaft in my boat or try something else....I'll have to give it a think.

Thanks!

tharmer
05-04-2009, 09:29 PM
I'm about ready to try a wire drive. For me, the difference (I hope) will be the fact that a wire drive is much less critical to align than a straight shaft.
-t