PDA

View Full Version : Delta Force Vortex Hydro Equipment?

Blackjack-sven
05-01-2009, 12:26 PM
I've got on order, the Delta Force Vortex Hydro, and wanted to know what you guys put in your hydro's.
Right now the only items I have to place in it are a blackjack 26bl 1500kv stock motor and esc, aluminum rudder with pickup, x642 prop or 40x52\3 grimracer, digital servo, FM radio, and 2 x 4600mah NI-MH batteries. Don't know if I need 2 batts for the boat but they are available.

Rumdog
05-01-2009, 04:14 PM
Irun my vortex with the following.. ETTI 150 esc, ammo3656 2600kv motor, 2x2s lipos 4000mah 25/35c and a x640 prop. i use solinger hydro hardware. this hull flies on this setup! handles awesome. my cog is about 3/4 to 1 inch from the rear of the sponsons. If you use the bj26 motor you'll want to use both of your batteries for sure. you may want to start with a smaller prop at first.you're gonna love that hull. i sure do!

Blackjack-sven
05-01-2009, 04:33 PM
Irun my vortex with the following.. ETTI 150 esc, ammo3656 2600kv motor, 2x2s lipos 4000mah 25/35c and a x640 prop. i use solinger hydro hardware. this hull flies on this setup! handles awesome. my cog is about 3/4 to 1 inch from the rear of the sponsons. If you use the bj26 motor you'll want to use both of your batteries for sure. you may want to start with a smaller prop at first.you're gonna love that hull. i sure do!

Smaller prop how? Diameter or pitch? Or both for that matter. I figure that with a slower RPM prop I can use a slightly bigger prop. Plus I used this prop on the blackjack with the 1500kv motor and it ran really well. Is the hull difference gonna change the performance badly enough, or raise the amp draw too much for me to have to change to a different prop? I know you should start with a smaller prop, but changing the diameter, # of blades, and pitch will change amp draw. Is the amp draw what your talking about? Because the blackjack 26bl's prop is 2 millimeters smaller in diameter and a slightly shallower pitch of 0.14".

Jesse J
05-01-2009, 05:25 PM
I think you will actually prop UP with that motor. 1500 kv packs some torque. I would bet, not to say start here, but bet that you end up with 45mm prop. I have several of those motors, unless you go 5-6S you just don't get the umph unless you got diameter.

Try what you have and go from there. I ran one of those in my 28" hydro and on 4S it was doggin (compared to the 8XL that ended up in it). You might get upper 30s low 40s on 4S and a 645 prop. I'll be curious to see what you report on this.

Blackjack-sven
05-01-2009, 07:09 PM
Try what you have and go from there. I ran one of those in my 28" hydro and on 4S it was doggin (compared to the 8XL that ended up in it). You might get upper 30s low 40s on 4S and a 645 prop. I'll be curious to see what you report on this.

I will eventually get an 8 or 7xl with lipo batts and a better esc. But for now I'll run what I have and definitely report speed and handling. I'll most likely have my camera with me on the first run as well so I'll post a link to the youtube site after as well.

Jesse J
05-01-2009, 07:40 PM
You want to put an XL in a 22" hydro? I have an 8L in mine on 3S and an X632 prop and she does over 40... how close to the speed of sound you lookin to go? I may sell that motor in the near future, as I replace it with a Neu.... will let you know.

Blackjack-sven
05-01-2009, 07:58 PM
I have an 8xl in my blackjack, and I'm thinking that the hydro hull will be heavier than the 25 inch proboat, so my guess would have been that the two of them would run roughly the same speeds. :confused2: ? but hell if it's gonna be in the "MACH" zone I might as well hit at least mach 2. :rockon2: LOL But seriously the faster the better, so sure, an 8xl will be fine. I'll just prop it lower to keep it from going over board. :thumbup:

Rumdog
05-01-2009, 08:08 PM
the only reason i'd start with a smaller prop is because a larger one may induce propwalk on this small hydro. may not though. this hull is super light by the way. on 4s with a 7xl you'll see mid sixties easy.

Blackjack-sven
05-01-2009, 08:27 PM
the only reason i'd start with a smaller prop is because a larger one may induce propwalk on this small hydro. may not though. this hull is super light by the way. on 4s with a 7xl you'll see mid sixties easy.

Even if prop walk occurs, won't the setup help out? I intend on putting the rudder off to the right side with a slight angle (.05-.075), and placing the whole drive system 3-4 mm off to the right as well. as for the 7xl, is it faster than the 8xl?

Jesse J
05-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Right, good point on the 7XL, in my 28" oberto, I have 8XL on 4S and a X640 prop, it does low 50's (weighing 4.5 lbs), might want to go with motor for 3S.

Rumdog
05-02-2009, 09:42 AM
it is a good idea to offset the drive system. i did the same on mine. i however mounted the rudder port side. there is much debate on the topic of which side to mount it on a hydro. after all was said and done, i was under the impression that it was better to go port side on a hydro and starboard side on a rigger. i havent had propwalk issues on my hull either. the 7xl is a higher kv motor than the 8xl. in this hull it will be faster. you could easily go with an L size can too. there is a build thread by 10gage on this forum. he did the vortex up with an L size can on 3s and he was seeing low 50's!.

Blackjack-sven
05-05-2009, 03:52 PM
I think you will actually prop UP with that motor. 1500 kv packs some torque. I would bet, not to say start here, but bet that you end up with 45mm prop.

I have the grimracer 40x52 3 blade prop as well. Would this be too much of a "prop-up"?

Meniscus
05-05-2009, 04:15 PM
I'm no expert on props, but I'd star a little smaller ;) Especially considering it's a 3-blader. That way you can monitor temps as you go larger.

Do I remember you posting that you have an Eagle Tree logger?

Blackjack-sven
05-05-2009, 09:23 PM
Do I remember you posting that you have an Eagle Tree logger?

No but I am running a spectrum with telemetry so I will be able to see the temp on the motor as I drive. What is the optimum operating temp for the Feigao's 8xl?