PDA

View Full Version : Out of the box

Drag Boat Bob
04-29-2009, 06:28 PM
I received my UL-1 (got a white one this time). The sponson at the fin looks fine, as does the rest of the boat except for some dust (?) or whatever on the bolts that are on top of the motor. It came off with some alcohol.

Here is how it came setup:
Strut: at 7/8"
Strut angle: 1 degree negative (upward on leading edge)

Rudder: has approx. 1-2 degree negative (using flat part of transom as reference.

Left sponson: 1 degree angle toward outside (left)
Right sponson: 1 degree angle toward inside (left) both angle the same direction.

Left sponson height at front tip: 2"
Right sponsin height at front tip: 1 15/16"

Left side of transom: 15/16"
Right side of transom: 13/16"

Motor does not turn freely, but this could be normal (I don't know).

All measurements from table top.

Speak up if any of this sounds out of normal.
Thanks,
DBB

jingalls007
04-29-2009, 06:41 PM
the motor on the UL-1 is a 6 pole motor so you should feel resistance 6 different times in one revolution. It should not spin freely. Have fun with the boat, it's a ton of fun.

Drag Boat Bob
04-29-2009, 06:52 PM
Thanks jingalls, I thought that might be the case with the motor.

I am half tempted to run her as she is, but will probably shoot some epoxy in the fin bolt holes as a protective measure. I have waited too long to screw it up now.

jingalls007
04-29-2009, 07:00 PM
Thanks jingalls, I thought that might be the case with the motor.

I am half tempted to run her as she is, but will probably shoot some epoxy in the fin bolt holes as a protective measure. I have waited too long to screw it up now.

I mixed up some 15 minute epoxy, sucked it up in a syringe and injected it directly into the turn fin holes and let it set over night. I've never had any issues with my turn fin. I recently added the expandable foam as well, making sure to coat the inside of the turn fin area for added strength.

detox
04-29-2009, 07:44 PM
The boat will be boring with stock plastic prop and stock strut setting. Lower your strut down to 1 1/8" then purchase either the Grimracer L40 x 57/3, Grimracer L38 x 55, or the Octura m440. I would also purchase two new Hyperion G3 lipos (two 2s 25c 5000mah).

Drag Boat Bob
04-29-2009, 08:04 PM
Thanks Detox.

I have a 38x55 sharpened and ready to go, but want to find out a little more about the handling and adjustments first. My batteries don't arrive until Friday, but shortly after that.. its hammer time...

I have a small GPS so I should know the speed at least.

jingalls007
04-29-2009, 08:04 PM
The boat will be boring with stock plastic prop and stock strut setting. Lower your strut down to 1 1/8" then purchase either the Grimracer L40 x 57/3, Grimracer L38 x 55, or the Octura m440. I would also purchase two new Hyperion G3 lipos (two 2s 25c 5000mah).

I went to that site you posted a link to for these batts and they have 4500 35c lipos for $88.00... they are on back order currently. anywhere else to get these that you know of?

LuckyDuc
04-29-2009, 09:48 PM
Glad to hear that the correct one arrived this time, and in one piece. Let the fun begin:smile:

You have to try the "complete" stock setup before messing with it. It is a must.;) Then you will have a reference point.:thumbup:

Drag Boat Bob
04-29-2009, 09:55 PM
Glad to hear that the correct one arrived this time, and in one piece. Let the fun begin:smile:

You have to try the "complete" stock setup before messing with it. It is a must.;) Then you will have a reference point.:thumbup:

Actually, that is where the name came from (DBB). Seems I need to methodically go through things (is a curse).

Got thrown out once at very high speed... body is just not the same afterwards.

Yes, I will go through this like it was "the" process... only having more fun!!!

BTW, was that a 5v or 6v BEC you are running?

DBB

LuckyDuc
04-29-2009, 10:06 PM
Actually, that is where the name came from (DBB). Seems I need to methodically go through things (is a curse).

Got thrown out once at very high speed... body is just not the same afterwards.

Yes, I will go through this like it was "the" process... only having more fun!!!

BTW, was that a 5v or 6v BEC you are running?

DBB

I have the 6V version... Extra juice for the servo /receiver that way.
No need to worry about getting tossed from this little bute.:thumbup1:

Drag Boat Bob
04-29-2009, 10:08 PM
Just wanted to make sure that the Tactic would take 6v. The "100" will NOT.

Capt. Crash
04-30-2009, 08:03 AM
Lower your strut down to 1 1/8" then purchase either the Grimracer L40 x 57/3,

Sounds good....glad ya got a good one this time. The strut depth and angle are what mine were too. They are very close to being back to that factory setting and I'm getting my fastest runs with it there. (50.0 mph) It is a lot harder to get the prop hooked up though. I never checked the transom measurements. Make sure the rudder setting is right....not reversed and give her full rudder trim. Pull the shaft to check for lube...drop some batteries in her and let it rip! :rockon2:

Drag Boat Bob
04-30-2009, 07:14 PM
I mixed up some 15 minute epoxy, sucked it up in a syringe and injected it directly into the turn fin holes and let it set over night. I've never had any issues with my turn fin. I recently added the expandable foam as well, making sure to coat the inside of the turn fin area for added strength.

Many thanks to jingalls and Detox for the epoxy syringe idea. Worked like a champ! Think I get some more of those... :thumbup1:

Capt. Crash
05-01-2009, 08:01 AM
Many thanks to jingalls and Detox for the epoxy syringe idea. Worked like a champ! Think I get some more of those... :thumbup1:

They are a lot cheaper at your local pharmacy.