PDA

View Full Version : water jacket driving me nuts!

yurkanip
04-27-2009, 10:13 AM
I am trying to get this water jacket to go on a feigao 10xl motor..it is the right diameter, but the o-rings are nearly impossible to stay in the jacket when trying to go over the motor. I have tried wd-40, various oils, water and nothing seems to work. The o-ring just slips out of the groove inside the jacket when I get it started on the motor. The motor lips pushes it out. not matter what I do....thoughts??
Thank you

Patrick

hide
04-27-2009, 11:42 AM
Silicone lubricant

yurkanip
04-27-2009, 11:51 AM
Hide...thanks for the input...I have tried that, as I said in my post...silicone (chain lube), wd-40, all in one oil etc. The problem is not getting it slick enough..its keeping the o-ring in teh notch of the waterjacket...as it is being pressed around the motor.

more thoughts on keeping the o-ring in place and not stretching it beyond infinity in the process?

Flyguy55
04-27-2009, 12:16 PM
It may not be right , but this worked for me. First I cleaned the o rings and reinstalled them. I then lubed the inside of the O rings with light oil I had around.
A little lube on the motor.
I put the motor shaft end down in my drill press, shaft through the hole.
I used a large socket that just fit inside the water jacket O ringes and usef light pressure to press the motor into the water jacket.
The O ring is held in by the drill press surface. I've done it several times . I don't have much hand strength anymore.

Dick Roberts
Abq NM

yurkanip
04-27-2009, 12:32 PM
Flyguy...fantastic idea...I will try the socket idea. I don't have access to a drill press...but I think you may have something!! Thanks again. this is exactly what I meant....keeping the o-rings in place while streching them outwards around the motor...almost in theory like a piston ring clamp that I use on my jetski motors, it holds them in place while you slide the cylinder down. Similar, only holding the o-ring snug against the waterjacket, while motor is slid into place.

hide
04-27-2009, 01:18 PM
I think the problem with Chain lube, if I'm right in thinking is that it is too thick. If you haven't tried it, I sprayed a little silicone lube onto the can and not onto the O rings so that they wouldn't slip so much.

Flyguy55
04-27-2009, 07:53 PM
Today I removed a water jacket from a bad motor ( stripped threads ). It was a black Aluminum OSE jacket for a 540 on a SV 27 motor. I used a little light oil on the outside of the O rings and put a little oil inside through the water inlet and outlet.
I used a slightly bigger water jacked , from a NEU I think , under the jacket of the one I wanted to remove and pressed the motor into the larger jacket.
It doesent seem to leak on the new motor.

Dick

domwilson
04-27-2009, 11:08 PM
You could try this or PVC pipe or pill bottles.......http://cgi.ebay.com/ETTI-540-size-Water-Cooling-Jacket-Mounting-Kit_W0QQitemZ110177957622QQihZ001QQcategoryZ34058Q QssPageNameZWD1VQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp163 8Q2em118Q2el1247

Jesse J
04-27-2009, 11:22 PM
I understand the problem allllll too well. I have solved it. No drill presses no tools beyond two grubby mitts (hands).

Here is the million dollar secret, works every time and no need for excesses of lube.
1) Remove one of the rings.
2) Slide the jacket over the motor now that you have no o ring, it goes on easy, right - well it also aligns the jacket with the motor perfectly and has a much easier time sliding on.
4) Now with the o-ring around the motor, keep sliding and replace the o-ring you took out.
5) then slide the jacket back into place and walaha, happy racer!

yurkanip
04-28-2009, 12:04 PM
Thanks guys for the ideas. I tried the socket trick...and it was a "no go" o ring just got mushed out and deformed....(the same problem as before). this was with lots of lube and many attempts, to no avail. I will try simply putting the jacket on then sliding in the o-ring last..as suggested, by jesse j. The black, ose waterjacket works great! no problems on and off...but this aluminum jacket has been a pain in the butt. it think it is due to a larger cooling area, thus a thicker o-ring used that is rolling out when installing. just my point of view. (next time I buy a jacket..will definately buy the black ose one, over this aluminum one)

Jesse J
04-28-2009, 01:01 PM
have patience, the aluminum one is better - provided both o rings are intact! good luck.

785boats
04-28-2009, 01:51 PM
Put the motor in the freezer for an hour or so. Motor shrinks a couple of thou.
Put the water jacket in a pot of boiling water for 5 minutes or so. Jacket expands a couple of thou.
Lightly lube the o rings & motor & it should slide on easily.
Works for installing gudgeon pins into pistons without a press. This is the same principal.
Never tried it with a motor, but have with the pistons.
Might be worth a try.
Cheers.
Paul.

paulwilliams
04-28-2009, 03:06 PM
It's a shame water cooling jackets weren't around in the days when we ran brushed motors, when heat really was an issue. I fail to see the need for directly cooling the can of a brushless motor. I race a class here in the UK that runs for 7 minutes + mill time, and the motors are barely warm at the end of a race. If you're running sprint classes, with short run times, why bother cooling at all, or using anything more elaborate (and difficult to fit!) than a simple, cheap, and easy-to-fit aluminium coil?

Paul

HRC
04-28-2009, 08:42 PM
yurkanip,
First and formost I am sorry you are having problems with the jacket. Having a few boats myself I know how frustrating it can be trying to build a boat and a part is not working. After reading your post I can think of only two things.
1. The "O" ring manufacture warrants the size to be +/- .005 to spec. Most of the time they are dead on. Out of hundreds very few are out of spec. and get tossed. Yours may have slipped by.
2. The "O" ring groove in the jacket may not be correct.
I saw WD 40 was used. Most "O" rings do not like WD 40.
I would like the opportunity to correct the problem by sending a replacement at no cost to you. I would also like to get the old jacket returned for inspection shipping covered. I will work out the detales with Steven here at OSE.
Sond fair?
Thanks
Dave

H&MWill
04-28-2009, 11:20 PM
I have that same jacket and have switched it several times from motor to motor. I have used only dawn dish soap mixed with water doesnt ruin orings and dries up for a perfect seal.

Doug Smock
04-29-2009, 12:22 AM
Too cool!!!!

You are "The Man" Dave!!!!!!:beerchug:

Doug :tiphat:

yurkanip
04-29-2009, 12:34 AM
Dave, thank you for the offer...and I got your personal message! all I have to say is wow...that is what this site is about...boaters helping boaters. I will return this lending hand, and passing on some unused goods to another member in need when I get the chance and the time is right!
Thanks again for all of the posts in this thread as well...I tried them all and still nothing worked. But I think it will all work out for the best, Thanks again dave.

Apples1
04-29-2009, 12:47 AM
i wish there were more vendors out there like you, if there was this sport would be a peice of cake.

Keep it up.

yurkanip
05-07-2009, 10:30 AM
Wanted to Thank David from HRC again for returning the waterjacket that he produces...free of charge. I got it yesterday and the jacket fits prefectly. As stated earlier by many...more vendors like david, and steven v, would be nice in this hobby, not to mention with all businesses in general.

brad65
05-07-2009, 02:14 PM
I don't know if someone mentioned it but putting the o-rings in the freezer help be stiffen up the o-ring which helped alot.

HRC
05-07-2009, 04:39 PM
That is great news Yurkanip, makes me happy.
Thanks
Dave