PDA

View Full Version : Another Pickle Build

Doug Smock
04-26-2009, 10:48 PM
This one was for a club mate and new forum member.

Meet Trini and his "Top Chef" IROC Edition SV Powered Vac-U-Pickle:thumbup1:

Doug :tiphat:

Jesse J
04-26-2009, 11:14 PM
Good lookin stuff, makes me want one of those hulls. Pretty economical setup, how does she go/handle?

Flyguy55
04-27-2009, 12:11 AM
Hi Doug
I have 2 pickles. One P spec with SV27 or UL1 motors , and an N2 with a Hacker 6L .
I would like to set up the boats level ( with a level ) and set the strut height and turn fin level with the hull . The bottom had an S curve and I cant use that as level as I normaly would .
Have you found a place to level the hull ? or how do you set them up ?

Thanks , Dick R

Flyguy55
04-27-2009, 12:15 AM
Do you know the AOA of the sponsons ? If that is known , I thinkl I could find level .

Trini
04-27-2009, 12:34 AM
Thanks goes out to Doug Smock for doing an excellent job building this Vac-U-Pickle from start to finish....paint is just awesome!! Pictures don't do it justice.
Thanks also goes out to Phil Pace at Vac-U-Boats for taking time off his busy schedule to come to the pond today and installing the decals he made for the boat.

Today was one of the most fun-filled days I have had since being a member of the Atlanta Model Boaters.

Jesse J, the boat ran flawless right from its maiden voyage. They are fast with the SV setup, easy to drive, good looking and handle smoothly around the course. You have to own one or chase one!!

I will try to take a picture of the boat tomorrow so you can see the glitter effect in the paint work.

Trini

http://www.vac-u-boat.com/

longballlumber
04-27-2009, 08:09 AM
Hi Doug
I have 2 pickles. One P spec with SV27 or UL1 motors , and an N2 with a Hacker 6L .
I would like to set up the boats level ( with a level ) and set the strut height and turn fin level with the hull . The bottom had an S curve and I cant use that as level as I normaly would .
Have you found a place to level the hull ? or how do you set them up ?

Thanks , Dick R

Don might have a better answer, but this is my suggestion...

I would measure the tunnel depth at the sponson transom and use that depth at the strut and boat transom.

Doug Smock
04-27-2009, 08:25 AM
Dick,
I have been using a guage that I made after dialing in the first "Shoot Out" boat. Prior to that I was setting the boats up on a flat surface and adjusting the strut to what looked like the right ride attitude.
I'll take some measurements off of the one that everyone is chasing:lol: and post them this evening.

Trini, I'm glad you're happy with her, welcome to Fast Electrics!!:smile:

Doug

Flyguy55
04-27-2009, 12:34 PM
Strut height isn't the problem. I had the SSH running good at a race yesterday , The second heat a boat spunout right in front of me and I ran over it.. There wasn't time for anyone to call it . It knocked loose the turn fin mount and moved the fin setting. The turn fin has a bend . That bend aoa changes the ride attitude of the right sponson and adds drag if its not right . If i could level the hull on a set up board , I could set the turn fin right again with a digital level.
Now its back to trial and error. Its easy on my rigger or hydro with a flat bottom some place on the hull.

Dick

Don might have a better answer, but this is my suggestion...

I would measure the tunnel depth at the sponson transom and use that depth at the strut and boat transom.

longballlumber
04-27-2009, 12:48 PM
gotcha...

nate
04-27-2009, 01:06 PM
Whats the average speed on this boat with that setup...

Doug Smock
04-27-2009, 01:06 PM
I understand now Dick.
Garry Finlay may be able to help us with the AOA of the sponsons as this was his design originally.

HappyOne
04-27-2009, 10:15 PM
Nice boat :biggrin:

I love mine.

HOTWATER
04-27-2009, 11:02 PM
I've been reading threads on this boat for a week now and am starting to think that if I don't like my UL-1 setup that is in my Rigged Insanity, I think it will find a new home in one of these!!

Great boat Trini! Another great build Doug!! Love it!!

-Kent

Doug Smock
04-28-2009, 07:05 AM
Thanks Trent.
Nate I have never put a GPS in one of these, space is an issue, but I think I can safely say they are running 40ish in race trim.

Doug

HOTWATER
04-28-2009, 11:16 PM
Thanks Trent.
Nate I have never put a GPS in one of these, space is an issue, but I think I can safely say they are running 40ish in race trim.

Doug

Hi Doug! It's Kent, by the way, not Trent. LOL!!

I was wondering what you thought about the differences between running a flex cable on the Pickle VS. a wire drive (.078). I would be interested in running the AC UL-1 setup (motor/ ESC) and would like your opinion on this...:confused2:

Thanks,
Kent

Doug Smock
04-28-2009, 11:58 PM
Hi Doug! It's Kent, by the way, not Trent. LOL!!

I was wondering what you thought about the differences between running a flex cable on the Pickle VS. a wire drive (.078). I would be interested in running the AC UL-1 setup (motor/ ESC) and would like your opinion on this...:confused2:

Thanks,
Kent

I'm sorry Kent:doh::o:o

I'm sure the UL-1 setup would be a blast in the pickle. I've never used wire drives, I'm happy with cables.

Send a PM tp Fluid, I imagine he has as much experience with wires as anyone. He'll put you on he right track.