PDA

View Full Version : Shockwave 36 brushless conversion

beatyourtruck
04-20-2009, 12:20 AM
Hello everyone. I am a RC boat newbie but well versed in the world of ground RC :) I have wanted an RC Boat for a long time and have now taken the plunge. Time to get my feet wet!

First off, let me say that I have learned a lot from the threads already posted here, especially the other SW36 conversions. I am also impressed by the caliber of the OSE staff and senior members. It is always a treat to find an online community that is so friendly and knowledgeable.

So, I picked up a nice used SW36 hull with all the rear mechanicals off of E-bay. I chose the SW36 as a starting point as I'll be running it in some local rivers (slow moving but can get a little choppy), and thought the size compared to my original plan of a 24" boat would make more sense. now that it is on my bench, a 24" would have been a mistake. The SW36 seems perfect in size.

I am now determining what electronics to equip it with. I am partial to castle electrics where possible and would be using a Hydra ESC and of course the boat will be lipo powered. I am not a racer, but I like speed! A couple of questions to get me started:

1.) It looks like the 580L would be a nice motor for me. Again, I'm not a racer and the price seems very nice on that motor. 1200kv 'ish range should work well. Anyone running a 580L and what do you think of it?

2.) Cooling pickups? The SW has one. Am I better off to add another pickup for dedicated ESC and Motor cooling? Or is the single enough? I would rather lean towards overkill on this particular item ;)

3.) It appears that I'll run 6S or 8S. There are areas just large enough on the left and right sides to hold a 5S pack, so a single 3S or 4S on each side should be great. Anyone running 6S or 8S? Comments on either setup?

Thats it for now.....I am sure I'll have more questions!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

A couple of pics attached :rockon2:

Steven Vaccaro
04-20-2009, 07:42 AM
I would suggest a Castle hydra 180hv and a Feigao 580L, running 6s lipo. I would run (2) 3s packs, 30c 6000mAH. If you run larger packs it will not allow forward and backward adjustment for weight balance. This will yield at least 40mph with power for more with testing the right props.

lomdel
04-20-2009, 10:00 AM
If you are not intending to re-install the nitro motor in the future, take your trusty Dremel cutting wheel to the stringers and remove as much of the plywood as you can, strengthen the hull bottom and remove radio box, all to save weight and clean the interior up. Cut a 1,5mm clear perspex sub-hatch that you tape down with white electrical tape to keep the interior dry during runs. I run a converted Thundercat31 but did not remove the interior to keep the possibility of nitro...
Replace rudder with this http://www.topsecretboats.com/inc/sdetail/196 . The other stock hardware should be fine.
The motor-mount should be your greatest concern, though!

beatyourtruck
04-20-2009, 10:58 AM
Thanks for the info guys.

Steven - sounds like I am on the right track. In your past experience, what do you think I could expect for run time with 6000mah packs?

lomdel - In case I decide to pull it apart someday and resell, I plan on leaving the interior in place. I'll be fabricating a motor mount to use the existing mounting points.

Sweet rudder! I really like the built in pickups. Thanks for the link!

z400
04-20-2009, 12:43 PM
Nice to see you around here Chris!
Its me, Sean from BYT, the guy who recommended you come here.

Steven Vaccaro
04-20-2009, 01:21 PM
Thanks for the info guys.

Steven - sounds like I am on the right track. In your past experience, what do you think I could expect for run time with 6000mah packs?

lomdel - In case I decide to pull it apart someday and resell, I plan on leaving the interior in place. I'll be fabricating a motor mount to use the existing mounting points.

Sweet rudder! I really like the built in pickups. Thanks for the link!

I would estimate around 4-5 minutes. But it can be propped to run more or less, depending on speed/prop size.

beatyourtruck
04-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Nice to see you around here Chris!
Its me, Sean from BYT, the guy who recommended you come here.

Glad to be here! Thanks! :thumbup1: I have been a lurker here for some time and finally created an account now that I have a boat on my bench :laugh:

I am really glad to see the 580L as an option as it will save me money and fits my build better than a much pricier motor.

I would estimate around 4-5 minutes. But it can be propped to run more or less, depending on speed/prop size.

Geez that seems low! I can get 10-15 minutes of hard run time with a brushless e-maxx on 5S 5000mah. I had guessed that boats would require less than a 4wd monster truck but this is why I am a newbie :) Thanks for the info.

calcagno45
04-20-2009, 01:52 PM
Geez that seems low! I can get 10-15 minutes of hard run time with a brushless e-maxx on 5S 5000mah. I had guessed that boats would require less than a 4wd monster truck but this is why I am a newbie :) Thanks for the info.

Yes sir, boats are the hardest R/C on batteries and runtimes. You have to keep in mind that in your Emaxx, you have a pinion/spur, tranny, and differentials to provide gear reductions. In your boat, the thrust is provided directly by the motor, no reduction. Also, the friction over water is a force to be reckoned with.

I can get 30 hard minutes from my Revo 2.5 conversion but 4-5 minutes from any of my boats....

beatyourtruck
04-20-2009, 01:59 PM
Thanks...yeah, I realize why it is that way. I was just hoping it would not be that dramatic!

Time to polish the bottom of that boat!!!! LOL