PDA

View Full Version : FE Motor Chart

RCvolt
04-18-2009, 02:46 PM
newbie here…

Motor charts below from OSE.
On 1st chart:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/feigao-nemesis-brushless-motors-chart.php

Looks like less “wind” = more rpm and amps.
And since amp increase with rpm, does that mean torque remains more or less the same?

On 2nd chart:
http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/neu-motor-chart.htm

motors are labeled in .5 increments followed by letters and are sometime referred to as “turns” for other brand motors.
Also, watts remain constant on 2nd chart. I know watts and amps are not the same but I’m not sure if I even want to go there now…

been looking at all sort of web site and forums and everybody seems to talk about it like it like it should be common knowledge. Maybe being new I just missed the boat on this, but I can't seem to find anything on this topic. Can somebody please explain the chart or give a link to help understand?

Thanks.

detox
04-18-2009, 05:22 PM
This may help

Fluid
04-18-2009, 07:04 PM
The OP's two charts are for very different motor types, the first for two poles, the second for four-pole motors. The 'wind' mean the number of turns of wire on each stator segment, but what really matters is the total length of wire used - which we aren't told directly. Rule of thumb - the less wire length (fewer turns) the higher the rpm and the higher the potential power.

Choosing a BL motor for a specific application is tough and you should rely on the experience of others at first. The biggest mistake newbies make is to use "too much" motor - too high a Kv for the voltage. A very rough guide for 2-pole motors is:

Kv x Volts = rpm

Sport running - 20,000 - 25,000 rpm
Oval racing - 25,000 to 30,000 rpm
SAW racing - 30,000+ rpm

For Neu motors add 10-15% to the rpm.

Watts = horsepower (kinda)
Watts = amps x volts
Increase the voltage or the amps and power goes up. You can keep the same power with lower amp draw (less chance of burning things up) by increasing voltage.

Detox's chart is for gear drive cars and the rpm ranges are not appropriate for 2-pole motors in direct drive boats. But it does show the rpm for various Kv and volt values. Kv is not the only parameter to use whan choosing a motor, so again it is best to ask others until you become more familiar with motor choices. Don't feel bad, it is not easy and in reality few really understand it well.