PDA

View Full Version : Recommendations on Correct type and Size Connectors

crrcboatz
04-13-2009, 01:08 PM
I will be running batteries in parallel and in series and want to have on hand the correct type and size connectors to handle the amperage. Will be running 3s, 4s, and 5s in parallel at this time.

Can you guide me to ready made up connector setups, wired or just the plug type that will handle the amperage for 1515, 1521, 1527 size motors.

Also do I use deans plugs to standardize with or the larger 5%6mm plug type of connectors

Do I mix the 2 mentioned above and if so which in each application,ie, speed controller, motor, batteries etc.

Help appreciated.

Curt

Flying Scotsman
04-13-2009, 01:16 PM
Curt, I would use 5 or 6mm bullet connectors on amperage over 70 amps. Deans are not suitable for high amperage

Douggie

crrcboatz
04-13-2009, 01:22 PM
ok, what size wire, should it be standardized also??

AndyKunz
04-13-2009, 03:01 PM
At least 12AWG, 10 if you can afford it.

Andy

785boats
04-13-2009, 03:37 PM
Curt.
I've progressively changed all the connectors on my gear over to 5.0mm bullets.
I don't run any big loads, only 60-80 Amps, but the deans plugs & wiring used to get too hot. Wiring & bullets remain cool now. I did everything, all the motors, ESCs, batteries. Even in some of my brushed scale boats so I can use the Lipos in them. I'm sick of metals now. Don't forget you'll have to make up charger adaptors & parallel adaptors. At least you won't need series adaptors anymore. That takes a lot of connections & resistance out of the circuit.
I've used 32 pairs so far & still need a few more. That's over AU$80.00.
If you have higher amperage go for the 6.0mm bullets.
You won't regret the change. Just be very careful not to short the batteries out while making the changes.
All the best.
Paul.

crrcboatz
04-13-2009, 03:45 PM
I am starting from scratch so will do as you said 5.5 or 6mm connectors and 10 gage wire if I can efford it. I will need to make some parallel connectors and a few series for 4s too so will need a bunch of wire. Where can I buy it in bulk to save money?

785boats
04-13-2009, 04:43 PM
Curt.
The beauty of bullets is that you don't need series adaptors.
I set up my batteries with a female bullet on the positive, & a male on the negative & vise verse on the ESC. This allows you to plug a positive from one battery into the negative on the other battery, & then the other positive & negative plug into the ESC. Of course the male connectors must have a protective shroud on them when not in use. I use a piece of firmly fitting unshrunk heat shrink.
There are those who fit two female bullets to the batteries & two males to the ESC, & yes you would have to make an adaptor if you go that way. but that's an extra connection in the circuit that you don't need.
Be interested to know which way other people do it & why.
The reason I do it the way I do, is for fewer connections & it's impossible to absent mindedly plug the ESC in with the wrong polarity. Just relying on colour coded wires doesn't always work. Here's a couple of pics. Note the blue protective shrouds.
Cheers.
Paul.

Flying Scotsman
04-13-2009, 04:56 PM
I am starting from scratch so will do as you said 5.5 or 6mm connectors and 10 gage wire if I can efford it. I will need to make some parallel connectors and a few series for 4s too so will need a bunch of wire. Where can I buy it in bulk to save money?

Curt, keep the wire connections as short as possible...less resistance. Do not use auto wire. Deans make a good product.

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/products.php?cat=39

Douggie