PDA

View Full Version : BLACKJACK 26 Brushless Catamaran RTR

Diegoboy
06-21-2007, 02:46 PM
I want one of these (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3300)! Steven, will you be carrying these?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/PRB/450/PRB3300-450.jpg (http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3300)
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/PRB3300-Gal5.jpg
http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Gallery/PRB3300-ACT5.jpg

hammertime
06-21-2007, 03:35 PM
this thing is sweeeeeet

saleens7
06-21-2007, 03:56 PM
its about time proboat finally went brushless....i just hope they put some more work into this then their other products...it hate to see such a good thing end up having the infamous proboat bugs...the steerable outdrive and u-joint will probably need to be replaced by a better quality strut and rudder if its going to last...

hammertime
06-21-2007, 03:58 PM
the motor is only 1500 kv probly would run in the low 30s

saleens7
06-21-2007, 04:00 PM
only 21,600rpms unloaded....it better use an abnormally large prop....i can tell right away it will never be as good quality as the supervee...and why no interior shots...hmmmmm...are they trying to hide something?

hammertime
06-21-2007, 04:03 PM
i was kina thinkin the same thing....... really wanted to see the inside of her

saleens7
06-21-2007, 04:10 PM
and its only using a 40mm prop....i just chcked out the batts they use for it....turns out they are IB3600's and 4200's

saleens7
06-21-2007, 04:11 PM
http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3313

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products/Default.aspx?ProdID=PRB3313

hammertime
06-21-2007, 04:16 PM
well if its anything like is cousin the nitro.......speeds much faster than this make the bopat very unstable

Diegoboy
06-21-2007, 04:58 PM
Wow. I guess you two are excited about it too! :D

part time
06-21-2007, 05:12 PM
its nice but it would be nicer if the made a blackjack 36

saleens7
06-21-2007, 05:25 PM
Wow. I guess you two are excited about it too! :D

i know how proboats lack in quality...the whole reason im converting my SW36 to brushless is because it never ran right, new problems popped up every time i tried to run it...i doubt this will be any different....

Diegoboy
06-21-2007, 05:36 PM
Pro Boat's First brushless product, and you guys already have your doubts. Give'em the benefit of the doubt at least.

ROOSTERTAIL
06-21-2007, 06:05 PM
:eek: I have doubts with pro boats history in the area of electronics quality. Well time will tell.

hammertime
06-21-2007, 07:06 PM
i dont doubt it at all.... im excited more rtr brushless products are coming out.....this will help the sport just as much at the sv.......... i have been waiting for a rtr brushless cat to come out....... this is the first one worth checking out......all other cats are just toys ie the volan

Piranha2
06-21-2007, 07:22 PM
You are all true, yes the strudder, u-joints and electronics are terrible buuuuut, at least it's another player in the BL market. FE needs more attention so that more innovations can be designed and implemented. Gotta love Proboats marketing guys......boat looks like it flies.....hmm.......strudder / u-joints......that's one of its biggest speed limiting factors. Yes, I've had them.

Jeepers
06-21-2007, 07:33 PM
its about time projunk came out with a brushless boat! its to bad that you wil probably have to modify it to be reliable, atleast the SV you can drive it out of the box and not really ever do any thing to it.

yz120
06-21-2007, 07:41 PM
luv the graphics,much better than the nitro version-hope they hold up better.

Doozie870
06-21-2007, 08:22 PM
It looks pretty. I wonder if Namba will have a special class for it?

Diegoboy
06-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Here's a few pics of the inside.
Interior Pics (http://www.horizonhobby.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB3300_BL_Blackjack-LoRes.pdf)

Diegoboy
06-21-2007, 10:26 PM
Who'd a thought the manual would have pics of it's inside. lol

Mich. Maniac
06-21-2007, 10:57 PM
I have seen a couple of these go through, but not nearly for that price. almost double that with RTR.

SJFE
06-21-2007, 11:09 PM
Love the colors. I'll be picking one up. It's gona ba a cat house here:D.

Doozie870
06-21-2007, 11:46 PM
Sign me up for one, Id rather not turn, than flip.

Diegoboy
06-21-2007, 11:51 PM
I'm getting one too. It's even in my colors already

http://www.diegoboy.com/images/afcwestchamp.jpg

Doozie870
06-21-2007, 11:57 PM
Go Chargers! not :p

hkusp45
06-22-2007, 02:06 AM
Looks good to me! Yes the drive train will need to be addressed but we have already done all the home work!! My converted one is super stable and super fast Should bring a few more into the FE world!!

Piranha2
06-22-2007, 06:38 AM
I shouldn't give Proboat such a hard time, I have beached WOT several times with their ABS hulls and they have held up decent. Plus it's my rescue boat, so I do rely on her.

Doby
06-22-2007, 09:59 AM
Guys;

The SV had some major growing pains when it first came out as well , Mine had 2 speed controllers go before I got a reliable one from Aquacraft as well as 1 motor that just died:(
Just read some of the many forums out there and a lot of people considered them to be junk as well.

By BJ26 electric conversion is doing just fine from a relability standpoint,,,with the factory hardware being used. Just be careful on the turns as it like to relax on its back quite a bit:)

I run consistently in the upper 30's to low 40's on 12 cells and just last week tried 14 cells and hit 46.5 according to my Navibe GPS. The thing flies in a straight line !

My 1/12 Llumar is holding up just as well , running in the low 40's on 14 cells consistently. Last year it hit the shore , full speed on to some rocks, straightened out the rudder and turn fin, put some epoxy on the scratches and it was ready to go the following day.

Proboat desevers credit for getting into the FE market. Sometimes , to much negative bashing prior to a products release can be a great way from discouraging other manufacturers to make the leap to FE.

Every company deserves a chance and as long as they back up their product if things go bad, like Aquacraft did, then good for them.
:)

saleens7
06-22-2007, 10:09 AM
well i hope they put some more work into this proboat than they have in others...i wont be buying one though....i could build one that could go even faster...

ROOSTERTAIL
06-22-2007, 10:38 AM
Guys;

The SV had some major growing pains when it first came out as well , Mine had 2 speed controllers go before I got a reliable one from Aquacraft as well as 1 motor that just died:(
Just read some of the many forums out there and a lot of people considered them to be junk as well.

:) Well I might have to agree with the term JUNK If I have to return items several times and send things back and forth until THEY GET IT RIGHT and it performs as it is it is supposed to, I would consider it junk When I buy something that is new I don't want a bunch of hassle to GET IT RIGHT. QUALITY CONTROL IS PART OF QUALITY AS WELL!!!!

Piranha2
06-22-2007, 11:28 AM
46.5.......14 cells.........u-jointed strudder?????

Doby
06-22-2007, 01:28 PM
Yup, Don't always need to spend a lot of $$$$$ to go fast. So far things are holding together :p

hammertime
06-22-2007, 01:45 PM
i cant wait to see this thing in action........ hope it runs as good as she looks

no stick
06-22-2007, 03:00 PM
Is the 45amp ESC the same as the SV-27 and made by Great Planes with two Ultra connectors in series for 12-14 cells?

Jeepers
06-22-2007, 06:45 PM
Sign me up for one, Id rather not turn, than flip. LOL! I thought you liked the Super Flips?

Piranha2
06-22-2007, 09:02 PM
Yes, I do like the look of it. I just wish they would've done away with the strudder.

Doozie870
06-22-2007, 10:32 PM
I love em, its like taking candy from a baby.

Doozie870
06-23-2007, 07:34 PM
So, has anyone heard when they will be available?

Diegoboy
06-23-2007, 07:56 PM
I emailed horizon, they replied with this...

Dear Mr. Schumbrecht,

Thank you for your inquiry. Our system shows that we expect to
receive our first shipment of Blackjack 26 Brushless RTRs (PRB3300) some
time around the beginning of September.

Sincerely,
Horizon Hobby Sales

That's funny, I quoted them! lol

FE_Chris
06-24-2007, 11:51 AM
Hey, it looks cool, it's brushless, it's 300 bucks. Let's wait and see what happens when it comes out before we judge it to much.

Also, wanted to add...I have one of the ORIGINAL SV27's. Yes, I was that guy at my LHS the day they came in. I have not had one single problem, or issue. Great boat.

Steven Vaccaro
06-25-2007, 12:21 AM
We have some on order. Cant wait to see how they run.

Jeepers
06-25-2007, 02:03 AM
maybe I had better clarify why i called them projunk, some scale modelers here got Proboats classic runabout EP, they brought them to the lake and the wood was delaminated, the speed controls didnt work, and when they sent it back it took them four months to even look at them! then they told our LHS guy that there are only two of them that work at proboat, and they would get to them when they had time. to me thats just wrong! when the guys got them back, the boats looked slightly better then when they left, finish was poor, hatch did not fit properly and the speed controls still didn't work! After seeing those examples I never even gave them a second glance. maybe their quality has come up since then,but I dont know.

FE_Chris
06-25-2007, 07:16 AM
I here ya.....I've had two proboats in my time. Neither one was perfect, but both where right inline with what I paid.

I for one think as long as we can get around 30MPH out of it on 12 cells, it's all good.

But of course 2 questions beg....How many cells or lipos can I cram in this thing, and how many can it really handle!!!! :D

maybe I had better clarify why i called them projunk, some scale modelers here got Proboats classic runabout EP, they brought them to the lake and the wood was delaminated, the speed controls didnt work, and when they sent it back it took them four months to even look at them! then they told our LHS guy that there are only two of them that work at proboat, and they would get to them when they had time. to me thats just wrong! when the guys got them back, the boats looked slightly better then when they left, finish was poor, hatch did not fit properly and the speed controls still didn't work! After seeing those examples I never even gave them a second glance. maybe their quality has come up since then,but I dont know.

SJFE
06-25-2007, 09:53 AM
I will hold off on buying mine untill I have seen some results. Keeping in tradition with what I do to all my boats, The factory electrics will be pulled and replaces with a Feigao, Hex and Spektrum system. Love the hull and paint. I may even paint the Jolly somthing like it for a team look.

Eyekandyboats
06-27-2007, 11:24 AM
only 21,600rpms unloaded....it better use an abnormally large prop....i can tell right away it will never be as good quality as the supervee...and why no interior shots...hmmmmm...are they trying to hide something?
never judge a book by its cover.
How can you make that assumption from just a couple of pictures.
IF YOU RECALL the super vee had quite a lot of manufacturing problems when it started out.
Please Think about your post before you make a assumption.

saleens7
06-27-2007, 11:35 AM
ill give them a chance.....but have you even owned a proboat before?

Eyekandyboats
06-27-2007, 11:37 AM
yes . i own 2 of there controllers and have had them for over 5 years.
I also owned a proboat shokwave way back when and like it quite a bit,

saleens7
06-27-2007, 11:44 AM
i have the SW36 as well....i guess you were one of the lucky ones....many people have had different experiences with them....some of them ran great...others..not as well....why do you think my proboat's being converted to electric?

Eyekandyboats
06-27-2007, 11:45 AM
because you don't have any gas boats.

saleens7
06-27-2007, 11:56 AM
ummm...no...

ill just make a list

-broke flex shaft
-fuel tank leaked
-carb came loose during a run and spewed fuel everywhere
-pressure fitting on exhaust stripped (its threaded?)
-boat would never go over 1/3 throttle, even if i held it at WOT
-rudder broke
-servo stripped
-fuel nipple on carb came lose, i tightened it...losened up again during the run
-drive dog kept on coming loose from the pro shaft
-everytime i tried to adjust needle settings, it just ran worse..leaner or richer...didnt matter
-all 4 screws on the backplate stripped when i tried to take them off
-the radio system glitched like crazy
-every other time i ran it i had to replace the glow plug because it was running too rich, but if i leaned it out a bit, it would stall the second i put it in the water
-i accidentally left fuel in the tank overnight...emptied into the hull
-fuel tank cap leaked so pressure was lost
-carb kept coming loose!!!

thats pretty much it

Eyekandyboats
06-27-2007, 12:27 PM
ok lets take a step back. you got this boat for free and this boat was used quite alot.
any how. back to the topic.

saleens7
06-27-2007, 12:31 PM
wait....are you talking about the SW26 or SW36....in talking about the SW36...the 26 runs ok...the motor does get pretty hot though....

Diegoboy
06-27-2007, 12:45 PM
Pro Boat is great... Pro Boat is bad... Who cares. I own 2 Pro Boats, and I like them both! I'm still gonna be one if the first to get this BL BJ!

Is it September yet?

http://www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/animated/AddEmoticons04223.gif

hkusp45
06-27-2007, 02:00 PM
why do you think my proboat's being converted to electric?

Nitro sucks!!

Mostly in a boat!
Stinky, dirty, messy!!

Nothing good about them!!

My black jack is a convert.
And I love it!!

yz120
06-27-2007, 02:07 PM
I Have One On Order

Diegoboy
06-27-2007, 02:42 PM
My LHS had the Mini-V on the shelf the day before they were available online. I hope, since it's the same mfg, that I will be able to do the same with the BJ.

http://www.addemoticons.com/emoticon/animated/AddEmoticons04252.gif

Diegoboy
06-27-2007, 02:45 PM
Nitro sucks!!

Mostly in a boat!
Stinky, dirty, messy!!

My black jack is a convert.
And I love it!!

I have been told that you can add different scents to the nitro fuel.
http://www2.gpmd.com/image/p/parc8062.jpg

That fixes "stinky", but you can't fix'em all!

Steven Vaccaro
06-27-2007, 03:21 PM
The only issue I have ever had with ProBoat ShockWave 36 was a few that were damaged in shipping. They have been very good. Sounds like you got a lemon.

Someone mentioned problems with the proboat esc, the rc hydro's is my number one selling brushed esc, second is the proboat one. I have had 2 proboat esc returns in about 2 years of selling them! Considering the numbers that left here. Its got a great track record in my book.

Proboat has served the boating community rather well over the last couple of years. Before ProBoat released the ShockWave 36, a boat this size and quality was easily 2-3 times the cost.

As far as I'm concerned ANY fiberglass rtr boat in the sub 300 price range that's half decent is a step in the right direction at this time! I remember the days when a fast out of the box rtr boat did 20mph!

I will wait to reserve my thoughts on the BL26 until I test on for myself.

Flying Scotsman
06-27-2007, 03:51 PM
The only issue I have ever had with ProBoat ShockWave 36 was a few that were damaged in shipping. They have been very good. Sounds like you got a lemon.

Someone mentioned problems with the proboat esc, the rc hydro's is my number one selling brushed esc, second is the proboat one. I have had 2 proboat esc returns in about 2 years of selling them! Considering the numbers that left here. Its got a great track record in my book.

Proboat has served the boating community rather well over the last couple of years. Before ProBoat released the ShockWave 36, a boat this size and quality was easily 2-3 times the cost.

As far as I'm concerned ANY fiberglass rtr boat in the sub 300 price range that's half decent is a step in the right direction at this time! I remember the days when a fast out of the box rtr boat did 20mph!

I will wait to reserve my thoughts on the BL26 until I test on for myself.

Well said Steve, many newbies criticize RTR boats after their purchase because they fail to understand their limitations. They are built to a price point and do not offer the advantage of you buying a bare hull and then installing what you want ..at a great cost..custom boats will cost you $600 minimum.
I purchased an RTR boat to start of with and it was a great learning curve.
As I had no idea of centre of gravity, ESC limitations, and triming a boat with trim tabs, rudder position,flotation,batteries, props, direct drive, gearbox, etc.
The SV27 is a great example of what can be done at a price point, but people will gripe of faults with that design!
Doug

saleens7
06-27-2007, 04:09 PM
i can understand how they build them under price limitations, but i wish they would atleast have a product that was reliable to most of those who bought it....if you look at the SW36 thread over on RCU, there were alot of people that had problems with theirs....most of them were lucky and were an easy fix, but other (me) just kept on having a new problem arise every time i ran it.......i did probably get a "lemon".....im willing to give it a chance and go buy another one, but i dont have the cash to spend on it right now....

Flying Scotsman
06-27-2007, 04:24 PM
i can understand how they build them under price limitations, but i wish they would atleast have a product that was reliable to most of those who bought it....if you look at the SW36 thread over on RCU, there were alot of people that had problems with theirs....most of them were lucky and were an easy fix, but other (me) just kept on having a new problem arise every time i ran it.......i did probably get a "lemon".....im willing to give it a chance and go buy another one, but i dont have the cash to spend on it right now....

RCU, is a site I do not trust, as far as feedback is concerned, OSE and RRR are better and you are a member of both, under different names.
Doug

Steven Vaccaro
06-27-2007, 04:30 PM
Please don't only judge a product by whats said in a forum. Its not fair to the product. Its not fair to you. I understand the problem you had, but it truly does seem you got a lemon. I know for a fact many 1000's of those boats were made. How many people had a problem? How many people ever complain when something goes right? Not many.

If I was a consumer and shopped by whats said on a forum, I would have never bought a Super Vee. There are threads about people complaining about those all over the place. But I own 2 and absolutely love them. I still even use the stock radios.

There are other boats that have truly been clunkers from the start. The ProBoat Miss Bud original was one of them. How about the Caribbean Cruiser. Both boats that people repeatedly had the same exact issues over a long span of sales.

SJFE
06-27-2007, 04:39 PM
Nitro sucks!!

Mostly in a boat!
Stinky, dirty, messy!!

A wise man brought this to my attention when I had made a comment along the line of the one above. It went a little somting like this. Nitro has it's place. It would be verry expensive to build a BIG electrice boat. Nitro is a less expensive alternative for guys who want to go big and don't have alot to spend. To each his own.

quickwedge
06-27-2007, 05:00 PM
Ditto Steve,Let me tell about our dealings with pro boat.my son,my brother in law,best friend and I have 7 sw-36's that we run on a large lake.the only problems we have had were as follows, did not check prop shaft clearance on strut.lost prop and shaft first all out run after break in.one loose nipple in exhaust.I finally stress a hull after much wave jumping {can you say abuse} my friend left fuel in one of his and it leaked out and ate into the hull.this boat he bought used off e-bay,when he called pro boat to buy a new hull they ask what happened and he told them and that it was used when he got it.they said no problem and replaced it any way.I have had no trouble with my t cats,m bud or llumar and I use them hard.needless to say they do require maintenance. I have other boats elect and gas and they require the same.most of these boats we bought because work dose not allow anyone but me time to build, and modify.
Sorry this is so long and for letting me put in my 2 cents.

hkusp45
06-27-2007, 11:47 PM
A wise man brought this to my attention when I had made a comment along the line of the one above. It went a little somting like this. Nitro has it's place. It would be verry expensive to build a BIG electrice boat. Nitro is a less expensive alternative for guys who want to go big and don't have alot to spend. To each his own.

I understand....

I have sold everything that is nitro... I can only now see my garage floor!! I dont mean to bash anything but it is only my opinion in a public fourm. :rolleyes:

The initial coast of FE is only greater. No fuel to buy, no more glow plugs. No more cleaning everything before putting it back in my car. :cool:

Just charge and go!!!;)

SJFE
06-28-2007, 08:19 PM
I agree 100%. I sold of my 1/10 trucks, cars, 1/8th buggies, cars and monster truck long ago because of the endless MESS. It's all electric for me also.

SJFE
06-29-2007, 08:41 PM
Know what...I am going to pass on this boat to be honest. I am going to build somthing custom this winter. I want a scale looking outboard cat.

Diegoboy
07-02-2007, 09:36 PM
Still on the outboard thing huh?
In my mind, an outboard cat only conjures up images of a tunnel hull.

SJFE
07-02-2007, 09:55 PM
Yup. I am going to build a high speed retrieval boat with twins.

Diegoboy
07-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Sweet. I can't wait! :D

SJFE
07-02-2007, 11:18 PM
I'm most likely going to use a blackjack hull. The transom is nice and flat. I will be able to build a couple nice gill brackets. It isent going to be fast fast...It will be running brushed motors. I will prolly use an evx or a set of proboat escs. I just want somthing that can boogie out there in a hurry if need be.

Diegoboy
07-04-2007, 09:34 PM
I just found out that there's a video of the Brushless BJ on Pro Boat's website.
It takes a while to load, but here it is.

Stock Video (http://www.proboatmodels.com/ProdInfo/Files/PRB3300-Hi.wmv)<--

Tunda
07-04-2007, 11:13 PM
not bad just a little slow, but ill take care of that.......................

FE_Chris
07-05-2007, 01:10 AM
LOL....Proboats internet connection sucks. I can DL at uo to 500KB/s. This darn thing was rolling down the pipe at 60KB/s.......

Looks OK for 300 bucks....

hkusp45
07-05-2007, 06:41 AM
I love mine!

Tunda knows how to blow them over!!

This is just what the FE world needed!

hammertime
07-05-2007, 09:56 AM
agreed..........

Tunda
07-06-2007, 12:11 PM
you know it oh i like this hull alot but my next one will be some what slower........................and my drifter s will haul ass........................

G-UNIT
11-20-2009, 09:02 AM
There are always product upgrades through out the devolpment years, yes they could put a different drive on it, yes they could shorten the turn fins ect from the factory, but this is whats makes this fun and intresting, other wise is would be alot more then 299.95.