PDA

View Full Version : lipos and brushed

bwells
04-13-2009, 02:07 AM
dumb question: do lipos and brushed motors go together and if so, for how long?

ED66677
04-13-2009, 04:02 AM
yes they do, I think the issue is just that most brushed motor ESC don't have Lipo cut-off feature, you need to add something like LipoShield or CellShiel from Dimensionengineering!
what do you mean "for how long"? run time?

bwells
04-13-2009, 10:34 PM
no, not run time, I was thinking of it damaging something. So the only concern would be that the lipos may discharge below 3.1 because there is no low voltage cutoff? Everything else is okay? Just currious cause my blackjack 26 has programming for lipo or nimh. Thanks

ED66677
04-14-2009, 02:35 AM
So the only concern would be that the lipos may discharge below 3.1 because there is no low voltage cutoff?
you may want to post in the BJ section to see how others do it! I as far as I know, the stock ESC has no adjustable cut-off!

785boats
04-14-2009, 04:57 AM
bwells.
I don't have one, but I was under the impression that the Blackjack 26 has a Brushless motor in it, not a brushed motor & that the stock brushless ESC has high & low cutout settings for Lipo & metals.

In answer to your first question though, yes, brushed motors & ESCs run fine on Lipos.

I run Lipos in some of my scale boats on 500s, speed 600s & 700s. No problems.

As ED66677 pointed out you will need a lipo shield of some sort, or make sure that you bring the boat in before the batteries drop to that critical 3.0v/cell.
All the best.
Paul.

bwells
04-14-2009, 10:40 PM
sorry for the confusion on the blackjack, yes, it is brushless I was using it as an example but I want to run lipos in a Traxxas Villian which is brushed but I think you answered my question. I s
hould be good to go with lipos and a lipo shield to keep them from discharging below 3.0-3.1 I need more speed on the villian and after doing the Octura x447's it still can't catch the blackjack26. I need an edge but will lipos do it as I didn't see any increase with the props, just 50 bucks and a month balancing them, SV27 maybe? they are one ugly boat though. Thanks

bwells
04-15-2009, 12:19 AM
I other thought, how about 9.6 NiMH and and call it a done deal. It probably can't go more!