PDA

View Full Version : UL-1 accessories ???

BIGDG357
04-12-2009, 09:23 PM
I am pretty new to the boats and li-po set-ups. I have owned my supervee 27 for a little over a year now and i love it. I am running NIMH in the supervee but I have decided to recently purchase a ul-1 from OSE so what i need is a recommendation of a lipo charger which i have been searching for for a while and just can't find any info to help me decide(looking to spend about $150) and batteries .I have been looking on ebay and there are some really cheap batteries but I know cheap is usually not good is this the case here ? Someone told me that the lipo's are basically like computers the internals are the same with a different label. Maybe i'm just giving all the lipo stuff to much thought but it seems confusing to me so hopefully i can get these things together and get this thing wet i'm dying to get it in the water THANKS, Nick

skibo2
04-12-2009, 10:27 PM
I am pretty new to the boats and li-po set-ups. I have owned my supervee 27 for a little over a year now and i love it. I am running NIMH in the supervee but I have decided to recently purchase a ul-1 from OSE so what i need is a recommendation of a lipo charger which i have been searching for for a while and just can't find any info to help me decide(looking to spend about $150) and batteries .I have been looking on ebay and there are some really cheap batteries but I know cheap is usually not good is this the case here ? Someone told me that the lipo's are basically like computers the internals are the same with a different label. Maybe i'm just giving all the lipo stuff to much thought but it seems confusing to me so hopefully i can get these things together and get this thing wet i'm dying to get it in the water THANKS, Nick

Nick, Lipo batteries are not all the same under the covers. You definitely get what you pay for and personally, E-Bay is not the place I would go shopping for batteries. A good quality battery for a UL-1 will cost in the range of $100 up for a good 5000 mah battery which is what that boat has been designed for. My personal choice for my UL-1 is the Max Amps 5250 mah. for pricing go to maxamps.com. My persoanl choice for a charger is the Hyperion line of chargers. Steve at OFE sells a Hyperion model with a built in power supply that he sells for $139. Several of the guys in our club use this charger and love it. Have fun with your new boat.

slyman
04-13-2009, 07:24 AM
It depends what you want to do with the boat. The 5000ma batteries work well in my boat, they supply the power and also enough weight to keep the boat stable. I would look for batteries that have a "C" rating of 25 or better, don't evan consider a bettery that is under 20 "C" you could end up frying them.

I use an M445 balanced and sharpend prop and my speeds are in the mid 40's. I have run the boat with this set up in winds up to 15 MPH and the boat is amazingly steady on the water. This would be a good set up to start with unless you are looking for all out speed.

The COG is affected if you go to smaller (lighter) ma batteries, you will have to play with the trim and air dams to keep the boat in the water.

longballlumber
04-13-2009, 08:35 AM
For Batteries I suggest www.rclipos.com. Nothing under 4000mAh and nothing under 20C rating

As the others mentioned the Hyperion line of chargers are very nice.

BIGDG357
04-13-2009, 08:55 PM
Wow, its going to be quiet expensive to get into the lipos i did not realize the batteries were that costly . Oh well I guess i'll just see how far I can get until the wife stops me.Does anyone know if it would be better to have the 1 duo hyperion or 2 singles the price would be pretty close either way and being the bot requires 2 to run i would like to be able to get 2 ready at once

Brushless55
04-14-2009, 12:54 AM

You will need a battery that can give 60amps cont.
I've seen them for about 40bucks each..

longballlumber
04-14-2009, 07:24 AM
Wow, its going to be quiet expensive to get into the lipos i did not realize the batteries were that costly . Oh well I guess i'll just see how far I can get until the wife stops me.Does anyone know if it would be better to have the 1 duo hyperion or 2 singles the price would be pretty close either way and being the bot requires 2 to run i would like to be able to get 2 ready at once

Big,

I have the Duo currently. I has to be one of the nicesest chargers that I have ever owned (I used to race cars too).

I would reccomend the duo, for the fact that it will charge 2 packs at one time. The interesting part about the duo is when charging 2 packs of the same mah rating and cell count it will balance both packs the same (takes the two 2S packs and charges it like a 4S pack).

Since there is a Duo2 out you might be able to find a used Duo for a good price. Check www.rcgroups.com

Mike

skibo2
04-14-2009, 12:06 PM

Nick, I also use the Hyperion EOSO610i duo and like Longballlumber, I love mine too. I did not mention this one in my original post to you because of the price. You wanted to stay under $150. However, if you can afford it this is the charger to beat all chargers. The new version is out but the only apparent difference is it can also discharge the batteries which the duo 1 cannot. I still reccomend the MaxAmp batteries, they are the only batteries currently on the market that are warrantied to be "water proof" and in a boat, !!! well one less thing to worry about.

longballlumber
04-14-2009, 12:33 PM
Nick, I also use the Hyperion EOSO610i duo and like Longballlumber, I love mine too. I did not mention this one in my original post to you because of the price. You wanted to stay under $150. However, if you can afford it this is the charger to beat all chargers. The new version is out but the only apparent difference is it can also discharge the batteries which the duo 1 cannot. I still reccomend the MaxAmp batteries, they are the only batteries currently on the market that are warrantied to be "water proof" and in a boat, !!! well one less thing to worry about.

Skibo,

If you update the firmware on the orginal Duo you can use what they call a "storage" mode. I will actually discharge the cells to the correct storage voltage.

Miike

Brushless55
04-14-2009, 12:37 PM
Skibo,

If you update the firmware on the orginal Duo you can use what they call a "storage" mode. I will actually discharge the cells to the correct storage voltage.

Miike

That's cool !:rockon2:

skibo2
04-14-2009, 03:38 PM
Skibo,

Miike

Mike, thanks for the info, will check into it

Skibo2

BIGDG357
04-14-2009, 11:34 PM
hey Brushless55 can you get me a site or shop where you found these batteries for 40 bucks

BIGDG357
04-14-2009, 11:54 PM

Skibo2, what about getting 2 Hyperion eos0606i single chargers which would be about the same price .Reason being is that if one charger is unusable for whatever reason there is a backup. I don't know all the bells and whisles that come with these 2 chargers maybe the duo would have more options than the single or vise versa,but its just a thought.As for the $150 charger i would rather not nickel and dime the charger thing if its going to cost more so be it .Thanks for the help, Nick

skibo2
04-15-2009, 01:02 PM
Skibo2, what about getting 2 Hyperion eos0606i single chargers which would be about the same price .Reason being is that if one charger is unusable for whatever reason there is a backup. I don't know all the bells and whisles that come with these 2 chargers maybe the duo would have more options than the single or vise versa,but its just a thought.As for the $150 charger i would rather not nickel and dime the charger thing if its going to cost more so be it .Thanks for the help, Nick

Nick, I would recommend the Duo 2 over the two singles. The Duo has many more features and is more automated than the singles. I think it is a no brainer if you compare the two side by side and feature for feature. I don't think that OSE sells the Duo but I got mine from Maxamps.com and you can buy it in a package deal that saves some money. If you go to Maxamps make sure to sign up for the site and that will give you an automatic 5% discount on the prices. I have dealt with them for two years and they are a good company. One advantage to the 606i is a built in power supply, if you purchase the Duo you will have to purchase a seperate power supply or use a car battery to power the charger. Maxamps sells a good PS (Power Force 20A Power Supply, 12V DC, 110V AC) for $79.99. My recommendation is a PS capable of at least 12 amps. The Duo is capable of 10 amps charge per output but this is more than you will need for now anyway. The recommended charge rate for Lipo batteries is 1C. On a 6000 MAH battery that would be 6 amps and on a 4000 MAH battery it would be 4 amps, etc., etc.