PDA

View Full Version : Another "where to get lipos?" thread..

kwiktsi
04-12-2009, 11:37 AM
OK, this isn't for my boats, but I am looking for some 1800-2200 lipos that can handle a true 20c+ for my planes (the planes pull between 18 and 27 amps depending on the plane).

I purchased some "RCmodelpart" packs from artmall88 on ebay that are supposed to be 20c cont/25 burst 1500mah, but they put out 2 amps and 30 watts less at static load than my 1300 15c packs :(.

I am looking for inexpensive packs- but not at the cost of power. If I have to pay a couple bucks more for packs that work better than these junkers, that's not a problem.

I know I have seen the Rhino/Zippy packs mentioned here- do they put out as advertised, or are they a bit "soft" as well? I just can't believe this cheapie "RC Powepack" 1300/15c that came in a Chinese RTF plane I have puts out more power than this 1500/20c rated pack lol.

Jesse J
04-12-2009, 12:30 PM
Rhino packs, man! Go to HobbyKing and order up a bunch. I think it was $40 for 2S 4900 20C! Go see my datalogger thread, in my hydro I recorded almost IDENTICAL power from a FlightPower 4500mah 30C and a Rhino 4900mah 20C in a 3S setting. I think the only difference will be in number of cycles at the end, the FlightPower being much longer life. Don't know yet, they are still teenagers!

kwiktsi
04-12-2009, 12:42 PM
OK, I'll pick up a couple of them and give them a shot. As for these packs, I think I spoke too soon lol. The pack just came in from being out in the garage charging, where it is about 40 degrees. I didn't realize it was that cold out there :(. I just re-checked it against some other packs now that it is up to temp and it seems to be doing just fine. Actually kicked the snot out of a 1700mah pack I have here- and that's the one I liked for it's "punch". Time will tell, but so far these seemed like a good deal.

I bought 4 of them for $56.90 shipped, so I wasn't expecting too much out of them. As long as they keep up the performance the one just showed me, I'll be more than happy with them!

edit- The only thing I didn't like about them is they are rated for 30 amps, but came with 20 gauge leads on them. I'm sure we all know what 30 amps will do to 20 gauge wire lol! It is easy enough to switch, but does add a buck or so to each pack in materials, plus some time. Still under $16 a pack with shipping though, so not a bad deal at all if they work.