PDA

View Full Version : Cat hull for Twin-8XL's

Simon.O.
04-11-2009, 11:45 PM
Some will consider this a backwards way of doing it but here it is.
I want to wrap a hull arround 2 8XL motors on 4S each.

I feel the E-bay ''Agitator'' is a bit small.
I have read that even a Jolly at 34.5"x 10" is a bit overpowered with twin 8XL

What length can I feasibly go up to and still get 50 mph and a wicked out of the hole launch.
Before anyone says I can get 50mph on a single, forget it. I am going to go twin because I want to. This will not be for SAW or race, pure visual pleasure and the joy of the design and build.

It would help if all Cats were measured from the bow to the rear of the sponson and not the overhang where fitted.

Would a 36"(32"wet) Cat be too big for what I am after.
How about 40" as an absolute max.

Looking forward to some good suggestions guys.

The rigger is coming along well and should get wet in a few weeks.

kevinlew211
04-12-2009, 01:16 AM
Jolly cat is perfect for twin 8xl setup, make it weight around 10lbs overall, if you dont need scale looking, i recomending Aeromarine Sprint cat 36" for best handling

Tony
04-12-2009, 01:20 AM
Have you seen Venom's 52" King Of Shave or Segad hull?

H2OCamel
04-12-2009, 01:27 AM
HPR-115 is awsome on twin 8xl's running x442 counterotating props on 4s that is how mine is set up. it is a 40in hull. 50mph is no sweat. I think for price and peformance Kevin's recomondation of the sprint cat is the one to try.

Simon.O.
04-12-2009, 03:26 AM
HPR-115 is awsome on twin 8xl's running x442 counterotating props on 4s that is how mine is set up. it is a 40in hull. 50mph is no sweat. I think for price and peformance Kevin's recomondation of the sprint cat is the one to try.

Price is not an issue as I will draw and build my own hull.
Given the size of hull I am very surprised and extremly happy that the HPR 115 will do 50 on a pair of 8XL's with 4S.
I assume you still have yours ?

I love the HPR 115, Kevins boat is my desktop pic.

What I will do now is what I did with Paddy (Xzessperated) and ask for some photos of the hull. From there we will back and forth e-mails untill I have some basic proportions and dimensions.
Then I sketch, draft, and build by eye......That is how I work. !!:cool:

kevinlew211
04-13-2009, 01:20 AM
i sold my Hpr115 while ago, now i own an HPR07, i started the threat somewhere here, btw, of course you will get up to 50mph with hpr115 on twin 4s setup, even with 8xl or 1515s if you have extra cash.:laugh:

DISAR
04-13-2009, 04:23 AM
This page has HPR06 115cm x 28cm, (45"x11") setups, one of them is
2x Feigao 8XL, 2x YGE 120 Navy, 2x 4500 5s1p
Andy Brown x442, 3/16 flex, 107 kmh

http://hpr06.speedtoy.com/setup.htm

The Sprintcat 40 is (35.5" x 13.5") and considered to be very successful and you could try the bigger Sprintcat (42") as well, or the Conquest 43". The Aeromarines are very stable boats because of the extra width and I think much cheaper than the HPR.
Here is a photo of my Sprintcat40

Simon.O.
04-14-2009, 05:19 AM
This page has HPR06 115cm x 28cm, (45"x11") setups, one of them is
2x Feigao 8XL, 2x YGE 120 Navy, 2x 4500 5s1p
Andy Brown x442, 3/16 flex, 107 kmh

http://hpr06.speedtoy.com/setup.htm

The Sprintcat 40 is (35.5" x 13.5") and considered to be very successful and you could try the bigger Sprintcat (42") as well, or the Conquest 43". The Aeromarines are very stable boats because of the extra width and I think much cheaper than the HPR.
Here is a photo of my Sprintcat40

Dimitrios.
That is the sort of info that I am after.
A HPR on twin 8XL's clearing 100km/h. That is more than I am after at this point with a Cat but is good to know.
I have seen a sprint cat and to be honest it is not my taste.

I want to do something that is semi-scale and look really nice.
The Mystic hull has very nice lines with the tapered rear and that is one of the design inspirations that I will use.

This will be for Private SAW type runs. It is me and the birds at my local ponds except for the Sunday invasion of the flappy boats. Those things that float with a stick in the middle.:rofl:

I will go to the local stationary store tomorrow to get some large card so I can make some profiles and start work on a hull design.

Don't panic the rigger is coming on well and should be in the water in 2 weeks.

andym
04-14-2009, 05:38 AM
Simon I do not care which one you base your design on it will ROCK !! You are one of the foremost wooden boat builders around today!! If there is anything I can Donate to this build please let me know. I have built Wild things from plans, Whiplash from plans and kits, renegade riggers the same but to watch someone build from a picture makes me look stupid. YOU ARE THE GURU,

DISAR
04-14-2009, 05:56 AM
Simon,

I know a person who did what exactly you want to do! Here is the vid of his boat, made from wood(!) from scratch. I do not think that he is a member here though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3mMSfcAqYc

I will ask him if I can send you his photos

Gerwin Brommer
04-14-2009, 06:34 AM
Simon.

Why don't you just re-scale the Dutch designed cat(s) ??
Jellema cat and Maxcat

lomdel
04-14-2009, 09:21 AM
Simon.

Why don't you just re-scale the Dutch designed cat(s) ??
Jellema cat and Maxcat

Whaaaat? Any links to these??

DISAR
04-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Simon,

I know a person who did what exactly you want to do! Here is the vid of his boat, made from wood(!) from scratch. I do not think that he is a member here though.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3mMSfcAqYc

I will ask him if I can send you his photos

Simon, he says Ok. If you are interested please tell me and I will post them or to send them somewhere? Sample

Gerwin Brommer
04-14-2009, 11:13 AM
http://www.xtremercboats.com/phpBB/download/file.php?id=21482
Dutch maxcat.

Gerwin Brommer
04-14-2009, 11:21 AM
Dutch design, from Jurriaan Jellema, called : Cold Cannon.

You can ask for plans : mailto:hawaiboy5 (at)hotmail(dot)com

ED66677
04-14-2009, 01:19 PM
this is a awesome build!
how does this hull perform? any vids?

Simon.O.
04-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Dimitrios
That wooden cat is very nice. The paint or finishing coat is amazing. That is art !! :bowdown:
Those are enough to get me some shapes. Feel free to post more to me at overys@yahoo.com

Gerwin
I have seen the build at Xtremeboats. I can't read Dutch but when you are just looking at pics that doesn't matter. It is amazing what I can pick up just looking at the words and numbers and from there I can get a lot of data.

There is a very nice 36" Balsa cat on RRR. I need to wait until the pics ar back up and then will start downloading and printing them.
I have a few from the Cold Cannon thread.

Lastly I need to collate a set of basic dimensions from a proven design and then it is a matter of proportioning them all.
The big cat owners know that some long PM's are coming !!!:eek:

Drawing will begin in a few days.
The hardware is already started. :thumbup1:

DISAR
04-15-2009, 08:47 AM
Simon,

I sent you the photos. There are no detail plans. My friend made the boat only from this site

http://mysticpowerboats.com/boat%20models/c5000/index.html

lomdel
04-15-2009, 08:54 AM
Simon,

I sent you the photos. There are no detail plans. My friend made the boat only from this site

http://mysticpowerboats.com/boat%20models/c5000/index.html

Here is a compilation of that boat I'm using to try and build a 3D CAD model using www.3dboatdesign.com software. All elevations is to relevant scale.

Simon.O.
04-19-2009, 06:35 AM
Given the appalling state of our dollar I have to look at other motors.

This one
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store/uh_viewItem.asp?idProduct=6678&Product_Name=KD36-74-09XL_1900kv_Brushless_Inrunner

The kV is 91% of a 8XL which to me is fine, given that a pair of 8XL's will throw the Hpr 115 over 60MPH

I know it is not as good as a Feigao but dollars count.
Comments ??

ED66677
04-19-2009, 07:09 AM
Simon,
I agree that dollar count, but these are really not worth the money, a friend had one, same KV as you linked, on his Synchron, couldn't get a descent speed unless pulling 100+ amp!
he went for a Feigao 8XL and got twice the speed with half average amp draw!
forget it!

ozzie-crawl
04-19-2009, 07:16 AM
i have one of those simon in a 6xl make sure you undo the front plate (unscrews) and add some locktite other wise they spin undone, the magnet on mine spun on the shaft aswell but some bearing lock fixed that, to be fair on the motor i was pulling around 45000 rpm :eek:

H2OCamel
04-19-2009, 04:08 PM
Simon,
here is some video on my HPR-115 running twin 8xl's driving counte-rotating x442's running 4s 5000 elites with a pair of cc HV110's the glitching was caused by my custom dual pixie stick to pistol adapter that caused the j-hooking and the final death roll. Everything survived and came back to shore under it's own power. the video gives you an idea of the speed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ztpGTpfdntE&feature=channel_page
cheers,
Chris

tylerm
04-19-2009, 11:01 PM
DO NOT GET THE RED MOTORS!
I got one in and shoved it in a mates cambell classic and it runs red hot(even on small prop) and not that fast:mad:
I like the price as well at first, but now I wouldnt give you two bob for one.

Simon.O.
04-20-2009, 03:27 AM
Ok ok guys I get it now, no cheapo no name amp burning boat heating motors.:smile:

This project will now go on the back burner, may even get pushed off the stove.
Our dollar sucks right now and a pair of Feigao 8XL's plus speedies is a bit steep at the moment.
I still have all the data and knowledge gathered for this project so when I am ready to do a big twin I am prepared.

To all of those who have helped so far, thank you very much.

I have an interesting fleet for now and will expand when the our dollar gets better.

ozzie-crawl
04-20-2009, 04:29 AM
i know were your coming from there i have acouple of projects at the moment that are going slow because of the dollar, i have been thinking of two of the ul-1 packages steve sells would be the cheapest way out an still provied reasonable performance but thats still over $500

lomdel
04-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Here is the answer to a hull (34") for that twin 8XL's of yours : http://www.venom-group.com/itemdesc.asp?ic=VEN%2D1810 . You can buy the hull and hatch separately as well as all the drive hardware. Scroll down the replacement parts list. Not that expensive too...